Fitting coilovers - DIY

Started by nadeemxb, February 23, 2017, 15:41

nadeemxb

I managed to get the rear pair done today and aside from having to cut and grind one drop link it was a simple enough job.  I appreciate the help in the form of step list and tool list.  It all came in very useful and still saved me money vs paying a garage despite buying a new breaker bar, breaker sockets and a low profile trolley jack!   s:D :D s:D  

Pics of the installed rear coilovers (just the final arb attachment to make at this point and some torquing up):

[attachment=1:1gee45d1] ia1 20170305_120228061_iOS.jpg ia1 [/attachment:1gee45d1]

[attachment=0:1gee45d1] ia0 20170305_125116763_iOS.jpg ia0 [/attachment:1gee45d1]

JoeCool

Quote from: "Mikeymead"A tip I would give after having done mine is to tap the threads out on the brake line holders, the powder coating is quite thick and it makes putting the bolts in very difficult.
It appears they've responded to this criticism, mine (CRD+`s)  are all pre tapped and the threads are clean and good to go.
2ZZ '02 Roadster

nadeemxb

Quote from: "JoeCool"
Quote from: "Mikeymead"A tip I would give after having done mine is to tap the threads out on the brake line holders, the powder coating is quite thick and it makes putting the bolts in very difficult.
It appears they've responded to this criticism, mine (CRD+`s)  are all pre tapped and the threads are clean and good to go.

Yep. Mine were pre tapped too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mikeymead

Quote from: "nadeemxb"
Quote from: "JoeCool"

Yep. Mine were pre tapped too.

Mine were tapped but the threads were covered in powder coating and it was really hard to wind the bolts into them.
Ding Day 2016 "Best In Show" & "Inspector Gadget" winner, not that I'm gloating or anything like that!

Topdownman

Can you do one corner at a time or is there a reason why you need to raise an axle at a time?
"Racing" tax disc holder (binned), Poundland air freshener, (ran out), Annoying cylinder deficiency,  (sorted),
Winner of the Numb bum award 2017
Readers Ride

06 not V6 readers ride

JoeCool

The anti roll bar is dangerous/almost impossible to disconnect if you only lift one corner. At the very least you'd have to lift one end and undo one link, to detension  it.
2ZZ '02 Roadster

phaeton

Quote from: "Topdownman"Can you do one corner at a time or is there a reason why you need to raise an axle at a time?
Yes as long as you don't try to drive before doing the other side

ChrisGB

Quote from: "Topdownman"Can you do one corner at a time or is there a reason why you need to raise an axle at a time?

The ARB will be under tension if you only lift one corner, which will make things "difficult".
Ex 2GR-FE roadster. Sold it. Idiot.  Now Jaguar XE-S 380. Officially over by the bins.

Topdownman

Thanks for the replies. It would be preferable to do a corner at a time but makes sense about the ARB.
"Racing" tax disc holder (binned), Poundland air freshener, (ran out), Annoying cylinder deficiency,  (sorted),
Readers Ride

06 not V6 readers ride

phaeton

Quote from: "Topdownman"Thanks for the replies. It would be preferable to do a corner at a time but makes sense about the ARB.
Use ramps, axle stands & a jack, never had an issue with a ARB ever

nadeemxb

I couldn't reattach the ARB to driplink on mine until it was loose from the other side. The new drop links were slightly different in length.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ad_car_08

Looking to fit my Meisters this week. Do you just recommend getting new drop links or should I add anything else to the shopping list? I'm doing this at my brother's so I need to make sure I get it done without problems or having to go out and buy more things half way through the job!!
[size=85]2004 Sable MR2 Roadster - Track toy
Honda Civic EX 1.0T - Company Car
[/size]

jvanzyl

I'd say get new drop links.. for the sake of £20 it'll make the whole thing a lot easier. Just angle grind off the old ones and be done with it.

phaeton

Quote from: "jvanzyl"I'd say get new drop links.. for the sake of £20 it'll make the whole thing a lot easier. Just angle grind off the old ones and be done with it.
^^^^^^^^^^^ This man speaks wise words

ad_car_08

Would you replace the drop links attaching the wishbone to the ARB while you're there, or is it not necessarily needed?
[/size]

jvanzyl

I did all of mine (Front and rear) at the end of the day it's a component that is going on 13 years old. I have no idea what the state of the bushes are on yours... I'd recommend changing all possible bushes if you can.

ad_car_08

can someone quickly advise me - I'm getting myself in a bit of a pickle here!
I've got the rear drop-links already on the new coilovers, so I'm trying to source the front. Some places I'm seeing these

Other places are telling me I can only get these for the front

I'm getting really confused. Got the second type on order at the moment.
[/size]

jvanzyl

The top picture is the rears, bottom pic is the fronts..

lamcote

The top picture is of the rears from another car altogether. Our links have the end pieces pointing in the same direction, not opposite directions.
Silver 2004 MR2 -  Unmodified but very shiny.

keljon

Anyone got links for rear drop links?
mr2 2zz with T-Sport gearbox and 8200rpm Celica ECU, DIY lightweight exhaust, K&N Typhoon induction, MiesterR coilovers, Rear Strut Brace, Underbody brace, EBC Yellow stuff and braided hoses all round, Rota slipstream 16x7 6kg a corner, Lightweight optima battery, spare wheel, tools, radio & aerial removal. Wifi ODB2 reader with dash command app for iPhone

Essex2Visuvesi

You might find that some of the sellers are showing a "library" droplink photo, so what's in the picture may not be what you actually get.

Topdownman

Quote from: "keljon"Anyone got links for rear drop links?

I got a pair from one of our associates recently, TCB, cost about £33 something with vat and delivery. You can give them a ring and they usually send them out the same day.

l viewtopic.php?f=109&t=60243 l
Readers Ride

06 not V6 readers ride

keljon

Quote from: "Topdownman"
Quote from: "keljon"Anyone got links for rear drop links?

I got a pair from one of our associates recently, TCB, cost about £33 something with vat and delivery. You can give them a ring and they usually send them out the same day.

l viewtopic.php?f=109&t=60243 l
Did you go standard size or shorter with coil overs?
mr2 2zz with T-Sport gearbox and 8200rpm Celica ECU, DIY lightweight exhaust, K&N Typhoon induction, MiesterR coilovers, Rear Strut Brace, Underbody brace, EBC Yellow stuff and braided hoses all round, Rota slipstream 16x7 6kg a corner, Lightweight optima battery, spare wheel, tools, radio & aerial removal. Wifi ODB2 reader with dash command app for iPhone

Topdownman

I went for the standard length as I imagine most do when fitting coilovers.

I believe you can get adjustable ones but dont think I have heard any feedback about the adjustable ones. I assume toyota didnt suggest shorter ones when fitting their lowering springs so never imagined their would be an issue.
Readers Ride

06 not V6 readers ride

Essex2Visuvesi

m http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MR2-MK1-MK2-M ... VM2KJk4DZg m

I've been tempted by these ones

Tags: