Meet the crisis.

Started by Call the midlife!, March 2, 2017, 08:02

Call the midlife!

Picked up last night, pretty much bog standard and in need of a good clean, smells like a wet dog inside, or a wet teacher but better once I turned it off recirc!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
60% of the time it works everytime...

Call the midlife!

Quote from: "Call the midlife!"Picked up last night, pretty much bog standard and in need of a good clean, smells like a wet dog inside, or a wet teacher but better once I turned it off recirc!

I do hope they're going to get on!

shnazzle

Loving the username and thread name combo.

Now the fun starts! Finding all the little niggles, watching the expenses go up, reaching the point of "what? This part? It was 50 quid" for each and every part purchased.
But most importantly... Perma-grin setting in. Random drives out for no reason at all and always finding a little job to do on the 2, just because.

Welcome to '2 ownership  s:) :) s:)
...neutiquam erro.

Call the midlife!

Quote from: "shnazzle"Loving the username and thread name combo.

Now the fun starts! Finding all the little niggles, watching the expenses go up, reaching the point of "what? This part? It was 50 quid" for each and every part purchased.
But most importantly... Perma-grin setting in. Random drives out for no reason at all and always finding a little job to do on the 2, just because.

Welcome to '2 ownership  s:) :) s:)
Cheers Shnazzle, the usernames on here all make me wonder what the backstories are, all part of the enjoyment.
Totally agree on the little bits here and there side of things, also the little trips, I had to nearly chew my arm off to stop myself driving it to work this morning!
Thanks for making me feel welcome and the patience with all the questions, I feel less of a hanger on now!

Joesson

QuoteMidlife wrote: I do hope they're going to get on!

My 2 seems to get on OK with my Fiesta and vv but then I never take them anywhere together.

Call the midlife!

Quote from: "Joesson"
QuoteMidlife wrote: I do hope they're going to get on!

My 2 seems to get on OK with my Fiesta and vv but then I never take them anywhere together.
I could almost fit the 2 on the roof..

The Other Stu

If it's stinking of water, I'd check the drains. It's a common problem - drains get blocked, car gets wet inside.
Also check the roof for leaks.
No Longer Here

jvanzyl

Great looking car!  :-) :-) :-)  excellent choice of colour...

yeah do check your drains - it's relatively quick and easy to do, not sure how you'd dry out the car though... other than running the heater the whole time with the window slightly open so the humidity can get out?

The Other Stu

Quote from: "jvanzyl"Great looking car!  :-) :-) :-)  excellent choice of colour...

yeah do check your drains - it's relatively quick and easy to do, not sure how you'd dry out the car though... other than running the heater the whole time with the window slightly open so the humidity can get out?
I did mine using a fan heater, plugged into the house.
No Longer Here

Call the midlife!

To be honest the car is snuff dry inside, it's not that kind of smell, seemed to go away with the heater off recirc as well so I think it's just how it currently smells, all cars have their own smell and the young lady of the house has been daily driving it.
He says he did the drains a while back after finding water in the cavernous luggage compartment [emoji23]
I did get it a bit hot and steamy in there last night driving home though, surprising how soon the  scock cock scock pit warms up when you're driving through town etc.
Thanks for the comments/compliments [emoji1303]

Essex2Visuvesi

m https://www.amazon.co.uk/ANSIO-94610-In ... +absorbers m

Chuck a couple of these in the rear bins
Makes a massive difference and reduces the steaming up considerably

Call the midlife!

Good idea! Cheers! Come to think of it they did have a big, absorbent draught excluder type thing in it when I first viewed it.
The smell definitely isn't damp car though, I think it's just the previous driver.

Essex2Visuvesi

Do you have AC?
If so get the AC checked and cleaned (Debacterial service)
My alfa used to smell when the the Blower was on
Had a "Full" AC service and the smell went away

Or try something like this:-
 m http://www.halfords.com/motoring/engine ... on-cleaner m

Call the midlife!

Nope, no AC, so that's one to cross off the list![emoji2]
There's an air freshener hanging off the RVM that I keep forgetting to take down so could be that.
I'm going to get it into the garage Saturday night and give it a good clean and hoover Sunday, there's twigs and all sorts in the luggage bins and something sticky spilled in the glove box so once it's all clean and shiny and smells of car cleaning products it might get better.
It's not an offensive smell, just a smell, my tractor probably smells to people getting in it but I've had it 5 years so I don't notice.
5 years of fishing, camping, using it as a removal van or skip on wheels!

Call the midlife!

Quote from: "Call the midlife!"To be honest the car is snuff dry inside, it's not that kind of smell, seemed to go away with the heater off recirc as well so I think it's just how it currently smells, all cars have their own smell and the young lady of the house has been daily driving it.
He says he did the drains a while back after finding water in the cavernous luggage compartment [emoji23]
I did get it a bit hot and steamy in there last night driving home though, surprising how soon the  scock cock scock pit warms up when you're driving through town etc.
Thanks for the comments/compliments [emoji1303]

I've just re read this and couldn't work out why it had been censored at first![emoji23][emoji23]

beavisrules

Nice
had a Mondeo over the winter.
Hated every time I've had to drive in town with it. 2.0tdci estate, mental torque and fast , but so so tedious to drive.
next year I'm just going to hire something if I need bigger.
But on the plus side it makes you value the MR2 even more.

Call the midlife!

Quote from: "beavisrules"Nice
had a Mondeo over the winter.
Hated every time I've had to drive in town with it. 2.0tdci estate, mental torque and fast , but so so tedious to drive.
next year I'm just going to hire something if I need bigger.
But on the plus side it makes you value the MR2 even more.
Yeah, they're not exactly a thrill a minute but I wouldn't be without it for my daily drive. Surprises a few people when they try to take it on at the lights too, not to mention the way it pulls even bursting to the seams with all the crap me and the boy take camping/fishing.
Stork and butter really, both have their time and place.

shnazzle

Our '2s havd had no fights with our Jaaaaag x-type estate. Same car as the mondeo  s:) :) s:)  
3.0 v6 auto 4wd is the option we went for. Aside from the absolutely hideous fuel consumption it's been a good car. It's no 2 though. Corners are painful. Just. Bad.
...neutiquam erro.

Call the midlife!

Quote from: "shnazzle"Our '2s havd had no fights with our Jaaaaag x-type estate. Same car as the mondeo  s:) :) s:)  
3.0 v6 auto 4wd is the option we went for. Aside from the absolutely hideous fuel consumption it's been a good car. It's no 2 though. Corners are painful. Just. Bad.
Well considering before I got the 2 bug I was getting either a clk, s type or a 5 series I think I changed my mind just at the right time! I did try a 230 Kompressor though, that was a laugh!

8thumpers

Quote from: "Call the midlife!"Picked up last night, pretty much bog standard and in need of a good clean, smells like a wet dog inside, or a wet teacher but better once I turned it off recirc!

Looks good mate!

Stick a V8 in it...

Call the midlife!

Quote from: "8thumpers"

Looks good mate!

Stick a V8 in it...
Haha! Cheers! I'm going to leave that particular challenge to you mate, I'm happy with the performance as it is, for now...[emoji1303]

Call the midlife!

Starting to do some miles in TC as I'm lovingly calling it and getting to know it better.
Did around 50 miles on the A63/M62 last night in the peeing rain without major incident, taking it fairly steady.
Drove 10 miles to the petrol station 3 miles away this dry, sunny morning and then 4 times around town to do a bit of shopping.
Still yet to drive it top down due to the weather and having a front seat full of vulnerable shopping.
I've discovered a few things.
Small bump tramlining is an unexpected thrill.. the window tints may have to go, they make driving around carparks etc at night a bit challenging. After giving it a good wash
there's some paintwork needs attention before it starts to break out too badly and its had more paint than I first realised, some of it quite orange peel-y.
A few more minor scratches, the clear coat on the front bumper is missing in patches and there's the odd fitting front and rear bumper and a couple of minor flexion creases in the tin foil bodywork.
The reversing lights are woeful for reversing round obstructions and the headlights are as much use as a chocolate fireguard.
The central locking/immobiliser works when it wants, amusingly not when I try to get back in after getting petrol and there's people waiting to get to the pump.
The Clifford alarm/immobiliser argues with the car's system so even when I do get in I can't start it. But I'm sure it's amusing for people around as I sit there with my indicators flashing!
Thankfully the Clifford alarm doesn't actually sound!
But... It goes round roundabouts really well, I love the sound of the exhaust at low revs around town, although the way it pulls into every manhole cover and bit of badly repaired road is a pain.
Apart from the alarm/immobiliser issue which really needs sorting, none of the things I've found are major, they don't spoil my enjoyment and they're all easily fettled as and when I get time.
Needs some TLC in areas though.

Call the midlife!

Quote from: "Call the midlife!"Starting to do some miles in TC as I'm lovingly calling it and getting to know it better.
Did around 50 miles on the A63/M62 last night in the peeing rain without major incident, taking it fairly steady.
Drove 10 miles to the petrol station 3 miles away this dry, sunny morning and then 4 times around town to do a bit of shopping.
Still yet to drive it top down due to the weather and having a front seat full of vulnerable shopping.
I've discovered a few things.
Small bump tramlining is an unexpected thrill.. the window tints may have to go, they make driving around carparks etc at night a bit challenging. After giving it a good wash
there's some paintwork needs attention before it starts to break out too badly and its had more paint than I first realised, some of it quite orange peel-y.
A few more minor scratches, the clear coat on the front bumper is missing in patches and there's the odd fitting front and rear bumper and a couple of minor flexion creases in the tin foil bodywork.
The reversing lights are woeful for reversing round obstructions and the headlights are as much use as a chocolate fireguard.
The central locking/immobiliser works when it wants, amusingly not when I try to get back in after getting petrol and there's people waiting to get to the pump.
The Clifford alarm/immobiliser argues with the car's system so even when I do get in I can't start it. But I'm sure it's amusing for people around as I sit there with my indicators flashing!
Thankfully the Clifford alarm doesn't actually sound!
But... It goes round roundabouts really well, I love the sound of the exhaust at low revs around town, although the way it pulls into every manhole cover and bit of badly repaired road is a pain.
Apart from the alarm/immobiliser issue which really needs sorting, none of the things I've found are major, they don't spoil my enjoyment and they're all easily fettled as and when I get time.
Needs some TLC in areas though.

Call the midlife!

These are pants...

8thumpers

I'm guessing the tramlining is a PFL trait. Can be improved with underbody and front braces??

Stick a V8 in it...

Tags: