ABS Clarification

Started by Anonymous, February 7, 2005, 17:07

Anonymous

Quote from: "aaronjb"if you're passing, you're more than welcome) and compare the two.. That way you'll know for sure and have ammunition for Mr T  s:) :) s:)

Where are you at matey?

Anonymous

Just noticed this thread, and I can say I also have had the 'coasting' experience.
It happened a couple of weeks ago. I was coming over a slight rise when the traffic in front braked sharply. (all driving too close and having to react too quickly and brake too sharply on a damp road!)
I jumped on the brakes, the ABS cut in for a second, (juddery pedal as expected) then for the last ten yards or so, despite constant pressure on the brake pedal, the car seemed to coast to a stop, with no feeling of ABS juddering. I had left a big enought gap to the vehicle in front so this was not a problem, but it did feel a little odd. (and scary!) It was almost like lack of servo assistance for a couple of seconds.
It was disconcerting enough for me to test the brakes with a bit of harsh braking a couple of times when the road was empty, but I could not replicate the coasting effect.
I have found the juddering / grinding effect of ABS to be more pronounced on the MR2 than other ABS equipped cars I have driven, but I put this down to the light weight, especially at the front end.
I must admit since this happened, it has slightly dented by faith in the cars supreme braking ability, even though it seemed to be an isolated incident.
I seem to remember reading somwhere that ABS can actually increase braking distances under certain circumstances. I guess the moral of the story is not to rely too much on automated systems to get you out of trouble!

Tem

Quote from: "CrazyDave"I jumped on the brakes, the ABS cut in for a second, (juddery pedal as expected) then for the last ten yards or so, despite constant pressure on the brake pedal, the car seemed to coast to a stop, with no feeling of ABS juddering.

It was disconcerting enough for me to test the brakes with a bit of harsh braking a couple of times when the road was empty, but I could not replicate the coasting effect.

You should be able to replicate that quite easily, just brake hard enough to barely engage the ABS and then leave the brake pedal at that point. I learned to do it for fun, doesn't work every time, but I'd say 4 times out of 5 or so.

You shouldn't have that issue, if you just floor the brake pedal.
Sure you can live without 500hp, but it\'s languishing.

Slacey

What you need to remember is that ABS will increase the braking distance as it's letting the brakes off at repeated intervals, the idea being that it gives you some degree of steering control to avoid wht it is you are braking hard for. For maximum effect where short braking distances are required, you need to learn to modulate the pedal so that the ABS never kicks in to start with - this is also something they teach on advanced driving courses.
Ex 2002 Black / Red Leather Hass Turbo

Anonymous

Not sure if this helps, but I have always found it very difficult to "test" ABS.  Its very difficult to "jump" on the brake when there is no actual danger.  So my road tests have been 20mph stops and the ABS just kicked in as I had nearly stopped.

However...

I have always thought that the Celica brakes where a bit spongy compared to the 2 (although it does share the pull to the right that the 2 suffers), until a few weeks ago on the M1.  There I was happily driving along at about 80 in the outside lane following a bunch of traffic.  I had a nice big gap in front (luckily) as all hell broke loose in front (not sure what happened but everyone started hitting each other.

Being as most of us where actually lane hopping, I sort of I jammed on the anchors as I moved into the left hand lane, and honestly thought I was going to hit the car in front of me (see spongy brake comment).  I litterly stopped dead, however ABS kicked in almost instantly, and continued to make some nasty noises and shuddering until I was stopped....and missed the car in front and sort of pulled up alongside the mess.

It was my first real world experince of ABS, and without knowing to keep that foot jammed, would have wondered what was going on (its not a nice noise or feeling)

Tem

Quote from: "cstevens"Its very difficult to "jump" on the brake when there is no actual danger.

It was my first real world experince of ABS, and without knowing to keep that foot jammed, would have wondered what was going on (its not a nice noise or feeling)

Yeah, the first time feels very weird. That's why everyone really should test it by flooring the pedal. Of course after checking the rear view mirror first  s8) 8) s8)

Anonymous

Quote from: "Slacey"What you need to remember is that ABS will increase the braking distance as it's letting the brakes off at repeated intervals, the idea being that it gives you some degree of steering control to avoid wht it is you are braking hard for. For maximum effect where short braking distances are required, you need to learn to modulate the pedal so that the ABS never kicks in to start with - this is also something they teach on advanced driving courses.

Not sure I fully agree with this.  
Apart from in snow, maximum retardation is achieved with a small % of slip between tyre and tarmac.  When the wheels are fully locked up, retardation is slower.  
With ABS, if you press the brake pedal as hard as possible, the brakes apply super-hard, the system then detects a skid and releases the brakes very briefly, then re-applies them when the skid stops, repeating until the car stops or the pedal is released.  In this way, the wheels are as close as possible to the lock-up point where maximum useful braking is acheived.  A very useful side-effect is the ability to steer round objects, because the wheels aren't locked up all the time.  Of course, without ABS, if you don't brake beyond the point of lock-up, you can still steer.  ABS just does part of the job for you and better than 99.9% of drivers could manage on their own (apart from in snow).  
I realise there is a lot of bollocks spouted on the 'net, but the below link helps explain, I think.  
 m http://www.driversdomainuk.com/advanced ... ur_car.php m

Tem

You people have dozens of GTech that can measure 60-0mph braking, why don't you go and do some test runs with and without ABS  s;) ;) s;)

IMHO, ABS is more constant and gets a good stopping every time, but you can brake better without it.

Anonymous

Just got back from a long run, this coasting you are all on about, does it happen when not using ABS?

Twice today, I have breaked...a bit hard, but not jumped on.  However I found that both times just as I am comming to a stop the car seems to glide without loosing any speed...OK so at this point I was going slow, but the two situations in question where close.

A) braked as a car in front hesitated at a roundabout that I thought he was going to go as I approached him.  I was VERY close to hitting him.

B) braking for a set of traffic lights, this was bad, I ended up around 5 foot over the line due to this.

She (Celica) is in for her first 10000 miles service on Monday, and i have stated earlier about spongy feeling, today I think it was downright dangerous.

aaronjb

Quote from: "bigun007"
Quote from: "aaronjb"if you're passing, you're more than welcome) and compare the two.. That way you'll know for sure and have ammunition for Mr T  s:) :) s:)

Where are you at matey?

Slough bud - so sort of between Hull and Sussex (kinda)..
[size=85]2001 Vauxhall Omega 3.2V6 Elite / 2003 BMW M3 Convertible / Dax 427 (in build)
ex-2002 MR2 TopSecret Turbo Roadster[/size]

roger

Just in case it helps you guys, did an emergency stop at North Weald going round a LH corner at 70mph.

The ABS came on, only a very slight judder, the pedal felt as though it was being pushed back at me, and the stop was very smooth, but quick!

Because the braking was constant the car stayed in one configuration and no spin ensued. Playing with the brakes caused a spin because it got unsettled (brake, nose down. lift off nose up etc)

The moral is hit the pedal hard, and keep it there.

Roger
Roger

EX: \'04 Sable + PE Turbo and many other things
NOW: MR2 on steroids - \'12 Merc SLK200 AMG125

Use Spydersearch if you are stuck for information. Please.
Check my fuel consumption

Tags: