My Black 2002 Roadster...

Started by Kenny_G, January 18, 2017, 15:13

Kenny_G

Hi All,

I thought I'd start my little project diary... I'm hoping its not going to be more "I've changed this" rather than "I've had to fix this" but we shall see...

A bit about myself, I live in Dundee, have done all my life and I work in IT.

I've been into cars since I passed my test - very little interest in them before I did actually - My first car was a 106... and I remember picking up a max power with a 106 maxi on the cover.. and needless to say an obsession was born. I've had a variety of cars.. most of which have been modified in some way or another.. I was actively involved with the local car scene and helped run all the local "cruise" sites and spent far to many of my younger days hanging about with the local car nuts in car parks. Then my daughter came along and most of that stopped... but back to the cars!

A few highlights

[attachment=2:17r6ih8x] ia2 1917319_209934161174_3470891_n.jpg ia2 [/attachment:17r6ih8x]
My '94 Calibra, started off as a automatic... converted it to a manual and spent 5+ years spending far to much money on it...

[attachment=1:17r6ih8x] ia1 1917319_209936096174_2203666_n.jpg ia1 [/attachment:17r6ih8x]
My '94 Nissan Skyline R33 GTST  - was running 380bhp and scared the crap out of me everytime - loved it! Ended up selling it fund going to university

[attachment=0:17r6ih8x] ia0 2133_10151069873391175_1294386661_n.jpg ia0 [/attachment:17r6ih8x]
My next R33 - which I bought after I finished university - a graduation present to myself. It wasn't as tuned but my previous but I enjoyed it... and my daughter also loved the noise of it (was about 5 at the time... Daddy's noisy car)

I then got a e46 convertible... which met its end on black ice and into a brand new Audi...and after a few "sensible" cars I decided to get a fun wee car for the weekends as I don't have to drive during the week......

My first proper "project mr2" post will follow this one  s:) :) s:)

Kenny_G

So onto my roadster.....

I'm currently saving for a house, so I was using a 03 Renault clio as a run around that I bought for £500 with a years MOT on it... bit of a performance stepdown but it was just for getting my daughter and I around at the weekends. I was idling looking at gumtree when this little beauty came up... the clio only had a couple of months mot left and after I smashed up my last convertible without having actually been able to enjoy the summer with it - I had an itch to scratch......

It was advertised at £1500 78,000 miles, MOT until September recent clutch, hardtop etc included... Normally I'd skip over the ads but I thought I'd check out the MOT history - which was pretty decent... I messaged the seller and arranged to have a look the next day.

[attachment=1:1um2otft] ia1 15826219_10154052491631175_1425705682119452051_n.jpg ia1 [/attachment:1um2otft]

The seller was an older gentleman who was selling as he was having difficulty getting in and out of the it anymore.. it looked pretty good, drove well and apart from needing a clean inside and out I was pretty happy with the condition.... in the end I got it for £900 with the little Clio as p/x.

[attachment=0:1um2otft] ia0 15871628_10154052491641175_1349267010471880678_n.jpg ia0 [/attachment:1um2otft]

There are a few niggles.... The remote key doesn't work, and is held together with tape - so that needs seeing to, the ariel doesn't work but I suspect the aftermarket head unit is the cause there, I hate style of the wheels so will be changing them... and I've not actually driven it with the roof down yet - the day I picked it up it was rubbish and ever since there has been rain and snow   s:roll: :roll: s:roll:  I did take it down the jet wash with the soft-top up to check for leaks - the roof looks pretty much brand new so no issues there. The headlamps could do with a good clean but other than that I'm happy enough

I'm going to ask a friend with a garage to give it a full going over and get any issues fixed before i start making plans ... bearing in mind I'm still saving for a house deposit I may not make many changes... but I've had the modifying bug for a long time and after a few dull / sensible cars (Audi A3 TDI, BMW 520d, Clio 1.2 16v x 2 etc) I'm looking forward to unearthing my tools and getting my hands dirty   s8) 8) s8)

Essex2Visuvesi

those wheels would work better if the car sat a little lower on them

Kenny_G

Quote from: "Essex2Visuvesi"those wheels would work better if the car sat a little lower on them

Maybe - I'll have to do a bit of photoshopping, they are in rough condition though and would need a refurb I think  -not so much kerbing more lacquer peel  - they will do for the moment and could always use them for winter wheels.

I quite like the look of this style of wheel though - maybe not as big a wheel though ...

I think they will be a future modification though ... with perhaps some lowering springs at the same time

Tags: