Should I buy an MR2?

Started by Anonymous, February 1, 2005, 14:52

Darth Paul

It will be a Lexus.  s:evil: :evil: s:evil:

Anonymous

What do the rest of you think about the 4,000 RPM vibration theory causing damage to the cylinders. Seems unlikely, to me. I spoke to some one I know about an MR2 and they recon that the pre-cats on the later models have been changed to make them less likely to break. This is pretty clear evidence that they were faulty in design in the first place and have had to be modified.
My thought is that the pre-cats begin to break-down very slowly as soon as the car is run from new. These will be the bits that get into the engine, the bigger bits that break off later get stuck in the cat as they are too big to get sucked into the engine until they get broken down further. The vibration may help to damage the pre-cats more quickly but I still think that they are the ultimate cause.
Has anyone had to get an engine replaced out of warranty and if so was some of the cost met by Toyota. Also what are the different engine variations and which cars are the fitted to? e.g zz1, zz2, etc. (Are the different engines matched to different transmissions?)

Bongo

GSB has an 04 MR2 and his precats showed degradation after 3500 miles...

Anonymous

Has GSB's car been ok since and what's current mileage?

Bongo

Can't find the post now, so i may be mistaken but:

It was his 3nd MR2 so he put on a pregutted manifold inplace of his original at 3500 miles.

He was thinking about putting the original back on and when he inspected it found that it was degraded.

Anonymous

Someone mentioned earlier in this post (i think) that you could by a pre-catless performance version of the manifold. That sounds a good idea, will this put any further strain on the engine.

Tem

Quote from: "chr15athome"Someone mentioned earlier in this post (i think) that you could by a pre-catless performance version of the manifold. That sounds a good idea, will this put any further strain on the engine.

It's the TRD manifold. Good option, if you got the cash...
 m http://www.japanparts.com/shop/shop.cgi ... %2fExhaust m

I can't see it putting any strain on the engine.
Sure you can live without 500hp, but it\'s languishing.

mrsmr2

Gulp, quite pricey.

Tempted to give the precats a good smack instead.

How much is a replacement Toyota manifold?

And also, is extended warranty offered after the original warranty expires, or does it have to be purchased at the same time as the car? Mine was 2nd hand (albeit only 3 weeks old) so no option for extended warranty.

If it is offered, how much is it and would it still cover the pre-cat/engine failure?

Thanks

Jason
04 Astral Black, hard top, air con, black leather, Corky\'s MSMB; FSB;  RMB; RLCB, empty exhaust manifold, cg-lock.  Warranty: new wheels @ 20k, new pads and discs @ 21k, new wheels @ 26.4k

Anonymous

Why not try RAC or warranty direct, some people have posted this suggestion. Costs around £215 but not entirely sure that it covers everything required. Let me know how you get on with toyota.

Anonymous

I just did a sample quote to warranty direct, for gold cover it is £225 and includes repairs by franchise dealers.

For policy details use this link.

s:arrow: :arrow: s:arrow:  http://www.warrantydirect.co.uk/quote_page3.html#

Anonymous

Sorry that link didn't work, this one should>

http://www.warrantydirect.co.uk/gold_help.html

roger

No mention of manifold / exhaust in Warranty Direct, it appears.

So broken pre-cats wouldn't be covered, but a blown engine would.

so no remedial work if you get to them in time, just wait for it to happen!   s:roll: :roll: s:roll:  

THERE SHE BLOWS!
Roger

EX: \'04 Sable + PE Turbo and many other things
NOW: MR2 on steroids - \'12 Merc SLK200 AMG125

Use Spydersearch if you are stuck for information. Please.
Check my fuel consumption

Anonymous

You probably would'nt want to remove the pre-cats though as they could say this has caused engine damgae.   s:shock: :shock: s:shock:

Anonymous

Quote from: "chr15athome"You probably would'nt want to remove the pre-cats though as they could say this has caused engine damgae.   s:shock: :shock: s:shock:

How could they prove you've removed them and that they didn't do the damage by disintegrating?  after all we've plenty examples of them disintegrating, so it's not like they can say it never happens.

markiii

why are we looking at spending hundreds of pounds to cover an engine failure when an engine is only £500 in teh first place?
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

Anonymous

Plus fitting, plus cats, any vvti damage through low oil, etc. £225 is pretty good value when you think that most of the newly fitted engines have failed again very quickly.

markiii

u won't have cats if you gut them,

fitting, true,

but £500 is the whole engine
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

Anonymous

Quote from: "chr15athome"..... when you think that most of the newly fitted engines have failed again very quickly.

Is that fact  s:?: :?: s:?:

Anonymous

Well no, but from reading most of the posts on this and other websites, one thing i have noticed is that most people have had the new engine go shortly after replacement. One reason for this could be that the manufacturer are only replacing the smaller part of the engine and not all of it where some damaged has already taken place. Also hey don't automatically replace the main cat which could me holding further pre-cat degradation.
Do you have alternative reasoning on this point roadsterman99? By the way what is your experience of the pre-cats?

markiii

main reason is that they don't change the main catm which is usually vblocked from teh shit coming out of the precats

Anonymous

Couldn't find my pre-cats with both hands   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  
It initially worried me but I figure theres more to worry about in life.
My 2 is 13 months only has 23 months warranty remaining and if it goes bang then MrT will sort it.
I'm fortunate it's not my only form of transport. I can always jump in my mkI   s8) 8) s8)  or mrs roadsterman99's Micra   s:oops: :oops: s:oops:

Anonymous

I know what you mean roadsterman I just think that when dealing with manufacturers and warranties its best to know all the possible eventualities and implications of repairs. Your investment in an mr2 is not as big as someone who only has one car and relies on this for everyday transport. But your right don't worry about it just be prepared for it.

Anonymous

By the way this club is so much better than the mx5oc.co.uk club. Most of their cars are pre-2000 and they can't understand the benefit of buying a new one or nearly new. I think the mx5 is more of a classic than the mr2, but for me that is one of the mr2's biggest selling points over the mx5, plus its rarity.

Anonymous

Which do you think looks best????

or

Tags: