Car lifts...

Started by 8thumpers, July 5, 2017, 22:31

8thumpers

Does anyone have a whole car lift they use? I.E. two.post lift/scissor lift/4 post lift.
I am thinking if buying one and looking at pros and cons....

mulaz

I Have a full car lift thats cheap and not on your list https://www.facebook.com/MR1carlift/
i bought the plans and managed to build mine up for around £350 Inc 2ton trolley jack but i did get some of the steelwork for free
Slowly replacing all the old parts for new parts so that one day i will end up with a brand new car !   s]

mulaz

Mr1 car lift
Slowly replacing all the old parts for new parts so that one day i will end up with a brand new car !   s]

Carolyn

We have a four poster, with a ratcheted frame that also allows you to support the car on the chassis, if you want the weight off the wheels.  A two-poster is nicer to use, but  a used one will usually have some problems with the lift nuts (unless you pay a lot).
Even in our workshop, we only have roof clearance to get the bottom of the car about 1 mtr in the air, so we can't stand up underneath it....  
Unless you have a very high ceiling, (and if you have space) you might want to put your lift outside, except that it's crap in winter....
Then there's the matter of working space around the lift...
You'll be a rare and lucky person if you have a structure that can accommodate either a two or four poster (like an old barn), with a high enough clearance to get the lift all the way up.
We looked at a scissor lift, and decided that the restriction on clear working space under the centre of the car was a big issue.  Still, it's a less expensive alternative and better than no lift..
On balance, we're really glad we've got one.
Perry Byrnes Memorial Award 2016, 2018.  Love this club. 
https://www.mr2roc.org/forum/index.php?topic=63866.0

8thumpers

Great idea Mulaz - I can see the appeal in limited space garage.
I need one that I can lift high enough to drop the engine out of the back and get good underneath access.
Good advice Carolyn  - I did think ahead when I designed the new garage so the ceiling is 3.8m clear inside. That should be enough to lift the roadster right up, or at least a good deal of the way. My big issue with 2 post is that the posts would be in the way when I want to use the garage conventionally. It is 5.5m wide but the door is only 3m wide.... some of the platform lifts do look apealing as you can move them out of the way.....
Tricky decision!!

Tags: