Front Plate

Started by Darth Paul, January 27, 2005, 16:05

Darth Paul

Anyone have a smaller-than-usual front plate and ever had any problems...?

Anonymous

WoodenDummy used to have a sticker on the bonnet as his reg plate.  Not sure if he got pulled because of that specifically.

Anonymous

I have a small license plate in the front, never given me any problems here in Sweden.

Anonymous

I looked at removing the number plate off for this precise reasona bout 4 months ago and ther are two great big nasy holes in the bumper so i decided against it!

I thought the legalities were that it had to be what it was like when i left the factory?

Darth Paul

I was thinking of 'trimming' off the ends. I have a five digit plate and I know the legal requirements are that there must be 10mm around the digits. So I figured that if I trim up to 10mm from the digits I'd be ok.  s:? :? s:?

Anonymous

When I had my Caterham, I had a stick on plate on the nose, which was far from vertical. Never had any problems with the boys in blue, or at MOT time....the plate did not have the necessary markings!

Many of the Seven club run smaller front plates, either cut down standard size as DP is suggesting or motorcycle plates.

Neither is strictly legal but I doubt that you would get pulled for that alone...I think that you might raise an eye brow with a m/cycle plate but should be ok with a cut down front.

Just my two penneth...

Andrew

Liz

The worst that you would get is a VDR (Vehicle Defect Rectification) form given to you, just have to attend an MOT station for them to stamp that you have the proper size one on again if you were caught....job done!
ex-TTE Turbo, now Freelander Sport, its not a car its a Landrover!

Darth Paul

Just read this, so technically one could trim the plate to 11mm all round...

NUMBER PLATES FITTED AFTER 1 SEPTEMBER 2001

Number plates fitted after 1 September 2001 must display characters that meet the dimensions shown below.

Characters

Height  -  79mm

Width (except the figure 1 or letter l) -  50mm

Stroke -  14mm

Space between characters -  11mm

Space between groups -  33mm

Top, bottom and side margins (minimum) -  11mm

Space between vertical lines  - 19mm

The character width has been slightly reduced from 57mm to 50mm to accommodate the Euro-symbol on the number plate.

I have a copper living opposite so I can't be too silly, though my 'space between groups' is 20mm.  s:twisted: :twisted: s:twisted:

Anonymous

You will be fine mate, I have it on the front and back and never had any problems.

I still have the legal limit around the digits and at each end!

Viggs

spit

I've got jap plates front & rear. A few different sizes are available - I've got 12" x 6". Legal for my MR-S with m'cycle font, correct spacing and labelling, & look pretty neat. No probs so far. Dunno if you could get away with these on a UK '2 tho'.

Rusty has trimmed his front UK plate & it looks cool. Maybe ask him if he's had any grief over it?

I suspect you're more likely to court trouble if you mis-represent the number through spacing, bolt placement or use of a showplate font. Plate size (within reason), label and BS kitemark seem to attract less attention.
1999 MR-S with added C2 POWΣR

Humbled recipient of the Perry Byrnes memorial trophy (2007 & 2011)

Anonymous

DP here you go:

http://www.mr2roc.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2656&highlight=

Have never had any grief since doing it. I think the main thing is that the numbers etc are stock size, have just reduced the border and then repositioned the plate upwards. Also did the back

Anonymous

Quote from: "Darth Paul"I have a five digit plate ...

D4RTH   s:?: :?: s:?:    s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

Jap GT300

Quote from: "Andy S"
Quote from: "Darth Paul"I have a five digit plate ...

D4RTH   s:?: :?: s:?:    s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

P4ULY

Darth Paul

jj

Anonymous

I always wanted 10st, and found it was taken, and i bumped into the b4stard about 2 weeks ago,- its on a new mini,- not even a sport ONE,- I recon the plate costs more than the car, his dad set up ocean software. its not fair. i was thinking of getting either l33ost, or any variation of the numbers, or n321ost, or a variation,- do u think it will look cheap?  there is a lawyer down the road who has GUILTY,-  its the best ive seen, I once saw b1 secs and it was a fit blonde driving. there's loads round here.

Anonymous

ive always wanted P155 0FF

Anonymous

yeah thats a good'n.

Bongo

My dad was out bid on 5TUD (at around £5000 i think), last saw it for sale at around £45000   s:shock: :shock: s:shock:

Anonymous

I want HAN 510W but it was apparantly on some blue scooter when ever old W reg plates were issued. Tried to trace the owner (via friends in the right place  s;) ;) s;)  ) but had no joy. I just have to wait for the DVLA to reissue it (if they ever do)  s:( :( s:(

Anonymous

Got mine as,

LA--Les Ackroyd
51--Year I was born
APA--Anne Patricia Ackroyd

But I like it better as  LA SLAPA  

Anonymous

I missed out on CAR73R (get it?   s:D :D s:D  ) a few years ago now, had an offer for it sent through the post on my birthday!
Unfortunately I didn't have the £2500 at the time.. which is a shame, 'cos it would have looked great on my S2K now!

Getting a good plate is tricky if you're on a budget - although it helps if it's a present for someone with an unusual name... I bought an ex-girlfriend of mine M33RYN for £250, as her name was MERRYN, looked awesome with a ...ahem..show plate made up!

Tim.

Anonymous

Got mine as a safety feature  J19 PDM

J  January
19 Date
PDM  Pete & Dawn Marsh [or married]

Of course we were married on 19th Jan
No excuses for forgotten anniversary  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

Liz

Mine is obvious L12 - Liz - MYE - surname Myers, nearest I could get - I wanted MYR - as in it sounds like Myer(s) if you try to pronounce it - humour me here - or it could of meant MY Roadster, without spending silly money I am happy with it, looks shite on legal plates though   s:evil: :evil: s:evil:
ex-TTE Turbo, now Freelander Sport, its not a car its a Landrover!

heathstimpson

When the DVLA first decided to get into the lucrative business of selling plates for megabucks I tried to buy H6ATH but it had been bought up by one of the companies flogging them on for loads of dosh  s:shock: :shock: s:shock:
Ex MR2 Roadster Turbo (seven years) now 997 Porsche Carrera 4 GTS

Anonymous

MR2 is availble if you have 30 grand spare. - you really have to love your 2, to spend more than a brand new one costs- on a number plate.

Tags: