In big trouble any advice would be welcome

Started by Ulphie, January 21, 2017, 17:47

Ulphie

As per some previous posts I am replacing my arb and bolts keep breaking today I have been trying to remove the front lower suspension arm and another snapped bolt this time bolt top attached to the bolt with the main bush. I have no idea how to sort this any help would be really really welcome getting desperate now
Bluetwo 2ZZ  TTE exhaust sport cat 6 speed box Àpexi air induction rear spoiler mr2 scuff plates lowered springs charcoal anthracite alloys Goodrich\'s braided brake lines matts brace

beavisrules

pics would help as I can picture what 'main bush' you mean.

Ulphie

I can try and get a photo up tomorrow it is the only horizontal bolt with a nut on the front suspension arm which is attached to the car body thanks for the reply the only thing I can think of is trying to heat the whole joint and trying to punch the bolt out
Bluetwo 2ZZ  TTE exhaust sport cat 6 speed box Àpexi air induction rear spoiler mr2 scuff plates lowered springs charcoal anthracite alloys Goodrich\'s braided brake lines matts brace

Mikeymead

So I take it that the bolt head has snapped off, is the nut on the other end part of the chassis or separate, if so can you turn it or is it seized?
Ding Day 2016 "Best In Show" & "Inspector Gadget" winner, not that I'm gloating or anything like that!

Ulphie

Unfortunately it is seized any ideas

Mikeymead

Have you disconnected the arm from the hub yet and removed the rear bolt. If so you could always cut the nut off and then work the arm out of the mount.
Ding Day 2016 "Best In Show" & "Inspector Gadget" winner, not that I'm gloating or anything like that!

Ulphie

I haven't disconnected from the hub yet I believe you need a Toyota special tool I was trying to lower it a bit to give me an angle to drill the bolts out of the arb brackets

Mikeymead

OK but have you managed to undo the rear bolt, by the looks of things it may suffer the same fate. You really don't seem to be having much luck with this. If by chance you can remove the rear bolt you could still try my earlier suggestion. I'm not sure how lucky you will be by using heat while it is in situ as the heat dissipation may be too great, the rubber bush won't help in this respect though I suppose heating the end of the bolt may help.

Ulphie

Still no luck the rear nut is solid. do I need a ball joint separater from Mr t to remove the arm from the hub assembly or will any joint puller be OK I hope if I get the arm lose I maybe able to manipulate it and losten the bolt enough to move it sorry for all the questions but I am getting desperate and don't want to lose the car

Ulphie

Am I correct in assuming that the bolt is designed to come off it's not welded to the bracket or something silly like that  not sure why I can't punch the bolt out as there is nothing in the bush that holds it

gazza1286

A quick look underneath suggests the the nut can be cut off using a junior hacksaw. The cut should be similar to this - as close as possible to the bolt threads

The remainder of the  nut should just spin off with little effort.

For the ball joint splitter I would just use the standard scissor type.

m http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/121675592928 m

I prefer these as it avoids the bruised knuckles which come with the fork and hammer option..

Apologies if I've misunderstood the problem - photos would help

Ulphie

Thanks for that I just can't understand why the bolt won't just punch out I am of grinding off the nut surely the bolt will then just pop out it's very tight back there mind you hopefully I'll get there

gazza1286

I think I now understand. It is common on the gen 7 Celica for rear suspension bolts to rust onto the metal insert on the metalastic bushes. I suspect this is what has happened here. Is the only access for a drift at the bolt head end or would it punch out the 'other way'? If cutting/paring the nut off wouldn't give you alternatives then heat will be your only option. Heating the bush will be smelly no doubt but heating followed by dousing will crack the hold the rust has between the bolt and sleeve.

Ulphie

OK thanks it sounds like a plan it seems a bit severe but I am at the end of my teather thanks again

Essex2Visuvesi

If in doubt burn it out!

Ulphie

Now I am scared LOL

Ulphie

Trust me if I can get the b...Y suspension arm out I certainly shall

Ulphie

Success after two weeks I have finally cut the bolt off. I know it's a silly question but I presume that I cannot poly bush one side. I am having problems sourcing a single bush . I really don't fancy going through the same again on the other side any ideas. Thanks chaps

gazza1286

Metalastic replacements are here.  Possibly available separately? Contact the seller?

Look at this on eBay   m http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/201247638035 m

Ulphie

Top man many thanks it will certain save loads of time and I amnot sure I want to fork out for two wishbone replacements although it is tempting it does mean a whole lot of pain. I have heard nightmares about fitting these rubber bushes is it "that" bad?

gazza1286

A length of threaded rod - some washers, suitably sized sockets and a dab fairy liquid should do it.

Ulphie

Got it thanks again

Tags: