V8 upgrade

Started by 8thumpers, June 18, 2017, 15:51

8thumpers

Has anyone upgraded the front brakes and if so, what did you use? I'm looking at gt4 205 calipers....

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

MR TWO

I have thought about switching out the brakes, but the prices have always been crazy... Plus too be honest, my car stops very well on yellows & upgraded discs. I will be interested to hear from you on prices and performance if you find something and subsequently write up a report.
1MZFE, Emerald ECU, LSD, BC coilovers, custom middle & front under brace, F / R strut brace. Slotted discs & yellow pads, Blue flame exhaust.
Carrera leather seats, Davids bars, Focal subwoofer & voce speakers & bling !
TRD Stage 2 F & R spoilers,  Haltezza bonnet, C1 side vents, JDL rear panel

m1tch

Perhaps look to uprate the pads with stock discs, how much power are you running? A lighter car won't need big brakes to stop well.

8thumpers

Im looking at gt4 205 calipers and discs on the front - some modification is required and 17" rims probably for clearance.
I need big stoppers cos of the v8 going in it. The rears are audi hubs so will have A5 discs with the gt4 rear calipers.

Ardent

I did wonder why the need to upgrade.

8thumpers

Would be wise I thought! The audi 4.2 is around 370bhp

wotugonado

Wilwood  do/did an upgrade for the fronts. You'll need to dig around for availability, try gt4 play in the affiliates section on here as a first step if your interested.
---------------Tte turbo----------------
      Graced the tarmac from 2014-2019

m1tch

Quote from: "8thumpers"I'm looking at gt4 205 calipers and discs on the front - some modification is required and 17" rims probably for clearance.
I need big stoppers cos of the v8 going in it. The rears are audi hubs so will have A5 discs with the gt4 rear calipers.

Why not go with one of the TFSi engines? More power out of a smaller more compact engine, the 4.2 V8 is getting on a bit now and its only NA whereas if you went with a 2.0 TFSi engine or perhaps the 3.0 TFSi V6 it might be a more tunable option.

JoeCool

I'd imagine it's to do with being able to get cars with the 4.2 V8 for peanuts. My mate couldn't shift his 4.2 A8 for months at a grand, and it was a good car.

Plus... V8.
2ZZ '02 Roadster

Essex2Visuvesi

Freakyparts do a kit for the fronts it's about 800 quid tho

8thumpers

Quote from: "Essex2Visuvesi"Freakyparts do a kit for the fronts it's about 800 quid though
Cheers for info. I have a bid on some calipers at mo... need a refurb but could get them for less than 100 quid... fingers crossed!

ChrisGB

Quote from: "JoeCool"Plus... V8.

This is enough of a reason on its own.
Ex 2GR-FE roadster. Sold it. Idiot.  Now Jaguar XE-S 380. Officially over by the bins.

m1tch

Point taken, its a V8, will be interested to see the brake upgrade you do go for though  s:) :) s:)

8thumpers

Well I already have the v8, gearbox, audi driveshafts/hubs, Ftype exhaust and Vems ecu... be rude not to do the conversion!
Oh and nearly completed the garage too!

8thumpers

Dream workshop... only taken 35 years to achieve!!

lamcote

How does that lot fit in to an MR2? Will the engine be inline, if so will you be increasing the wheelbase?
Silver 2004 MR2 -  Unmodified but very shiny.

8thumpers

The audi gearbox has it's driveshaft output between the clutch and flywheel so the distance from shaft to front of engine is only 550mm

Quote from: "lamcote"How does that lot fit in to an MR2? Will the engine be inline, if so will you be increasing the wheelbase?

lamcote

Looks very interesting, what is the solution for the rear suspension and chassis structure behind the rear bulkhead? Is the engine low enough to retain the soft top roof?
Silver 2004 MR2 -  Unmodified but very shiny.

8thumpers

Quote from: "lamcote"Looks very interesting, what is the solution for the rear suspension and chassis structure behind the rear bulkhead? Is the engine low enough to retain the soft top roof?
I should be able to maintain the existing suspension turrets and am building new hub carriers to fit adjustable suspension arms to from, as near as possible, the existing chassis pickup points.
I'll fabricate a new crossmember to replace the subframe as the gearbox will go through the original. That will give oppo for extra bracing and mounts for it all too.

8thumpers

Quote from: "m1tch"
Quote from: "8thumpers"I'm looking at gt4 205 calipers and discs on the front - some modification is required and 17" rims probably for clearance.

Why not go with one of the TFSi engines? More power out of a smaller more compact engine, the 4.2 V8 is getting on a bit now and its only NA whereas if you went with a 2.0 TFSi engine or perhaps the 3.0 TFSi V6 it might be a more tunable option.
I nearly bought a v6 tfsi and it is indeed a great engine. The problem is that you can't get an aftermarket ecu to work with it because of all the interaction with the gearbox and the supercharger setup. At least you couldn't a couple of years ago... Also 4grand against 1grand for a v8  

m1tch

Quote from: "8thumpers"
Quote from: "m1tch"

I nearly bought a v6 tfsi and it is indeed a great engine. The problem is that you can't get an aftermarket ecu to work with it because of all the interaction with the gearbox and the supercharger setup. At least you couldn't a couple of years ago... Also 4grand against 1grand for a v8  

Shame you didn't keep it Japanese and get a 1UZ-FE, the LS400s are well under a grand to buy now.

freakyparts

Quote from: "Essex2Visuvesi"Freakyparts do a kit for the fronts it's about 800 quid though

Heeey!! It's only £599.00  s:D :D s:D
Complete bolt on kit without any modification, and lightweight aluminium calipers unlike the ST205 boat anchors  s:) :) s:)
 m http://www.freakyparts.co.uk/epages/es1 ... k3_Wilwood m

8thumpers

That isn't bad money really. When you take into account the lack of engineering required.
Any idea on minimum wheel size?

cptspaulding

Quote from: "8thumpers"That isn't bad money really. When you take into account the lack of engineering required.
Any idea on minimum wheel size?

16" IIRC
Former owner 2003, 2zz conversion.

Essex2Visuvesi

Quote from: "freakyparts"

Heeey!! It's only £599.00  s:D :D s:D
Complete bolt on kit without any modification, and lightweight aluminium calipers unlike the ST205 boat anchors  s:) :) s:)
 m http://www.freakyparts.co.uk/epages/es1 ... k3_Wilwood m

Apologies.... I was looking at the rears   s:oops: :oops: s:oops:

The rears are 769 + Postage

Tags: