2zz project

Started by keljon, June 27, 2017, 14:36

keljon

been a member on here for a while and had previously had a DIY turbo build i parted out because it was burning oil badly and failing emissions
i replaced it with this

[attachment=1:2pqe3p9t] ia1 3CE8653D-8F88-43E7-8171-AE1053E3D124 (1).jpg ia1 [/attachment:2pqe3p9t]

fireblade engined Mk Indy on r888's, cosworth LSD, Wilwood 4 pots, Digital dash with lap timer etc
performance is brisk to say the least but its a bit much for the road, you never feel like your even close to the limits and my original plan was to tow it to track but when i ordered my daily driver (leased) i didn't tick the tow bar prep option (which involves cutting the bumper) so i cant fit a tow bar until that car is replaced (18 months)
so the original plan to do some track days is not really possible as the nearest track is at least 2 hours away
so time for another change of plan

[attachment=0:2pqe3p9t] ia0 IMG_2162 (1).jpg ia0 [/attachment:2pqe3p9t]
bought this off ebay blind, its filthy has no mot and the paint needs some love but......... it has a 2zz with 6 speed corolla box and Celica ECU
all the usual mr2 suspects (handbrake, subframe, steering UJ) seem to be ok (i was prepared for the worst) so just need to clean it up, sort an exhaust (more on that in a bit) get an MOT and should be track ready
mr2 2zz with T-Sport gearbox and 8200rpm Celica ECU, DIY lightweight exhaust, K&N Typhoon induction, MiesterR coilovers, Rear Strut Brace, Underbody brace, EBC Yellow stuff and braided hoses all round, Rota slipstream 16x7 6kg a corner, Lightweight optima battery, spare wheel, tools, radio & aerial removal. Wifi ODB2 reader with dash command app for iPhone

keljon

so the exhaust............some of you may have seen this "race side exit system" on FB
mr2 2zz with T-Sport gearbox and 8200rpm Celica ECU, DIY lightweight exhaust, K&N Typhoon induction, MiesterR coilovers, Rear Strut Brace, Underbody brace, EBC Yellow stuff and braided hoses all round, Rota slipstream 16x7 6kg a corner, Lightweight optima battery, spare wheel, tools, radio & aerial removal. Wifi ODB2 reader with dash command app for iPhone

JasonSparks

So... you're keeping the 'unique' exhaust then...?

keljon

Quote from: "JasonSparks"So... you're keeping the 'unique' exhaust then...?
difficult decision as it clearly looks like a design that would flow very well but its a tad loud for me so not much use on strict track days

Essex2Visuvesi

Quote from: "keljon"IMG_2162 (1).jpg
bought this off ebay blind, its filthy has no mot and the paint needs some love but......... it has a 2zz with 6 speed corolla box and Celica ECU
all the usual mr2 suspects (handbrake, subframe, steering UJ) seem to be ok (i was prepared for the worst) so just need to clean it up, sort an exhaust (more on that in a bit) get an MOT and should be track ready

I went to look at this car... I thought there was some idle/running issues with it as well as the general filth

keljon

Quote from: "Essex2Visuvesi"
Quote from: "keljon"IMG_2162 (1).jpg

I went to look at this car... I thought there was some idle/running issues with it as well as the general filth

indeed i think the motor is sound but it only has 1 o2 sensor fitted and the plug wells are full of brown water, that combined with 3 year old petrol and im surprised it runs at all

KRAMSNEHPETS

One of my "customers" had this car at his garage for some time trying to wire the ECU up. from what I saw and heard is that he made a pigs ear of it, ie not running right. Think the owner had it towed away and I know was also looking for a new engine loom.
2004 Red edition. 2ZZ engine with Rotrex 30 94 supercharger,90mm pulley. Link Storm ECU. Charge cooler. Custom Meggalian exhaust.Uprated fuel pump, regulator and rail.840 injectors.323 BHP at the hubs. Meistier coil overs. Matt under body brace. Front and rear, upper and lower braces,list goes on...

keljon

Quote from: "KRAMSNEHPETS"One of my "customers" had this car at his garage for some time trying to wire the ECU up. from what I saw and heard is that he made a pigs ear of it, ie not running right. Think the owner had it towed away and I know was also looking for a new engine loom.

That's useful info, thanks
Might explain why it's been stood as there is an invoice for the engine swap and then it seems to have been stood for some time

KRAMSNEHPETS

I would take it straight to headcase who would sort it out. I saw the car before I did my 2zz swap,i had all the info for the ecu wiring and throttle position swop etc. did say to him that it looked fairly straight forward but it was there a long time with the owner getting fed  up with how ling it was taking. I can still see all the wires every where looking into the car!
2004 Red edition. 2ZZ engine with Rotrex 30 94 supercharger,90mm pulley. Link Storm ECU. Charge cooler. Custom Meggalian exhaust.Uprated fuel pump, regulator and rail.840 injectors.323 BHP at the hubs. Meistier coil overs. Matt under body brace. Front and rear, upper and lower braces,list goes on...

JoeCool

Th world needs as many Black 2ZZ MR2's as possible, so I applaud this project.
2ZZ '02 Roadster

keljon

Quote from: "KRAMSNEHPETS"I would take it straight to headcase who would sort it out. I saw the car before I did my 2zz swap,i had all the info for the ecu wiring and throttle position swop etc. did say to him that it looked fairly straight forward but it was there a long time with the owner getting fed  up with how ling it was taking. I can still see all the wires every where looking into the car!

I spoke to the seller earlier and apparently the engine loom was replaced after the situation above so hopefully it won't be that but I have read through the swap guides and looks straight forward so I may check all the wiring anyway to be sure

keljon

drained the petrol and checked the pick up filter and inside of the tank, petrol was a very dark colour so must have been in there years, also checked for fault codes and im getting p1690 which i believe is related to the lift solenoid wiring so that may need looking at also.

need to weld a lambda boss in front the standard Cat and then decide what to do about an exhaust before i can run it up and see if i have still have running issues.

keljon

started building an exhaust, standard cat for the moment but will look to swap out for a re-angled celica manifold and sports cat later[attachment=0:1o6fefer] ia0 IMG_2189.jpg ia0 [/attachment:1o6fefer]
[attachment=1:1o6fefer] ia1 IMG_2188.jpg ia1 [/attachment:1o6fefer]
[attachment=2:1o6fefer] ia2 IMG_2186.jpg ia2 [/attachment:1o6fefer]

KRAMSNEHPETS

running ok now?

keljon

not finished the exhaust to properly test it, waiting on gas for the mig

keljon

it runs better with some fresh petrol but still not right, need to clean the MAF and check the coils next

pleased with exhaust, nice and light, quiet at idle, will redo this at some point with a high flow cat and celica manifold
[attachment=1:udtrj41d] ia1 IMG_2192.jpg ia1 [/attachment:udtrj41d]

plugs were a right state from water sitting in the holes
[attachment=0:udtrj41d] ia0 IMG_2193.jpg ia0 [/attachment:udtrj41d]

keljon

Cleaned the maf, well actually replaced it as had a good spare and the o-ring was damaged on the original. Runs perfect now so just need to look at the wiring for the lift solenoid

jonty

Good job, don't think I've ever seen plugs in such a state!

manos3003

Good job on the TLC bit, have you checked both OCVs for signs of filth? Worth a compression test now that you've sorted your ignition troubles
I can't recall a day when I drove my MR2 and it didn't put a smile on my face
<strike>2000 Spectra Blue Mica - 2ZZ-GE gone, but not forgotten</strike>
2002 Spectra Blue Mica K20A2 coming up

keljon

Quote from: "manos3003"Good job on the TLC bit, have you checked both OCVs for signs of filth? Worth a compression test now that you've sorted your ignition troubles

good shout, i have some new plugs on the way, so will replace them, do an oil change, compression test and clean the OCV strainers

manos3003

Quote from: "keljon"good shout, i have some new plugs on the way, so will replace them, do an oil change, compression test and clean the OCV strainers

Which plugs did you get? For us 2zz chaps I'd recommend BKR6E-11 from NGK, change them every 5k with the oil and filter and MAF cleaning. Service on this car is almost like a ritual. Do it right, you get rewarded  s:) :) s:)

keljon

Quote from: "manos3003"
Quote from: "keljon"good shout, i have some new plugs on the way, so will replace them, do an oil change, compression test and clean the OCV strainers

Which plugs did you get? For us 2zz chaps I'd recommend BKR6E-11 from NGK, change them every 5k with the oil and filter and MAF cleaning. Service on this car is almost like a ritual. Do it right, you get rewarded  s:) :) s:)

yeah those plugs are what i ordered, used to have the same routine with my mk2 mr2 turbo's copper plugs and change them every service

manos3003

Quote from: "keljon"yeah those plugs are what i ordered, used to have the same routine with my mk2 mr2 turbo's copper plugs and change them every service

Copper produces a better spark, being a more conductive material. It's ok if you have to change every 5k, I've now got to where I can do a service routine on my car within 20-30 minutes altogether.

m1tch

Looks a great exhaust, how loud is it? Wanting to simplify my exhaust system at some point and remove the TTE twins.

keljon

Quote from: "m1tch"Looks a great exhaust, how loud is it? Wanting to simplify my exhaust system at some point and remove the TTE twins.
i haven't driven it in anger yet but its fairly quiet at idle but of course i am running the stock cat at the moment

Tags: