Advice on improving bodywork

Started by mikeee, June 9, 2017, 12:46

mikeee

The bodywork on my car is pretty good - a couple of marks, dinks and light scratching. However if I was to try to get it looking as good as possible what would you recommend doing?

Professional detailing, use a company who do small repairs such as Chips Away or would a full respray be the only way?

I'm in East Kilbride and would travel a reasonable distance for the best solution.

Thanks.

shnazzle

You can achieve a hell of a lot with a bottle of G3 Scratch remover (black bottle,green tag) and G3 Paint Renovator (black bottle, yellow tag).

It takes some elbow grease and you'll be wrecked, but it works.

Get an applicator pad (also G3) and cheap bottle of Demon Shine detailing spray.

Put 5 peas of scratch remover on the pad, mist the panel with the detailing spray, then up/down and left/right on the panel.
If it gets dry, spray with the Demon shine. After a good few passes, wipe with microfiber and repeat with the paint Renovator.
Wipe off. Done.
...neutiquam erro.

ilovejapcrap

You'd be amazed what the dint blokes can remove without damaging paint nowerdays

mikeee

Thanks shnazzle - i think i need to get it looking it's best with some elbow grease first.

ilovejapcrap - any experience of the Chips Away company? i might get them to give me a quote.

Anyone else recommend any dink/body repairs guys within a reasonable distance of East Kilbride?

cptspaulding

Abercorn coachworks in Paisley gets great word-of-mouth press for scratch repair & the like - not sure about dent repairs. Only does small stuff. He's not interested in doing entire panels.

Got a good recommendation for RM Bodyworks in EK too.
Former owner 2003, 2zz conversion.

mikeee

Thanks Stu.

Re RM - i wouldn't recommend them. Won't say any more here.

carolineasb

Another member on here L14HRE is from EK although he sold his Mk3. He is in the process of selling his Mk2 at the moment and I don't think he has been on here for a wee while, however, he stated in his ad for his Mk2 that it's been professionally detailed and ceramic coated so you may be able to message him to find out where he got it done?
2006 (56) Blue TF300 (Newbie)<br />2001 (Y)  Silver (Oldie)
2004 (04) Black (The Inbetweenie)

mikeee

Ah OK - that sounds like a good idea. Thanks.

JoeCool

I bought an entire set of panels off a well cared for 2006 car. Sorted it right out after someone dropped a few pallets on my car..... Swapping them was easier than a good wash.
2ZZ '02 Roadster

shnazzle

The paintwork on my old black pre-fl was nothing short of shocking when I got it. By the time I sold it it looked better than a good few FLs.
It took a machine polisher but that's about it.
But as Joe says, having that done professionally can be more costly than just getting panels swapped from a breaker  s:) :) s:)
...neutiquam erro.

carolineasb

Contacted L14HRE on another forum and he says it was Prestige Detailing Scotland that he used. They have branches in Glasgow and Fife area.
2006 (56) Blue TF300 (Newbie)<br />2001 (Y)  Silver (Oldie)
2004 (04) Black (The Inbetweenie)

mikeee

Thanks for all the advise guys.
I think i'll look at the professional detailing first and take it from there. Was recommended RGK Detailing nr Wishaw but took a drive there yesterday and there was no sign of them.
Getting breaker panels that are better than what I've got might be tough - the general condition is still pretty good. I'll tell Dick in Carlisle to keep a look out.

Tags: