So the project starts

Started by Ulphie, January 10, 2017, 08:22

Ulphie

Morning all
I have just purchased a 2002 Blue 2 engine looks and sounds fine however it has loads of advisories at the last MOT regarding surface corrosion on practically all the suspension items. I got undernieth last night and it does not look to bad, I can see what they are saying though.
I am back in the game after a 20 year lay off I used to play with Triumphs so 2 are just a tad different. Also I have never tackled suspension work rebuilt engines sorted breaks but never touched an anti roll bar in my life.
First question if it is only surface corrosion do I just get underneath with a wire brush plenty of elbow greese and a load of Waxoyd?
Second if I decide to do a "Proper job and take the suspension apart (maybe polybush the lot) how difficult is it for an amateur?
Bluetwo 2ZZ  TTE exhaust sport cat 6 speed box Àpexi air induction rear spoiler mr2 scuff plates lowered springs charcoal anthracite alloys Goodrich\'s braided brake lines matts brace

beavisrules

If only surface, wire brush , strips of 80 grit sand belt then smoothrite it!.

The whole of the rear subframe and rods/roll bar can be dropped as a lump fairly easily if you have ramps or good axle stands.
You'll need a sturdy tool kit , big beaker bar & 6 point sockets to work with the rusty nuts/bolts.

There is a good chance if your subframe looks rusty it may have a few small holes where it's hard to see (near the cat), get your phone in there to look.
It's an easy car to work on , the plastics and shields in the bay gave me most trouble with broken bolts  s:( :( s:( .

Easy car to work on , if you don't mind the occasional drilling/tapping of a small bolt is a stupid place.

Ulphie

Many thanks I have the luxury of a pit so access should be quite good although mighty mucky. Work will start soon so hope to get some good before and after photo's. My son is also going to do a blog so should be fun  s:crazyeyes: :crazyeyes: s:crazyeyes:  With all the history docs we found a CD which has the toyota Maintanence manual so at least we can see what it is meant to look like.
Also Happy to shre this with anyone on here if needed.
Bluetwo 2ZZ  TTE exhaust sport cat 6 speed box Àpexi air induction rear spoiler mr2 scuff plates lowered springs charcoal anthracite alloys Goodrich\'s braided brake lines matts brace

disssoof

Would appreciate a copy of the CD.
Happy to pay postage costs...

shnazzle

Can you please keep sharing of the CDs with copyrighted information off the forum? As this is illegal...and Toyota have been in touch about this in the past.
...neutiquam erro.

disssoof

I apologise....
I will manage without a copy of the CD.

insx

Mine has a full MOT as of today with no advisories  s;-) ;-) s;-)

Shnazzle, what is TWOCing? I keep wondering.

shnazzle

Quote from: "disssoof"I apologise....
I will manage without a copy of the CD.
Not a problem. I have no reason to believe that the copy above isn't legitimate, so that's a great resource maybe that can be lent out. But the content must not go any further.

Quote from: "insx"Mine has a full MOT as of today with no advisories  s;-) ;-) s;-)

Shnazzle, what is TWOCing? I keep wondering.
haha "Taking Without Owners Consent". I took my wife's MR2 to work without her permission and someone ended up crashing into it. This won me the 2016 pants of shame
...neutiquam erro.

insx

Now I know, but I would have thought you'd have learned your lesson in 2015...

Ulphie

OK thanks for the info re the CD happy to "lend" it out hopefully have a Essex meet when the Weather improves. Not taking her out of her nice warm garage in this muck   s:scared: :scared: s:scared:

Essex2Visuvesi

Quote from: "Ulphie"OK thanks for the info re the CD happy to "lend" it out hopefully have a Essex meet when the Weather improves. Not taking her out of her nice warm garage in this muck   s:scared: :scared: s:scared:

The International MR2 Owners club have a monthly meet at "The Grange" in Boreham (near Chelmsford) and members of MR2ROC are welcome
Nice crowd of people even if they do prefer the MK2 and good food to boot
Next meet is Thursday 12/01

You dont need to be in an MR2... last few times I have appeared in an Alfa Romeo, and one chap was in a 90's Porsche 911

Ulphie

Sounds good Mid week may be a problem what time do y all get together

Essex2Visuvesi

Abou 7:30 -8:00

Ulphie

Thanks for the advice going back to this surface rust would you suggest removing the susspension parts or is it possible to do this with the suspension in situ?

Ulphie

So not a great start first nut and it breaks ooops fortunately it was only the break sensor support mount the good part the front suspension is reacting well to a good steel brush the drop link from the arb looks a bit thin what are your thoughts on replacement the ARL it self looks pretty easy to remove and I can then give it some Welly with the wire brush

Tags: