My Silver '06

Started by delhusband, May 13, 2017, 11:42

delhusband

I've heard that checking precats is maybe a good idea (tongue firmly in cheek).  Bit late to the party, but thought I'd give it a go.  Had a look at the excellent info on pre-cats in the beginners section.
So set about finding and trying to remove the O2 sensors.
Discovered there's such a thing as an O2 sensor removal tool (22mm tallish socket with a slot cut out the side for those like me who don't / didn't know). Typical impatient me, went to Halfords and forked out what seemed like a bit too much for what you get.  Need to learn patience and browse more, I'll probably save money.  Still, the weapons arsenal is growing...

Bit of a co-incidence, someone else talking about cheap USB borescope cameras on another thread today - I bought one ages ago off the 'bay before I bought my current '2, to try and inspect subframes prior to purchase - hilariously the one time I took it my laptop gave up the ghost and ended up unable to use it    s:oops: :oops: s:oops:  . But, thought it might be useful today for inspecting the precats.

Removed the O2 sensors - must vaccumm the car sometime soon - filthy  s:( :( s:(

Wasn't expecting what I saw, which was (I think) nothing at all there. I'm really hoping you can all confirm that this means that someone has already taken the trouble to remove them already and I should be over the moon at not having to worry about this anymore, or fork out any money.  Or, tell me that I'm a tw@t and am looking in entirely the wrong place, and should read the precats guide again (but don't be too hard on me because the images aren't visible on the precats thread anymore  s:) :) s:)  )
The images below are taken from my phone - I dropped the borescope camera as far into both holes as I could, but saw a lot of blackness on my laptop screen, .

Hate pointy animals

delhusband

Long shot here - has anyone on the forum ever owned GV06 MFY before me, that could maybe confirm that the precats have been removed? I'm still in touch with the dude I bought the car off, I'll give him a shout - they were a family of petrol heads so it's not impossible that they removed them...
Hate pointy animals

The Other Stu

That looks pretty pre-catless.
As a helper, you might want to start pricing up O2 sensors. They don't really like being played with  s:( :( s:(
Mine broke just after I changed the exhaust, however, they've since survived a cat and manifold change as I took them out before I did anything and wrapped them up carefully.

I think they might be made of chocolate.
No Longer Here

delhusband

Quote from: "The Other Stu"That looks pretty pre-catless.
Cheers dude, that made my day!  s:D :D s:D  Going to PM you in a minute, something unrelated, but that you might appreciate - make sense when you see it..  s:) :) s:)
Hate pointy animals

MR Roadie 2

The pictures are not clear enough to confirm.

If the pre-cats are still in you should what looks like a honey comb pattern. Do a google search for MR2 Roadster pre-cats this will give you images of what your looking for within the manifold.
2000 silver, Red leather seats, A/C.
Mods so far- 2005 Engine, Hankook tyres, Goodridge braided lines, EBC Greenstuff, Matt Performance brace, FL front brace, Yellowspeed coilovers, Custom quad exhaust + toyo manifold, markiii pipe, K&N Panel filter, TRD side skirts, rear spats, rear spoiler.

2006 Silver SP240 Turbo, red & black seats & red/black steering wheel, hardtop, ac, Halo DRL/Fog lights,

delhusband

Cheers roadie. Sorry, my photos arent great. I did that, seemed like the matrices were all really clear in the photos found in Google searches, and maybe a 40-50mm from top of entry? I was staring into what looked like an abyss. I'd be grateful for a second opinion though - if anyone is local and free anytime, I could bring my spanner & socket and beverage of choosing as a thanks  s:) :) s:)
Hate pointy animals

MR Roadie 2

Okay hint taken.

I will pm you later and we can arrange to catch up sometime in the next week.  s:) :) s:)
2000 silver, Red leather seats, A/C.
Mods so far- 2005 Engine, Hankook tyres, Goodridge braided lines, EBC Greenstuff, Matt Performance brace, FL front brace, Yellowspeed coilovers, Custom quad exhaust + toyo manifold, markiii pipe, K&N Panel filter, TRD side skirts, rear spats, rear spoiler.

2006 Silver SP240 Turbo, red & black seats & red/black steering wheel, hardtop, ac, Halo DRL/Fog lights,

delhusband

Thanks for this, appreciate it  s:) :) s:)
Hate pointy animals

delhusband

Quote from: "MR Roadie 2"Okay hint taken.
Thank you MR Roadie 2 for coming round today to have a look at the manifold. Confirmed, no precats, one financial bullet dodged, and peace of mind too  s:) :) s:)  you never did name your poison. I owe you
Hate pointy animals

Chilli Girl

That's good news Derek, at least you won't need to worry about them if they are not there!  I suspect Foxy still has them in.   s:( :( s:(
Ex owners of Chilli red facelift 52 reg called Chilli, silver 55 reg called Foxy and blue pfl W reg MR-S called Sapphire. Now 2 less!

delhusband

Quote from: "Chilli Girl"That's good news Derek, at least you won't need to worry about them if they are not there!  I suspect Foxy still has them in.   s:( :( s:(
I lucked out there  s:) :) s:)  if it's any consolation Jane its a quick check. Any members near you? If i'd have known what to look for 2 weeks ago, i'd have popped round - i wasn't a million miles away ( was in Butlins in Bognor for my hols  s:) :) s:)  )
Hate pointy animals

Chilli Girl

Perhaps someone at Shinding will help me find them or not as the case maybe.  I suspect I still do have them! Bognor certainly is closer than Ayrshire!  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:    s:lol: :lol: s:lol:
Ex owners of Chilli red facelift 52 reg called Chilli, silver 55 reg called Foxy and blue pfl W reg MR-S called Sapphire. Now 2 less!

delhusband

Quote from: "The Other Stu"you might want to start pricing up O2 sensors. They don't really like being played with  s:( :( s:(
Yup. Eml, p0171, 0v on O2 sensor 1 today. Checking plug and wires now  s:( :( s:(
Hate pointy animals

delhusband

Looking like a loose plug   s:roll: :roll: s:roll:    s:oops: :oops: s:oops:    s:) :) s:)
Hate pointy animals

delhusband

Thought I'd have a practice run on headlight restoration, tried it out on the rear upper brake light

Got bought a restoration kit a while back, has a drill attachment with sanding pads, buffing foam and buffing resin

Rear brake light is definitely worst on car

Really pleased with results, despite rushing it

Hate pointy animals

rich_p

Nice job!
My rear brake light is looking rather washed out too. Did the kit come with any sort of sealant?

delhusband

Quote from: "rich_p"Nice job!
My rear brake light is looking rather washed out too. Did the kit come with any sort of sealant?

Cheers! No, unfortunately not re:*sealant. Good point, I'll need to look at uv protection (is that what you mean, lacquer?
Hate pointy animals

rich_p

Lacquer should be ideal as long as you've the time and patience to spray it and wait for it to dry properly. I once spent a good while on some Ford Fiesta lights finishing them with clear lacquer and they looked factory.
I have a rain-x kit which came with some spray and wipe type stuff, which having used it on my Celica lights doesn't do a whole lot!

delhusband

Used a clay bar for first time, wow! Bought a meguiars detailing set, comes with detailing fluid, two clay bars and carnauba wax. Couldn't believe the filth that the clay bar picked up, after I'd washed it thoroughly before hand

Sent from my 5010X using Tapatalk
Hate pointy animals

Chilli Girl

Quote from: "delhusband"Used a clay bar for first time, wow! Bought a meguiars detailing set, comes with detailing fluid, two clay bars and carnauba wax. Couldn't believe the filth that the clay bar picked up, after I'd washed it thoroughly before hand

Brilliant job Derek and that high level brake light (that's a joke on an MR2) has really come up well.  Must do Foxy's as it was like yours!  s:D :D s:D

delhusband

The headlight restore kit was brilliant! I was hurrying, but for 20-25 minutes work I was chuffed - came out really clear

Hate pointy animals

delhusband

My Fog lights are looking a bit scabby, time to get off to Halfords and get some new bulbs, and see if I can dry out/seal the housings

Erm...   s:? :? s:?   s:( :( s:(  . bugger it - can't make an omelette without breaking a few eggs  s:D :D s:D

There's a thread dedicated to removing the bumper -
http://www.mr2roc.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=61427
I've added it to it today, unfortunately the photos weren't available thanks to Photobucket - I've added some new ones. Basically, there's 5 bolts under the "chin", 4 on top in front of the radiator, 2 either side underneath near the fogs/wheel arch, and then another 2 bolts hiding behind the wheel arch trim where the side panels and the bumper meet. once these are off, you need to pull gently upwards on the bumper along the line where the panels meet to release the bumper from a catch.  I'd removed the frunk cover, but I think maybe I didn't need to in the end (although discovered that you'd need to lift the front of the frunk trim off to get to two of the headlamps bolts to remove them by the look of it)

I'm starting to build a set of sheared bolts and broken clips- better see if I can find some and order a batch of trim screws/clips, frunk clips etc.

Good opportunity to inspect the steering wheel knuckle joint, I've seen this mentioned a few times.  Doesn't look great. My wallet's going to take some hit. Going to have to ask for opinions on prioritising spend.  Suspension looks terrible, this looks terrible. Think I'm going to go off and sob a little, regain my composure and start budgeting. I love my 2, but as I've seen on here maybe I should've spent less and bought something slightly older, and had more to spend on putting the same issues right.

All work now on hold until after trip to Holy Island on 12th, something to look forward to  s:D :D s:D
Hate pointy animals

2 of the left

Rain-X have put on the market a Headlight Restoration Kit, included is the elusive sealant - Have yet to try!! BUT will wait until the professionals have a go at Big Bears's Meet!!
SI VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM!!

2 of the left

The u/j, on my Blue, became exceedingly
 dangerous - Got a brand new one - Local garage sourced it - £160
SI VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM!!

delhusband

Quote from: "2 of the left"Rain-X have put on the market a Headlight Restoration Kit, included is the elusive sealant - Have yet to try!! BUT will wait until the professionals have a go at Big Bears's Meet!!
I'll keep an eye out for that, cheers

Quote from: "2 of the left"The u/j, on my Blue, became exceedingly
dangerous - Got a brand new one - Local garage sourced it - £160
The more I look underneath my car the less I want to take my 8yo out in it! But, I'll hopefully have some funds soon, suspension refresh is top priority, subframe already purchased  s:) :) s:)  then start treating body/chassis rust. Body is a bit tatty, but no rush. Engine though, that's running sweet!
Hate pointy animals

Tags: