removing rusted bolts

Started by Ulphie, January 16, 2017, 13:12

Ulphie

The underside of my 2002 "2" is a little more coroded than initialy indicated well some bits are. First job was to remove front ARL and clean it up. The drop links are coroded more than I would like so they are going to be repalced. the bolts are seriously coroded and most will need cutting off. Has anyone used a hoby drill with cutting disks to do this as my angle grinder is going to struggle to get in the space? Any advice on removal of rusty nuts would be very very welcome. (please ndont suggest Pro gas or WD40 as I have gone through cans of the stuff
Bluetwo 2ZZ  TTE exhaust sport cat 6 speed box Àpexi air induction rear spoiler mr2 scuff plates lowered springs charcoal anthracite alloys Goodrich\'s braided brake lines matts brace

shnazzle

A diamond crusted hobby disc works fine. Just takes a bit longer.

Dremel sell some metal cutting discs as well. I bought a little box of 2 ans only used one so far. Cut a lot of metal.
...neutiquam erro.

Ulphie

Great news I was pulling my hair out a bit.
Bluetwo 2ZZ  TTE exhaust sport cat 6 speed box Àpexi air induction rear spoiler mr2 scuff plates lowered springs charcoal anthracite alloys Goodrich\'s braided brake lines matts brace

beavisrules

I use a nut splitter that works in those places angle grinder cant get.
not my favorite tool though , Id rather put the effort in to dropping the required parts to get better access.

Ulphie

Thanks I will have a look at a nut splitter. The ARB support and bush are just akward and would necesitate the removal of the whole hub assembly to get really good access. It may be that I go down that route anyway just weighing up my options at the mo.

Ulphie

Has anyone come across these are they any use as an altenative?
 m https://www.machinemart.co.uk/p/5-piece-bolt-grip-set/ m

insx

I was expecting some of this trouble during my rad swap yesterday but the nuts that looked horribly rusted came undone quite nicely after a squirt of GT-85. I guess the ones that are subject to a lot of road spray are a lot worse.

Ulphie

Tell me about it I have the bloody knuckles to prove it. the fist one which holds the abs sensor lead broke in half. Got the ones of at the base of the drop links but the main ones to the ARB are a real pig and that was my Sunday dohhh

Essex2Visuvesi

Quote from: "Ulphie"Has anyone come across these are they any use as an altenative?
 m https://www.machinemart.co.uk/p/5-piece-bolt-grip-set/ m

A handy tool for the box... very useful

secla

Yup those Irwins are good for rounded heads

I got the roll bar of one of my cars easily, the other one every single bolt snapped. As said the best way is to remove stuff in the way but that can also lead to other problems

Essex2Visuvesi

A little tip with the Irwins.... Dont try to use heat with them as it softens the metal too much and can cause issues

Another farmers trick is a 50/50 mix of diesel and automatic/powersteering fluid

Ulphie

Many thanks for the advice back to it tonight if wins have been ordered even if I can move some I am certain the back will be worse

Ulphie

So all 4 nuts broke in the mounting bracket any ideas or tips on to how to remove them without removing the whole of the front suspension arm which looks a real pain

Tags: