PROJECT BLACK

Started by ilovejapcrap, June 8, 2017, 20:01

ilovejapcrap

So this is my mr2 :

ive purchased it with no MOT and 77,000 on the clock.

my mate drove it home for me on trade plates and says it drives ok.

It does however Smoke

ilovejapcrap

so I took it to a mechanic mate to try and fathom out what's up with it.

before I went it was looking like this :

m https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SE2Ae1Ym-Qo m

Smoke was white and black leading me to hope it wasn't the common oil ring issue.

After taking it to his garage it would seem its now showing as blue smoke and worse case scenario !!

so strip down it is :

ilovejapcrap

ilovejapcrap

getting closer

ilovejapcrap

wire loom removed from engine :

I found this very easy not sure why a lot take out full loom with engine ?

ilovejapcrap

ok guys one question,

what is this looking up at engine from under car

next to alternator I'm guessing a plug for model with air con ???

Smcknighty

Yeah I had the same thought, it's in the right area. I can confirm if you don't have aircon then there is a disconnected connector there!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ilovejapcrap

Phew,

engine out yesterday !

ilovejapcrap

then stripped down :

ilovejapcrap

It would seem my oil burning issue was coming from cylinder no. 3

when first stripping as you turned engine you could see a small line of oil piston 3 was unable to scrape back and thus would be getting burned

also on the head the valves for cylinder 3 had a huge amount of carbon build up compared to the others.

Not sure if photo shows this !!

shnazzle

How did you get the engine out? Surely it didn't slide out from under that space on the pics?

And your suspension are arms still connected... Or did you put them back in loosely after removing the engine?

I'm confused. If you managed to remove the engine just on those ramps, which I have, it makes my engine swap shopping list a fair bit shorter in a couple of years
...neutiquam erro.

ilovejapcrap

The car stayed on ramps during removal. once I'd removed the drive shafts I bolted hubs etc back on loose and then sat car on them.

I took inlet manifold off engine whilst in car.

So just engine and gearbox with starter and alternator left on.

I did not remove the wire loom with engine simply took off any plugs connected to engine and tied all loom up out of way.

Unbolted the engine mounts with engine on a jack.

Then lowered down as much as possible. Once down tilt engine to get out on its side man handle off jack onto the creeper I had then pull. The alternator will just clear the subframe.

Two man job to rag about but basically I pulled it out on its side with exhaust exit on ground.

To be honest it was fairly easy. When on jack have a good bit off wood that will cover gearbox to sump and jack in middle it holds engine fairly straight.

I'm gonna put back in two bits. Engine first then box.

Loads of room

ilovejapcrap

I should also note when on creeper board I span it so it came on its side and out side wards if that makes sence ?

ilovejapcrap

ilovejapcrap

new parts are arriving

shnazzle

Thanks for the explanation of how it came out.
Sounds like it's very doable without lifts etc.
I would just unbolt the subframe to be honest, for the sake of a few bolts. 100 quid for a re-alignment afterwards is neither here nor there on a full engine rebuild is it?  s:) :) s:)

Pistons look like they'll oil up just fine  s:) :) s:)  
A running total of costs would be amazing haha. If I may be so bold
...neutiquam erro.

jvanzyl

Wow... that's pretty amazing without lifts.. didn't know it was possible!

ilovejapcrap

Quote from: "shnazzle"A running total of costs would be amazing haha. If I may be so bold

Yes I'm gonna give total cost of build on engine afterwards no problem.

I am getting some parts cost via a mechanic mate and also replacing some stuff others did not but want it right and all done whilst out.

Updates to follow.

ilovejapcrap

Quote from: "jvanzyl"Wow... that's pretty amazing without lifts.. didn't know it was possible!

Not just possible it's actual really easy I was dreading it with all the stuff I read on internet.

But just lay on its side (bit of a wiggle whilst doing this ) then spin on a Creeper and pull out.

ilovejapcrap

more parts arrived !!!!

ilovejapcrap

head back from being honed  s:) :) s:)

ilovejapcrap

bottom end back together

ilovejapcrap

Progress update :

top end stripped cleaned valves re lapped and put back together

ilovejapcrap

old valve steam seals:

I found a real pain to remove: