2zz project

Started by keljon, June 27, 2017, 14:36

MilesH

Quote from: "keljon"drained the petrol and checked the pick up filter and inside of the tank, petrol was a very dark colour so must have been in there years, also checked for fault codes and I'm getting p1690 which i believe is related to the lift solenoid wiring so that may need looking at also.

need to weld a lambda boss in front the standard Cat and then decide what to do about an exhaust before i can run it up and see if i have still have running issues.

I had the same code (P1690) on a previous 2zz. Decided to start with the cheap options first and cleaned the OCV and all sorted  s:) :) s:)  Hope yours is as simple.

keljon

Quote from: "MilesH"
Quote from: "keljon"drained the petrol and checked the pick up filter and inside of the tank, petrol was a very dark colour so must have been in there years, also checked for fault codes and I'm getting p1690 which i believe is related to the lift solenoid wiring so that may need looking at also.

need to weld a lambda boss in front the standard Cat and then decide what to do about an exhaust before i can run it up and see if i have still have running issues.

I had the same code (P1690) on a previous 2zz. Decided to start with the cheap options first and cleaned the OCV and all sorted  s:) :) s:)  Hope yours is as simple.

i was presuming its a wiring fault as sounds like this car has had some wiring issues in the past but i will check and clean the OCV's as a precaution.

So your code was caused by the valves seeing low pressure because the filter screens were blocked?
mr2 2zz with T-Sport gearbox and 8200rpm Celica ECU, DIY lightweight exhaust, K&N Typhoon induction, MiesterR coilovers, Rear Strut Brace, Underbody brace, EBC Yellow stuff and braided hoses all round, Rota slipstream 16x7 6kg a corner, Lightweight optima battery, spare wheel, tools, radio & aerial removal. Wifi ODB2 reader with dash command app for iPhone

MilesH

Quote from: "keljon"
Quote from: "MilesH"

i was presuming its a wiring fault as sounds like this car has had some wiring issues in the past but i will check and clean the OCV's as a precaution.

So your code was caused by the valves seeing low pressure because the filter screens were blocked?

Yes, I had an intermittant lose of lift when driving and it took a few drives before it showed the code.

manos3003

Quote from: "MilesH"Yes, I had an intermittant lose of lift when driving and it took a few drives before it showed the code.

The OCVs and the wiring were the first thing I checked when I rebuilt my engine  s:) :) s:)
I can't recall a day when I drove my MR2 and it didn't put a smile on my face
<strike>2000 Spectra Blue Mica - 2ZZ-GE gone, but not forgotten</strike>
2002 Spectra Blue Mica K20A2 coming up

keljon

so the wiring was def wrong, everything was in the right position but one of the lift solenoid wires was grounded
[attachment=2:32os4y4q] ia2 IMG_2223.jpg ia2 [/attachment:32os4y4q]
check light gone  s:) :) s:)
[attachment=1:32os4y4q] ia1 IMG_2225.jpg ia1 [/attachment:32os4y4q]

no faults found  s:) :) s:)
[attachment=0:32os4y4q] ia0 IMG_2224.jpg ia0 [/attachment:32os4y4q]
mr2 2zz with T-Sport gearbox and 8200rpm Celica ECU, DIY lightweight exhaust, K&N Typhoon induction, MiesterR coilovers, Rear Strut Brace, Underbody brace, EBC Yellow stuff and braided hoses all round, Rota slipstream 16x7 6kg a corner, Lightweight optima battery, spare wheel, tools, radio & aerial removal. Wifi ODB2 reader with dash command app for iPhone

manos3003

Sweet!   s:bounce: :bounce: s:bounce:

KRAMSNEHPETS

Did say that that I think someone lashed it up!
2004 Red edition. 2ZZ engine with Rotrex 30 94 supercharger,90mm pulley. Link Storm ECU. Charge cooler. Custom Meggalian exhaust.Uprated fuel pump, regulator and rail.840 injectors.323 BHP at the hubs. Meistier coil overs. Matt under body brace. Front and rear, upper and lower braces,list goes on...

keljon

Getting it ready for MOT so o/s/r caliper is binding, removed from car and disassembled, already had a seal kit but have ordered a new piston, mtech grooved and dimpled discs with black protective coating, yellow stuff pads, braided hoses (thanks Matt lee for the hoses) will do a full fluid flush with normal fluid for the moment but when it's been mot'd I will rebuild the front brakes and then swap to race fluid

Essex2Visuvesi

Damm
Thats some dangerous looking wiring!   s:shock: :shock: s:shock:  
I'm guessing it looks better than that now

manos3003

Quote from: "keljon"Getting it ready for MOT so o/s/r caliper is binding, removed from car and disassembled, already had a seal kit but have ordered a new piston, mtech grooved and dimpled discs with black protective coating, yellow stuff pads, braided hoses (thanks Matt lee for the hoses) will do a full fluid flush with normal fluid for the moment but when it's been mot'd I will rebuild the front brakes and then swap to race fluid

Don't forget to keep the old piston, you'll need to transfer the insert to the new piston so it can screw on the adjuster stud. Learn from my mistakes   s:oops: :oops: s:oops:

keljon

Quote from: "Essex2Visuvesi"Damm
Thats some dangerous looking wiring!   s:shock: :shock: s:shock:  
I'm guessing it looks better than that now
In fairness it was taped up but yes it's a much better job now

keljon

Quote from: "manos3003"
Quote from: "keljon"Getting it ready for MOT so o/s/r caliper is binding, removed from car and disassembled, already had a seal kit but have ordered a new piston, mtech grooved and dimpled discs with black protective coating, yellow stuff pads, braided hoses (thanks Matt lee for the hoses) will do a full fluid flush with normal fluid for the moment but when it's been mot'd I will rebuild the front brakes and then swap to race fluid

Don't forget to keep the old piston, you'll need to transfer the insert to the new piston so it can screw on the adjuster stud. Learn from my mistakes   s:oops: :oops: s:oops:

I bought the pistons with the internals included as only a few pounds more

manos3003

Quote from: "keljon"I bought the pistons with the internals included as only a few pounds more

Where did you get them from if you don't mind me asking?

Essex2Visuvesi

Sorry having lost a previous car in a fire due to a previous owners bad wiring job, I'm a little sensitive to aftermarket wiring

keljon

Quote from: "Essex2Visuvesi"Sorry having lost a previous car in a fire due to a previous owners bad wiring job, I'm a little sensitive to aftermarket wiring

No I totally agree, have seen some really shocking wiring on cars and bikes over the years.

keljon

Quote from: "keljon"I bought the pistons with the internals included as only a few pounds more

Where did you get them from if you don't mind me asking?
Bigg red, think it's a new thing
 m https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/272672813628 m

keljon

Have these waiting go go on as well
[attachment=0:21nso55s] ia0 IMG_2185.JPG ia0 [/attachment:21nso55s]

keljon

managed to pick this up as well from the FB group, its already modified to suit an mr2
[attachment=0:3cyllg70] ia0 19961498_10155419667284223_4343448065283211496_n.jpg ia0 [/attachment:3cyllg70][attachment=1:3cyllg70] ia1 19961445_10155419667214223_1938966259961609806_n.jpg ia1 [/attachment:3cyllg70]

keljon

did a bit more work over the weekend, almost ready for MOT now, just waiting on disks & pads from mtec http://www.mtecbrakes.com

O/S Rear calliper rebuilt with new seals and piston, gave it a couple coats of red smoothrite to smarten it up
[attachment=1:1kiu004e] ia1 IMG_2235 (2).jpg ia1 [/attachment:1kiu004e]
some goodies arrived, going to wayoyl inside the crossmember to try and kill the rot
[attachment=0:1kiu004e] ia0 IMG_2238 (2).jpg ia0 [/attachment:1kiu004e]

keljon

manky plugs in the bin
[attachment=2:3c0e4tei] ia2 IMG_2237 (2).jpg ia2 [/attachment:3c0e4tei]
compression test was all good, all around 225, as far as i can tell from the donors history this engine has done 60k
[attachment=1:3c0e4tei] ia1 IMG_2234 (2).jpg ia1 [/attachment:3c0e4tei]
small thing thats been bugging me since i got the car, the coil wiring was loose so cut down the plastic box so it fits the 2zz
[attachment=0:3c0e4tei] ia0 IMG_2236 (2).jpg ia0 [/attachment:3c0e4tei]

manos3003

Was the compression test done with a hot or a cold engine? Planning on doing a leak test as well?

keljon

Cold engine, don't like pulling the plugs out of a hot engine. No reason to do a leak down test as it's running well.

manos3003

Quote from: "keljon"Cold engine, don't like pulling the plugs out of a hot engine. No reason to do a leak down test as it's running well.

There's a difference between hot and cold compression test, mainly due to the fact that a hot engine is running properly with all gaps minimised due to thermal expansion and can be more representative of real driving conditions.

There's also chances a leak-down test might give you an indication something's amiss, whereas the compression test at the same time comes clean. It's possible. If your engine is running ok, then no need for one as you said, but it's good to keep these little things in mind.

Nonetheless, good numbers. Did you do a couple of quick oil changes to clean all the muck from the engine?

keljon

I'm not keen on pulling plugs from an aluminium head when it's hot.
Hot or cold aside, the main thing to look for is that all cylinders have similar readings

If I was troubleshooting I might do a leak down test but I only really did a compression test out of curiosity because I was swapping plugs.

No oil changes yet but have the oil ready

Quote from: "keljon"Cold engine, don't like pulling the plugs out of a hot engine. No reason to do a leak down test as it's running well.

There's a difference between hot and cold compression test, mainly due to the fact that a hot engine is running properly with all gaps minimised due to thermal expansion and can be more representative of real driving conditions.

There's also chances a leak-down test might give you an indication something's amiss, whereas the compression test at the same time comes clean. It's possible. If your engine is running ok, then no need for one as you said, but it's good to keep these little things in mind.

Nonetheless, good numbers. Did you do a couple of quick oil changes to clean all the muck from the engine?

keljon

Some more parts arrived today so gave the hub and suspension arms a wire brush followed by some rust treatment then black smoothrite.  Rebuilt caliper back on with HEL braided hose, mtech dimpled and grooved disk and yellow stuff pads.
[attachment=0:iyua2mfd] ia0 33EEC72F-5C57-4E58-87EC-40B3249B4146.JPG ia0 [/attachment:iyua2mfd]

Tags: