Budget project roadster

Started by Jacobsprky, January 10, 2017, 01:25

PhilMC

Sounds good Jacob, you've been busy.
Ex-1zz and 2zz 2005 Roadster owner  \":flame:\" .

shnazzle

Quite enjoyed the read so far. Proper ghetto engineering job  s:D :D s:D  Love the Frankenstein exhaust
...neutiquam erro.

Jacobsprky

yeh i like to keep busy philmc, glad you enjoyed the read and i still have a few ghetto engineering jobs to perform shanazzle hehe! a small update as have just typed a long post again near the end and laptop decides to go back a page! Visited car tonight and its looking very shiny and dent free! going down Saturday to try and get most if not all back together as well as fitting a few bits of eye candy u will have to wait for pics..... Not copying philmc (copying is supposed to be flattery). was thinking of doing under front and back number plates on bumpers in black, seems a shame to spray over someones hard work and fresh paint, so may see if i like the fresh paint, did like the black on philmcs so may wrap or if my brother still has some black plastidip. also windscreen frame is defiantly going black. One of the only areas of bodywork that suffered with rust, (maybe because windscreen was changed and paint got damaged?) maybe an area to watch on older cars. thats all for now folks .........
01 Silver PFL

Jacobsprky

on a plus note now i have over 30 posts i can see members for sale section so im sure i will get a few bits from there at some point, iv already seen many bits id like. just need a bigger wallet at the mo   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:
01 Silver PFL

Pnewalsh05

Nice one Jacobsparky looking really good - impressive work!

Jacobsprky

yeh i like to keep busy philmc, glad you enjoyed the read and i still have a few ghetto engineering jobs to perform shanazzle hehe! a small update as have just typed a long post again near the end and laptop decides to go back a page! Visited car tonight and its looking very shiny and dent free! going down Saturday to try and get most if not all back together as well as fitting a few bits of eye candy u will have to wait for pics..... Not copying philmc (copying is supposed to be flattery). was thinking of doing under front and back number plates on bumpers in black, seems a shame to spray over someones hard work and fresh paint, so may see if i like the fresh paint, did like the black on philmcs so may wrap or if my brother still has some black plastidip. also windscreen frame is defiantly going black. One of the only areas of bodywork that suffered with rust, (maybe because windscreen was changed and paint got damaged?) maybe an area to watch on older cars. thats all for now folks .........
01 Silver PFL

Jacobsprky

thank you pnewalsh05.
01 Silver PFL

Jacobsprky

sorry for double posting was at the time the site was playing about! Update got on well on Saturday, in order of completion new crash bar fitted, new headlights in with xenon type/look main bulbs led side lights. front bumper on then new front number plate. Rear bumper on with new plate, led bulbs already in number plate light. Wing mirrors on and external weatherstrip. ( i found these an absolute pig to get of there is a real Knack to them u kind of have to twist them towards the window. i found this out after. breaking first side, manged to repair. then spent about half hour on the other side and still damaged it! could get them of in minutes now with no damage. then door cards back on. thats as far as i got as we were "going out for a meal dont be late". after this chap doing the paint work done the satin black on rear bumper. only got one pic that day.....

[attachment=0:axu7lyra] ia0 mixed 2016 pictures 134 (Large).jpg ia0 [/attachment:axu7lyra]
01 Silver PFL

Jacobsprky

Done in 2 posts in case laptop messes up!

Tonight bin down to car Paint man said hes happy with finish now, masked up where i wanted Front satin black under number plate. he said i can do it around windscreen surround, ( i think because he initially wanted screen out to properly sort corrosion out.) so i gave it all a key, really roughed up rusty bit, it actually goes under seal a little bit, then put sum hammerite kurust on rust. Then went home for dinner and see family!  s:D :D s:D  

went back down black had been done on front bumper, masked up surround gave it another rub and pannel wiped then sprayed some filler primer on, rubbed down and then blacked. gave it a bit then de masked, cleaned windows and wiped some dust out of interior. PROPPER CLEAN SUNDAY! car is now done except for splashguards as the new clips i got are to big 8-9mm, did use some to have to fix the rear bumper on tho. ordered some 6-7mm on sunday so should be able to fit them soon. Picking car up tomorrow night, if not realy raining/wet as no splashguards on. Really pleased with how the car looks now, its hard to get a proper look in a small garrage, so far so good!  s:D :D s:D  

car has also been debadged at this time, and took opportunity to fit front tow strap. a few pics in a small garrage. Will put sum up on Sunday after a mass clean/detail as long as weather hold off. All for now Jacob.

[attachment=0:2unzkz58] ia0 mixed 2016 pictures 129 (Large).jpg ia0 [/attachment:2unzkz58]

[attachment=1:2unzkz58] ia1 mixed 2016 pictures 132 (Large).jpg ia1 [/attachment:2unzkz58]

[attachment=2:2unzkz58] ia2 mixed 2016 pictures 131 (Large).jpg ia2 [/attachment:2unzkz58]
01 Silver PFL

Jacobsprky

quick update..

still have to fit splashguards since being back from paint. now have the right sized clips, thought a bit of rust proofing was in order so cleaned under the arches and sprayed fresh underseal with added waxoil in for the bits not covered by the guards, for the other bits under there had some dynax clear wax unfortunately ran out pick sum more up tomorow so not back together! this gave me time to sort wheel nuts out and clean wheels. about for months ago wizzed over the nuts with a wire brush on drill to clean them up, this worked fine but the base of the nut has a plated washer which has now corroded leaving rust marks in wheel nut centres. so repeated again masked up just to paint the washers. hope this will last for a bit. i did actually buy new locking wheel nuts and nuts, however the quality looked so poor i did not bother using them and just cleaned the old ones up. All for now Jacob

[attachment=0:2nrvjakf] ia0 mixed 2016 pictures 138 (Large).jpg ia0 [/attachment:2nrvjakf]
01 Silver PFL

Jacobsprky

Big put together and clean up today! got splashguards on and wheels back on. usual washing done and done inside, ran out of time to polish so thats next Sunday. also fitted a new gear knob when in paint shop. took out for quick spin today and has made a good differance to gearchanges. its slightly weighted and taller than stock knob. i think beacose its larger you can grab it better and apply more force to it. still want to do the box oil at some point. a few more cosmetic bits to do/maintainance/upgrading to do. maybe in a years time car will be how i want it! .....

a few pics

[attachment=1:1c6pqwb3] ia1 mixed 2016 pictures 143 (Large).jpg ia1 [/attachment:1c6pqwb3]

[attachment=2:1c6pqwb3] ia2 mixed 2016 pictures 144 (Large).jpg ia2 [/attachment:1c6pqwb3]

[attachment=0:1c6pqwb3] ia0 mixed 2016 pictures 145 (Large).jpg ia0 [/attachment:1c6pqwb3]
01 Silver PFL

Jacobsprky

[attachment=0:1auk8jxu] ia0 mixed 2016 pictures 141 (Large).jpg ia0 [/attachment:1auk8jxu]

[attachment=1:1auk8jxu] ia1 mixed 2016 pictures 142 (Large).jpg ia1 [/attachment:1auk8jxu]

excuse poor quality of some pics. so far now think the car looks good and a damm sight better than when i originally got it. im thinking of some Black Stripes maybe! all for now Jacob
01 Silver PFL

Jacobsprky

Not much done recently, Put on TOW stickers, put in coin holder to fill hole in dash, tried to repair Aerial twice still no luck. got new mast and ribbon, that grinded more than the original so no good, blobed the end of original which worked for a few days. Will have to get second hand motor and mast unit. Just ordered front Flebay rubber lip so all not bad. All for now Jacob
01 Silver PFL

Jacobsprky

Front rubber lip is now on looks good, Spoiler is on which a kind member on here gave to me. Manged to give car a good run yesterday roof down. it was brilliant performed flawlessly, whilst on the run i appreciated a bit of improvement done to gear knob. basically attached properly so it was not spinning and lowered it as much as possible, it has made a massive change to the gear change feels slick now, id say a 50% improvement than before. not much going on at the mo relay just giving things a good detailing polishing/waxing body. with the lighter evenings coming up may attempt my roof patches which iv had since Christmas.  s:) :) s:)  

[attachment=0:3r266u1a] ia0 mixed 2016 pictures 146 (Large).jpg ia0 [/attachment:3r266u1a]

[attachment=1:3r266u1a] ia1 mixed 2016 pictures 147 (Large).jpg ia1 [/attachment:3r266u1a]

[attachment=2:3r266u1a] ia2 mixed 2016 pictures 150 (Large).jpg ia2 [/attachment:3r266u1a]
01 Silver PFL

Jacobsprky

got a bit done and more to follow, got round to fitting air inlet trumpet, more for looks really, tho once the rear light was back in you cant even see it! as a result of fitting it the cars induction growl has increased quite a bit so maybe its musical after all.

[attachment=1:1nfqhciq] ia1 mixed 2016 pictures 155 (Large) (2).jpg ia1 [/attachment:1nfqhciq]

[attachment=0:1nfqhciq] ia0 mixed 2016 pictures 154 (Large) (2).jpg ia0 [/attachment:1nfqhciq]
01 Silver PFL

Jacobsprky

Also done the throttle body coolant bypass, been wanting to do for a while. Found info on spyder chat on how to do ect, seems to make sense to me not heating the tb with coolant, thus hopfully making the air going through cooler. not expecting any noticeable hp increase (not detectable in butt dyno anyway) once again another budget mod, hose clamps already had and some scavenged bits of copper pipe some was from an air con system but was to big, best fit was some microbore plumbing pipe. still was a fiddle tho, lost quite a bit of coolant so had to refill. done in preparation of removing tb, is it just held on with the 4 nuts/bolts that i remember seeing? if anyone could answer id appreciate it. some more works to come in the next few weeks hopfully. Cheers.

[attachment=2:2kmu29zi] ia2 mixed 2016 pictures 153 (Large).jpg ia2 [/attachment:2kmu29zi]

[attachment=1:2kmu29zi] ia1 mixed 2016 pictures 152 (Large).jpg ia1 [/attachment:2kmu29zi]

[attachment=0:2kmu29zi] ia0 mixed 2016 pictures 151 (Large).jpg ia0 [/attachment:2kmu29zi]
01 Silver PFL

Jacobsprky

Hi, all.

been a while have been a bit distracted recently doing a bit of maintenance on....

[attachment=1:1vl9e4ub] ia1 mixed 2016 pictures 159 (Large).jpg ia1 [/attachment:1vl9e4ub]

now all done, so hopefully some good holidays ahead. first real time i have had in a while to update postings.

just before getting the van done the gearbox oil, big difference in shifting

[attachment=0:1vl9e4ub] ia0 mixed 2016 pictures 168 (Large).jpg ia0 [/attachment:1vl9e4ub]

after this started to get some horrible noises coming from car turned out to be bottom idler pulley wheel, so hopefully a new one and tensioner pulley wheel and belt will cure this. hopfully get them on this week. also i have ordered a non ac belt as the systems not gassed atm anyway so maybe a bif of free power!
01 Silver PFL

Jacobsprky

Also on that late night of finding horrible noises manged to get a few bits done, fitted K&N filter put together silicone hose intake and fitted, got TB of cleaned it all up had a good look inside, think its possible to do some diy porting on it later. Also cut the mesh out of gasket between Tb and intake. Only used some cutters, will tidy up later with a dremmel. Is there a noise increase? yes but only very slightly. Is there a power increase? id like to say yes, id say it was slightly noticeable at higher revs tad quicker. I cant say what or if all of the above has helped, the old air filter was slightly dirty, as was inside of the tb. i also done a maf clean and ecu reset. So i think it was a productive evening!  s:D :D s:D  unfortunately due the bad pulleys i havent been running the car for a few/3 weeks and have had no time. but when i did run it no poor running issues.

[attachment=0:xgmam5p2] ia0 mixed 2016 pictures 164 (Large).jpg ia0 [/attachment:xgmam5p2]

[attachment=1:xgmam5p2] ia1 mixed 2016 pictures 165 (Large).jpg ia1 [/attachment:xgmam5p2]

[attachment=2:xgmam5p2] ia2 mixed 2016 pictures 166 (Large).jpg ia2 [/attachment:xgmam5p2]
01 Silver PFL

Jacobsprky

[attachment=0:1ckqg63f] ia0 mixed 2016 pictures 163 (Large).jpg ia0 [/attachment:1ckqg63f]

[attachment=1:1ckqg63f] ia1 mixed 2016 pictures 162 (Large).jpg ia1 [/attachment:1ckqg63f]

some more pics
01 Silver PFL

Jacobsprky

long time again...

have been busy this weekend fitting toyosports manifold,new studs, weld in 3inch sports cat, new mats and frunk clips.

It now sounds like a boy racers dream! hoping it may get a bit quieter. as for performance bit more torque low down and bit better top end, or seems to be. I liked the look of the red thermowrap, after a good run and lots of smoke its now all gone gold/yellow so that was a waste of time.

[attachment=0:2jd0s75i] ia0 mixed 2016 pictures 175 (Large).jpg ia0 [/attachment:2jd0s75i]

[attachment=1:2jd0s75i] ia1 mixed 2016 pictures 176 (Large).jpg ia1 [/attachment:2jd0s75i]

all for now peeps, Jacob
01 Silver PFL

davew

nice work ,i'm doing a similar job on a exhaust for mine i can't believe the price of exhausts there is no way i'm paying £400+ for a back box, can i just asked how you sorted out a hanger for the back box that's the only part i'm struggling with.

Jacobsprky

Thankyou. some of the prices for parts are high compared with other cars. for the exhaust hanger i basically welded in a T piece in the center of the box and welded the old mounts from the butchered boxes, took a bit of time to get get it to sit level. there is also one hanger just above the exit as well. If i were to do it again i would have welded two rods on the box smaller gauge so could be bent easily the get the right angles and height the put the mounts on those. Try having a look at mr2 mk3 team moon exhausts on google images should give you some idea. Good luck fabricating!
01 Silver PFL

davew

cheers thanks i think i will weld some rods on the box.

Tags: