12v for DRL

Started by darkstar, March 13, 2017, 09:58

darkstar

m http://s1248.photobucket.com/user/akdas ... 9.jpg.html m

Hi my fuse box under front bonnet looks similar to this, the red circles are the spare fuses, one with 20A and 30A,
where can i take the positive 12v (Which preferably connects to ignition) from that fuse box for my DRLs
As otherwise I have to run wires all the way back to battery +ve, which is tedious.

The Other Stu

Easiest way is to take the feed straight off the cigar lighter socket. It's not going to cause your socket fuse to blow and it turns on and off with the car.
Certainly, that's how I did mine and that's what the guide recommends. Feed a wire through the rubber grommet.
No Longer Here

Topdownman

I seem to remember taping into a wire near the wiper motor?
"Racing" tax disc holder (binned), Poundland air freshener, (ran out), Annoying cylinder deficiency,  (sorted),
Winner of the Numb bum award 2017
Readers Ride

06 not V6 readers ride

Call the midlife!

I've seen a "how to" on here also that says the blue and white? Wire on the wiper motor, I was wondering which would be the easier? Bearing in mind I've not yet had the covers off under the bonnet..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
60% of the time it works everytime...

darkstar

would it be bigger job to figure out lighter socket? what all need to be removed.. sorry for the noob question  s:) :) s:)

Topdownman

It is easier to go to the wiper wire as it is exposed once you take the front plastics off. There is nothing wrong with the cigarette lighter wire but you have to go through a grommet and get the wire to the right place through the dashboard gubbins.
"Racing" tax disc holder (binned), Poundland air freshener, (ran out), Annoying cylinder deficiency,  (sorted),
Readers Ride

06 not V6 readers ride

The Other Stu

Quote from: "darkstar"would it be bigger job to figure out lighter socket? what all need to be removed.. sorry for the noob question  s:) :) s:)
There's already a rubber lug with wiring going through the front bulkhead. You can push a wire through.

Yes, you'll need to remove the frunk cover, but you'll need to do that anyway if you're going to do it properly and tidily.
Have a read of the how-to.

Les explains how to push the wire through too
http://mr2roc.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=47&t=49369
No Longer Here

MisterK

The choice of which live to take is now up to you, based on the advice above   s:D :D s:D  

When I fitted my first set of DRL's over 4 years ago I used the wiper motor live & simply used a Scotch Lock to tap into it with the live for my DRL's.

I fitted the new Fog-Halo DRL's last month courtesy of Hamish and used this live again with no problems.  Very easy to do & easy to get at.

MARK K - Original Owner/ \'Best In Class\' winner, \'Show n Shine\', MR2DC National Event 2017.

Call the midlife!

Quote from: "MisterK"The choice of which live to take is now up to you, based on the advice above   s:D :D s:D  

When I fitted my first set of DRL's over 4 years ago I used the wiper motor live & simply used a Scotch Lock to tap into it with the live for my DRL's.

I fitted the new Fog-Halo DRL's last month courtesy of Hamish and used this live again with no problems.  Very easy to do & easy to get at.

As much as I like the "easy" option of the wiper feed I'm a definite novice as far as auto electrics go, although I did successfully fit some reversing sensors to my Mondeo using a Scotchblock, I think I'd rather risk losing my cig lighter than my wipers if I  scock cock scock  it up! [emoji2]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
60% of the time it works everytime...

Hext007

I used one of the alarm unit wires, provides a 12v signal when ignition on, front of the car so happy days.

darkstar

i can't figure out these wires, can somebody upload a photo of  wiper 12v wire  or alarm unit wire please

Ricardo

Quoting MisterK here from a previous thread...

You can get a live from the top middle wire on the wiper motor - blue with white flecks

So based on that, should be the one I'm holding between my finger and thumb.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

darkstar

wow Thanks Ricardo, I'll tap that wire

SDB278

Is that a constant live, or just when the ignition / acc  is switched on? Thanks.

Topdownman

Pretty sure it is not a constant live.
Readers Ride

06 not V6 readers ride

Ricardo

Quote from: "Topdownman"Pretty sure it is not a constant live.
Yup. Live when ignition on  s:) :) s:)

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

rich_p

Having done some digging in mine, I've found previous owner wired directly into ignition at the barrel.
I had fun removing a tracker and finding the car would no longer start last weekend  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

Tags: