My Silver '06

Started by delhusband, May 13, 2017, 11:42

The Other Stu

Quote from: "2 of the left"Rain-X have put on the market a Headlight Restoration Kit, included is the elusive sealant - Have yet to try!! BUT will wait until the professionals have a go at Big Bears's Meet!!
The quixx kit has always had the sealant.
No Longer Here

2 of the left

MR2's should run Sweet - Will see you Friday - I'll be in foul weather gear - The temp change for me will be a shocker!! - Will be in the bar at the Holiday Inn, warming up, wearing my veterans jacket, no doubt!!
SI VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM!!

delhusband

Quote from: "2 of the left"Will be in the bar at the Holiday Inn, warming up
Definitely, ill get a drink with you at the bar  s:) :) s:)  

Quote from: "2 of the left"wearing my veterans jacket, no doubt!!
No doubting you're ex-forces judging by your punctuation, "2 on the right"   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  (just pulling your leg!)
Hate pointy animals

2 of the left

of the left - Just saying!!
SI VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM!!

delhusband

Quote from: "2 of the left"of the left - Just saying!!
s:shock: :shock: s:shock:  
On reflection I see your point and apologise profusely. Wouldn't hit a short guy with glasses, would you?
  s:cry: :cry: s:cry:    s:bowdown: :bowdown: s:bowdown:  
   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:   s:P :P s:P
Hate pointy animals

Topdownman

I would wire brush the UJ, grease it up and see how you get on. They never look great as they are tucked away but if you arent getting steering problems then probably not an urgent one. It wont look half so bad with grease on.

The suspension refresh will make a big difference though if it has never been done.
"Racing" tax disc holder (binned), Poundland air freshener, (ran out), Annoying cylinder deficiency,  (sorted),
Winner of the Numb bum award 2017
Readers Ride

06 not V6 readers ride

delhusband

Quote from: "Topdownman"if you arent getting steering problems then probably not an urgent one
To be fair, I'm not noticing anything. Maybe feels a little less assisted than I remember, but nothing severe or scary like a loss of steering. And it's hard to tell without a benchmark, had my last 2  over 14 years ago. But will definitely do as advised thanks.

On the plus side, the bumper came off in 10 mins this evening  s:) :) s:)  downside was still still unable to remove fogs. They're well rusted in place, and it was rain that stopped play tonight. Maybe leave it for now.
Hate pointy animals

Chilli Girl

Hopefully my foggies will come out but they arnt as bad as yours  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  so shouldnt be too bad, its really only one that needs replacing but will do the two.
Ex owners of Chilli red facelift 52 reg called Chilli, silver 55 reg called Foxy and blue pfl W reg MR-S called Sapphire. Now 2 less!

delhusband

Deep clean of interior today, getting ready for the weekend. Resorted to stripping out car seats to vacuum all the bits that get missed. Kind of wished I'd left it, I feel dirty and in need of de-contamination - last owner was a lovely guy, did dog grooming for a living - judging by the carpets I reckon he'd been taking the hounds out for joyrides  s:) :) s:)

Paying attention to the detail - dum de dum! (pinkie extended for full effect)

Hate pointy animals

delhusband

Pics there now.  Started using Flikr, I've downloaded all my pictures from Photobucket, uploaded to Flikr, and soon I'll start the long and painful process of swapping over the pictures in my threads.  Good thing with Flickr, like imgur, I can create a link to a smaller image
Hate pointy animals

delhusband

Quote from: "delhusband"Bulbs and holders arrived  s:) :) s:)
After replacing the coolant gauge bulb, it became the brightest bulb in the dash.  So ended up buying another 9 bulbs to replace the rest

"before" picture;

After.  the changing light levels outside, and crappy smartphone camera, make it look like I'm exaggerating the effect, but it's actually really noticeable, big improvement (and no, I wasn't playing with the dimmer between shots!).

Hate pointy animals

shnazzle

Is that 99132-YZZBJ for the part number?
How many bulbs do you get in that box?
And.. How much?
Think I'll replace my LEDs for some fresh oem bulbs
...neutiquam erro.

delhusband

Quote from: "shnazzle"Is that 99132-YZZBJ for the part number?
Yep, that's the right part number  s:) :) s:)  45p per bulb - that's twice now I've ordered a random amount - 3 the first time, 9 this time - I've just chucked the packaging out but I'm pretty sure it was a cardboard strip of 10. Cheapest mod I've made yet. Difference was night and day (boom boom!  s:D :D s:D  )
Hate pointy animals

shnazzle

Excellent cheers. Will stop by Toyota soon
...neutiquam erro.

rich_p

Very nice! I've always though the dash was a bit dull.
I'll be doing the same I think.

shnazzle

Just bought mine. 5.40 for 10 incl tax. I'll have to get some more later
...neutiquam erro.

Call the midlife!

Quote from: "shnazzle"Just bought mine. 5.40 for 10 incl tax. I'll have to get some more later
Stupid question but did you just walk into a dealership and buy them? The nearest Toyota main dealer to me is around 25 miles away!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
60% of the time it works everytime...

delhusband

Quote from: "Call the midlife!"
Quote from: "shnazzle"Just bought mine. 5.40 for 10 incl tax. I'll have to get some more later
Stupid question but did you just walk into a dealership and buy them? The nearest Toyota main dealer to me is around 25 miles away!

I just phoned dealer and asked them if they could post them out. Got to tell you, service at my main stealership is brilliant (Arnold Clark in Paisley), they've been giving me awesome discount on bulk orders for suspension parts
Hate pointy animals

Call the midlife!

Quote from: "delhusband"

I just phoned dealer and asked them if they could post them out. Got to tell you, service at my main stealership is brilliant (Arnold Clark in Paisley), they've been giving me awesome discount on bulk orders for suspension parts
Aaah, I might try that then, I put the part number in Google last night and all the results were in Russian or Greek or some form of symbols rather than letters apart from the word Toyota!

shnazzle

I called in advance and reserved the only box they had. Then drove in
...neutiquam erro.

Call the midlife!

Quote from: "shnazzle"I called in advance and reserved the only box they had. Then drove in
Yeah, I didn't really express myself very well with my initial question did I?[emoji23] Cheers!

delhusband

Quote from: "shnazzle"I called in advance and reserved the only box they had. Then drove in
Yeah, I didn't really express myself very well with my initial question did I?[emoji23] Cheers!

Lol! I'm trying to think of a punchline for "how many midlifes does it take to change a lightbulb" that includes the word "dealership" (although I'm clutching at straws tbh!)   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:
Hate pointy animals

Call the midlife!

Quote from: "delhusband"

Lol! I'm trying to think of a punchline for "how many midlifes does it take to change a lightbulb" that includes the word "dealership" (although I'm clutching at straws tbh!)   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:
Good luck with that!

delhusband

Quote from: "Call the midlife"Good luck with that!
Yeah, avoid my entries in the jokes section too -  they don't get any better either lol!  s;) ;) s;)
Hate pointy animals

delhusband

Attempt number 3 at replacing the front fog bulbs and drying out/sealing the units. Got the front bumper fully removed for the first time. Previously it had been hanging from the bottom (I'd been removing the wrong bottom bolts - 5 bolts that hold the rubber chin on, instead of the 3 bolts behind them which go into the, erm, chassis?).
I managed to shear the head off 2 of the 3 underside bolts.  That's 1 of the 4 top bolts, 2 of the 3 bottom bolts, and 1 of the 5 rubber chin screw heads sheared. I probably should have sprayed with more WD40 and waited a little longer before attempting. Anyway, I'll order up some spare bolts and set about using my dremmel and tap/die set next time and practice removing the stuck bolts.  I reckon drilling/tapping might be an invaluable skill to learn judging by the state of the car underneath
Practicing rubbing down/treating/priming and re-painting of rusty surfaces will be next skill to learn after that.

Once the bumper was off and the cable clips were removed from the bulbs, I had to pry at a some plastic tabs to release the foglights from their housings

There is a black plastic shroud/surround for an adjustment screw, that I had to pry inwards and push through the hole

There was a large tab on one side of the lamp that had to be prised out a bit - once that was loose, the lamp kind of slides and pushes out of the hole at the other side

Once released, I got a good look at the lamp housings which looked very badly corroded.  I wasn't able to unscrew the bulbs to release them, and the 3 x retaining screws on the plastic collar, although looking good on the head, were completely seized within the thread and the driver was just chewing at the slotted head.  Don't like waste, but I'm thinking these are a lost cause.

Hate pointy animals

Tags: