Should I buy an MR2?

Started by Anonymous, February 1, 2005, 14:52

markiii

about £2000 if I remember, it's teh fittign though that is the swine.
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

MRMike

About £2,500 for a full soft top. I know because I had that very predicament. Get a hard top!
[size=75]*Sold 03 UK spec, silver, Red Interior TTE Twin, Euro spoiler, TTE Chrome roll bar, Blitz Induction, VVTI Badged, Pioneer SAT Nav/DAB Tuner, Boston Acoustics Components, Boston amp, Gtech Pro C, TRD Gearknob, B&M linkage, Bama Deflector, Chrome dials, Corky Breast Plate, TTE springs,

Then.. Blue 350Z
and den....black S2000 with red leather interior  
and den.... New Imola Orange S2000
and den.....BMW Z4 3.0 - Understeer!!!![/size]
NOW M3 V8

Anonymous

Looks like the hardtop will be one of my main priorities. If i were to wait a few months till nearer the summer how much more would the car cost?

Liz

Chris,

Did you find the comparison any use at all between the '5 and the '2 which I sent you?

Re Hardtops,  always coming up on ebay and sometimes you can get them with the fitting kits as well, lots on the search facility about hardtops and the buying of.
ex-TTE Turbo, now Freelander Sport, its not a car its a Landrover!

Anonymous

sorry must have missed that, will have a look later

Anonymous

Hi everyone, I recently sent an e-mail to warranty direct to find out how much the mr2 warranty would cost compared to the mx5, here is there reply:

QuoteDear Mr Johnson

In answer to your question, very few MR2s or MX5s require entire engine replacements though 13% of MR2 claims concern the engine while a trace number of MX5s do. Overall the MX5 is the more reliable of the two cars with a reliability index of 21 as opposed to the MR2 which has an index of 67. I have been assigned to your enquiry Chris as I have recently brokered some deals with owners clubs and web forums wherein we will were able to offer reduced rates to group purchases and particularly special rates for the person with whom I dealt. We are able to do this as the larger the number of people coming onto cover at once, the greater the offset of individual risk. If you think that this information could be appropriate to your situation then please give me a call. I hope you find this information useful and I look forward to speaking to you soon. If you need to get in touch, my number is 0800 731 7001 ext 201

Yours sincerely Graham Spencer

mrsmr2

Interesting.

Do you know if the comments relate to the MR2 Roadster only, or the earlier models?

Can you find out what the engine problems were?

Jason
04 Astral Black, hard top, air con, black leather, Corky\'s MSMB; FSB;  RMB; RLCB, empty exhaust manifold, cg-lock.  Warranty: new wheels @ 20k, new pads and discs @ 21k, new wheels @ 26.4k

Anonymous

I am going to reply to the e-mail soon, if you have any comments that could be added post them asap. I'm not sure how much detail they will be able to go into. He also mentioned that if there are a group of members that wan't to take out additional warranty then they may be able to give a good discount. Anyone interested?

Anonymous

just buy a '2 you like. Extended warrenty is for ppl who take out life insurance and own lemon jucers. you dont need that crap! get your car, enjoy it and save your money.
as ive siad b4 if your worried about engine problems get a 2002 or later model.
thats my opinion anyway,  s:roll: :roll: s:roll:  

everyone is edgy about making a big purcahase but they think that by throwing a significant amount of money away then life will be smooth.

i guess im waisting my breath if i talk about pot odds. are you a poker player? your paying over the odds for an opportunity to save money (if your very, very unlucky).  s:roll: :roll: s:roll:  might as well take your money to the bookies than buy extended warrenty, the chances of 'winning big' are probably similar.

Bongo

Quote from: "vibratingsky"i guess im waisting my breath if i talk about pot odds. are you a poker player? your paying over the odds for an opportunity to save money (if your very, very unlucky).  s:roll: :roll: s:roll:  might as well take your money to the bookies than buy extended warrenty, the chances of 'winning big' are probably similar.

Only if you look at it in a purely monetary sense, if he is risk adverse he'll gain some utility from the peace of mind of the warranty which is why he's willing to pay over the odds (on a purely financial point of view) for the warranty.

Also the reverse of the principle that positive expectation wagers (i.e. those that would make money in the longterm) shouldn't be taken if they would be for all your money - that is you give up some money to make sure you don't lose all your money.

In case you can't tell I play poker, studied insurance (as part of my course) at uni and am adept at talking crap   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

Liz

When I bought mine 3 years ago, I knew nothing of the pre-cat problem, so just think:

If you had never found this club on the net....would you of bought one by now? Just do it, you are wasting valuable driving time IMHO!
ex-TTE Turbo, now Freelander Sport, its not a car its a Landrover!

Stifler

thats just what i was thinking

I was all set to buy one and thought id check out the OC forum before i did. At first it put me off a bit  but i have decided -so what!  Even if u buy used from toyota u still get a 1 year warranty.

Im just looking forward to owning and driving a '2  s:) :) s:)

Anonymous

When I found this forum it did at first put me off getting a '2. I wasn't sure about this whole pre-cat thing. I read that I could take them out and Grant's guide about how to remove them was really good.

I bought my '2, drove it for a month worrying about the pre-cats, then just decided they had to go. Spent a day removing them not a problem. Now I don't worry.

Simple answer is get one   s8) 8) s8)  .

Anonymous

Quote from: "chr15athome"I have been looking at buying an MR2 for about a month now.......

Chris, Have you given up on the 2 idea  s:?: :?: s:?:

Anonymous

No still looking for one. Hopefully i'm gonna sell my current car in the next couple of weeks and then I can get one.  Its hard to find good used examples with lether and hardtop

heathstimpson

Quote from: "chr15athome"No still looking for one. Hopefully i'm gonna sell my current car in the next couple of weeks and then I can get one.  Its hard to find good used examples with lether and hardtop
You better hurray as spring is nearly upon us (believe it or not) and the prices will rise accordingly  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:
Ex MR2 Roadster Turbo (seven years) now 997 Porsche Carrera 4 GTS

Anonymous

I know i'm gonna buy as soon as possible

Tags: