Spare keys

Started by m1tch, June 5, 2017, 07:06

m1tch

Hi all,

I have a feeling that the MR2 I am hopefully collecting this weekend might only have 1 key meaning I would need to get a spare/replacement, my questions are:

Who is able to code the keys?
Is Ebay the best place to get a blank key (guessing with a blank transponder)?
Does the key operate the central locking or is it just the remote (eg you have to open each of the doors manually if using the key)?
Is it possible to use just the key and not the remote and not have the alarm go off (eg if the battery in the fob dies)?

MR Roadie 2

My car came with 1 key.

I bought a key via Ebay. I had to send the seller a photo of the current car key blade. The seller then sent a new key already cut.
I then contacted Dick Sloan for transponder to put into the blank key casing.
I got a copy of the re-coding (the MR2 dance) off the forum to re-program my key. This to me 2 attempts to get the key to operate correctly.

I try and get the contacts and the thread for reprograming.  s:D :D s:D

l viewtopic.php?f=47&t=23563 l
2000 silver, Red leather seats, A/C.
Mods so far- 2005 Engine, Hankook tyres, Goodridge braided lines, EBC Greenstuff, Matt Performance brace, FL front brace, Yellowspeed coilovers, Custom quad exhaust + toyo manifold, markiii pipe, K&N Panel filter, TRD side skirts, rear spats, rear spoiler.

2006 Silver SP240 Turbo, red & black seats & red/black steering wheel, hardtop, ac, Halo DRL/Fog lights,

smarty72

What MR Roadie 2 said.
Although I bought a Toy 41 bladed key from eBay for around £3 and got my local cobbler to cut it for me.
I also bought a used transponder from eBay and programmed it to both the central locking and immobiliser with the instructions readily available on the internet.

All in, cost under £30 [emoji4].
current: Astral Black FL

Ex: Forest Green 2003.

m1tch

Thanks for the info guys, have checked with the seller and he has 1 standard key, the valet key and a fob without a key blade - might be able to simply buy a new key blade and swap the internals over or recode myself, I only ask as when I had a Mercedes it was dealer only to reprogram the key as it was hard locked to the ECU and VIN of the car.

paulj

When you get your keys cut, remember to cut from the main key and not the valet.  The main key is the one which will open the glovebox and luggage compartments.

When programming there are two distinct processes to go through.  One is pairing the alarm with the new key and the other is programming the transponder chip for the ignition. As mentioned before, instructions for both on here.
Today
2000 x reg pfl - blue - as original no mods
In the late 1980's
1982 x reg Toyota Corolla Liftback Coupe (also blue)
1978 s reg Mitsubishi Celeste Coupe (yellow)

BahnStormer

Any updates on the kest way to get a replacement internals (fob) that will fit a stock key?

I only have one key and it's getting a little "tired"... so v nervous right now.
Black 2006: AC & heated leather: 4x Megillian braces, Koni/Tein custom suspension, MTEC+YS+braided brakes, Toyosports manifold, TTE exhaust, Conti PremiumContact2(summer)/ Conti TS860S(winter) / YokoAD08RS (track/summer), Pioneer MVH-390BT + TS-E171ci, FBSW, Robbins mohair hood.

Treboeth

Quote from: BahnStormer on April 11, 2018, 15:33
Any updates on the kest way to get a replacement internals (fob) that will fit a stock key?

I only have one key and it's getting a little "tired"... so v nervous right now.

The best way to get new internals is either on ebay or through one of the breakers in the affiliates section.

paulj

If searching eBay, you want a Tokai Rika fob.  Toyota fobs come in three flavours and you don't want Valeo or Denso
Today
2000 x reg pfl - blue - as original no mods
In the late 1980's
1982 x reg Toyota Corolla Liftback Coupe (also blue)
1978 s reg Mitsubishi Celeste Coupe (yellow)

BahnStormer

Thanks guys - looks like the first remote I got was a dud: here's the confirmed steps!!

So the steps are:(NOW TESTED AND WORKING!!)
1) Key: TOY41 Blade
   a) sourced: (£3-£10 on eBay) - mine was <£6 for two, but tested and they work!
   b) cut: £5 per key at a local market stall - don't bother with Timpsons (£60 incl key) or Homebase (willing but unable).
2) Fob: Tokai Rika (£15-£20 on eBay)
3) assemble: open key (small philips screw), snug fit, but fob clicked in, with rubbers in place and screwed it together (difficulty level 0.5/10)
4) Coding:
   a) "dance" to recode the remote for the alarm/door locks
"dance" to recode the remote for the alarm/door locks: just watch the Dutch guy in the video - seemed easiest that way!
   b) "dance" to recode the remote for the immobiliser - as per the link below, but just remember:
      i) it's only key in - NOT key in and turn (I tried one way, then the other, then back to the first way and that worked - I think I messed up counting to 5 or 6  :-\).
      ii) to watch for the immobiliser light next to the fan/aircon controls to start flashing - THEN WAIT 60sec for it to stop flashing!!

Turned the key once the immobiliser stopped flashing... and the engine fired immediately :)

Total cost: ~£27 (blade, cutting, fob).

I don't know if '2's EVER came with "grey" keys, but apparently the steps above only work if you have a fully functioning master "black" key.

Black 2006: AC & heated leather: 4x Megillian braces, Koni/Tein custom suspension, MTEC+YS+braided brakes, Toyosports manifold, TTE exhaust, Conti PremiumContact2(summer)/ Conti TS860S(winter) / YokoAD08RS (track/summer), Pioneer MVH-390BT + TS-E171ci, FBSW, Robbins mohair hood.

Treboeth

BahnStormer

Quote from: Treboeth on April 12, 2018, 21:12
The Dance

https://www.mr2roc.org/forum/index.php?topic=23563.0

perfect.... I still just laugh every time I see that....

I'm going to have decide if I do it under the dead of night or find an abandoned car park somewhere, where there's no chance of anybody watching.... it's basically doing the hokey cokey in and out your MR2, with a key in your hand, isn't it?!?

Treboeth

I`m a little shocked you are treating it with such a lack of respect  :o

The Key Dance has to be done at midnight under a street light, roof down with the alarm sounding to attract the correct viewing audience  ;)

Call the midlife!

This is only half helpful I know but someone posted a YouTube (I think) video on the Facebook page a while back of an easier, shorter version of one of the "Dances". Can't remember the details unfortunately so like I said, half helpful.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
60% of the time it works everytime...

Call the midlife!

https://youtu.be/SgEYPdBemHI
Not sure if the link will work but it might help.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
60% of the time it works everytime...

BahnStormer

I'm sorry if this isn't giving it the due respect, but that dance is even more ridiculous on video than reading it on paper!

That's just the alarm and remote locking dance.... still have to do the immobilizer dance.... and that's a proper right foot in, out, in, out, in, out, in, out, in, out (and shake it all about).... then left foot in, out, in, out..... oh dear, I lost count..... if I want to start again do I have to go all the way back inside the house and sit down again?

Treboeth

Quote from: BahnStormer on April 13, 2018, 16:03
I'm sorry if this isn't giving it the due respect, but that dance is even more ridiculous on video than reading it on paper!

That's just the alarm and remote locking dance.... still have to do the immobilizer dance.... and that's a proper right foot in, out, in, out, in, out, in, out, in, out (and shake it all about).... then left foot in, out, in, out..... oh dear, I lost count..... if I want to start again do I have to go all the way back inside the house and sit down again?

Yes definitely  ;D

I forgot to mention you must have someone video the whole dance and upload it to this thread so other members can judge your performance  :))

BahnStormer

Ok, where can you get the keys cut?

I got a couple of the TOY41 blades off fleabay as a trial... but Timpsons' won't touch them: they will only do their own blades and want £55 just for that!!

I also tried Homebase, the lady there was game, but said that unless I could take the blade out entirely away from the plastic, it wouldn't fit in their machine....

Any suggestions?

Bossworld

Quote from: BahnStormer on April 24, 2018, 18:09
Ok, where can you get the keys cut?

I got a couple of the TOY41 blades off fleabay as a trial... but Timpsons' won't touch them: they will only do their own blades and want £55 just for that!!

I also tried Homebase, the lady there was game, but said that unless I could take the blade out entirely away from the plastic, it wouldn't fit in their machine....

Any suggestions?

Either somewhere on a market stall or see if this guy can do TOY41, he did mine (paid more direct from their site).

http://vi.raptor.ebaydesc.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItemDescV4&item=222139893939&category=53908&pm=1&ds=0&t=1507949167000&ver=0&cspheader=1

ManInDandism

Just seek out a local independent locksmith. 

Won't have to adhere to any corporate ruling and will be happy for the business.  Cost me 6 quid I think.
Black 2004 Roadster
Previous: Black 1994 Mk2 Turbo

BahnStormer

Quote from: Bossworld on April 24, 2018, 19:19
Either somewhere on a market stall or see if this guy can do TOY41, he did mine (paid more direct from their site).

http://vi.raptor.ebaydesc.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItemDescV4&item=222139893939&category=53908&pm=1&ds=0&t=1507949167000&ver=0&cspheader=1
Quote from: ManInDandism on April 24, 2018, 21:15
Just seek out a local independent locksmith. 

Won't have to adhere to any corporate ruling and will be happy for the business.  Cost me 6 quid I think.
Thanks, I'll try some of those...

BahnStormer

Kingston-Upon-Thames, town centre locksmith van cut the two blades for £10 and said they're at least as good quality as the original, so no harm in getting the online versions. Timpsons seem to have a national policy of not cutting other people's key blades now.... not surprising when I paid £13 total for what they wanted to charge me £60 for....

The key turn the barrel and crank the engine, but without the immobiliser units coded, it never fires.... so at least the immobiliser works!! If I place the original key next to the steering column when I use the new key in the ignition, then the engine fires and it all works perfectly :)

Time to get a working fob and put my dancing shoes on!!

BahnStormer

I can confirm that mine is working now - first fob I had was a dud, tried new batteries, etc... still never coded.

I've updated the previous "how to" above: https://www.mr2roc.org/forum/index.php?topic=62660.msg761244#msg761244

Quote from: BahnStormer on April 12, 2018, 20:30
Thanks guys - looks like the first remote I got was a dud: here's the confirmed steps!!

So the steps are:(NOW TESTED AND WORKING!!)
1) Key: TOY41 Blade
   a) sourced: (£3-£10 on eBay) - tested and works!
   b) cut: £5 per key at a local market stall - don't bother with Timpsons (£60 incl key) or Homebase (willing but unable).
2) Fob: Tokai Rika (£15-£20 on eBay)
3) assemble: open key (small philips screw), snug fit, but fob clicked in, with rubbers in place and screwed it together (difficulty level 0.5/10)
4) Coding:
   a) "dance" to recode the remote for the alarm/door locks
"dance" to recode the remote for the alarm/door locks: just watch the Dutch guy in the video - seemed easiest that way!
   b) "dance" to recode the remote for the immobiliser - as per the link below, but just remember:
      i) it's only key in - NOT key in and turn (I tried one way, then the other, then back to the first way and that worked - I think I messed up counting to 5 or 6  :-\).
      ii) to watch for the immobiliser light next to the fan/aircon controls to start flashing - THEN WAIT 60sec for it to stop flashing!!

Turned the key once the immobiliser stopped flashing... and the engine fired immediately :)

Total cost: ~£27 (blade, cutting, fob).

I don't know if '2's EVER came with "grey" keys, but apparently the steps above only work if you have a fully functioning master "black" key.

lemans

I recently tried an Ebay blank. Just want to put my old internals in a new case as the old case fell to bits in France last month.

The new blade won't go all the way into my ignition. The blank looks very similar to the original. Does this mean I have a dud blank?

Thanks
Daryl
Facelift Black MR2 with red leather interior. Hardtop, rear brace, SP body brace, TRD short shift, Mongo\'s,  Dev\'s & SP Turbo - 238bp, 220lbft.

normanh

Seems lots are buying duff TOY41 blanks I have 2 just useless, even when I filed out the slot with a rifle file, the guy that cut it loved charging but wouldnt warrant the cutting - its useless. All I wanted was the back plastic with I have fitted to mt original key solving my problem ,just annoying the blade didnt fit.

Norman

CunningLinguist

Just in case anyone else is still needing to get another key, I'd like to recommend the chap I bought one from today. It is a flip key, with a TOY41 blade, coded to match the immobiliser and ready for the "dance" to program the remote locking.  I called in with the existing key and within 20 minutes had the new key, along with a useful sheet showing the key code, the transponder details, etc., and was instructed on all aspects. 

Unfortunately I wasn't in the MR2 - if I had've been, the helpful seller would have done the remote programming too.  Postal service is available.

As this is my first post, I'm not sure whether I can include a link, so please PM me if you want more details.

I've no connection with the business. I'd done a lot of internet/forum searching and contacted a few auto locksmiths and eBayers before finding this fella, and it isn't often that service (and price) impresses me enough to prompt a recommendation.

Tags: