Hardtop Doesn't Fit Chrome Mounts

Started by Sian, July 6, 2017, 20:16

Sian

Hi all,

I got a hardtop at the weekend but it doesn't fit quite right into the chrome latches at the back. I can have one side slotted in correctly but then the opposite side won't fit in. Hard to describe so took some photos. It's like the hardtop is too wide for the brackets.

You can also see that because of this there is a gap of about 3mm between the rubber seal on the hardtop and the metal top of the car.

[attachment=2:mbth7av1] ia2 20170706_194649.jpg ia2 [/attachment:mbth7av1]

[attachment=1:mbth7av1] ia1 20170706_195045.jpg ia1 [/attachment:mbth7av1]

[attachment=0:mbth7av1] ia0 20170706_194617.jpg ia0 [/attachment:mbth7av1]

I'm also getting a clunk sound if I go over a speed bump or pot hole, which I'm guessing is something to do with this. I never noticed the clunking before the hardtop was fitted but I had only ever driven it for a few hours before that so may have just not noticed. These seems unlikely though as the noise is quite loud.

We've undone all the bolts and latches several times. We've loosened the chrome brackets on both sides and tried to slot both in before tightening but that doesn't work as there really isn't much wiggle room on the chrome bolts.

I'm getting worried that I've now ended up stuck with a duff hardtop. I can solve the gap with a bit of thick tape so that doesn't really bother me. But the clunking is very worrying, as well as knowing that the roof isn't fitted correctly...!

Help!

m1tch

Loosen the side bracket bolts on the inside with all the latches undone, settle the hard top on the car, latch in the windscreen latches, then tighten the side bracket bolts when it's all in place.

Sian

Thank you for the reply m1tch. Which issue is that likely to fix? My main concern is the the clips don't seem to fit in the chrome brackets correctly. I've unclipped everything, taken hardtop off, then whilst putting it on (before doing up any inside latches) tried to get the clips on both sides into the chrome holes but I just can't seem to have both in at the same time. One goes in but then the other is too far over to get in the hole properly.

Call the midlife!

Quote from: "tiff272"Thank you for the reply m1tch. Which issue is that likely to fix? My main concern is the the clips don't seem to fit in the chrome brackets correctly. I've unclipped everything, taken hardtop off, then whilst putting it on (before doing up any inside latches) tried to get the clips on both sides into the chrome holes but I just can't seem to have both in at the same time. One goes in but then the other is too far over to get in the hole properly.
I've no experience of the hardtops whatsoever so this is pure brainstorming but are the clips handed? That is do they fit left and right and if so could they be the wrong way round? It's me sounding stoopid, not trying to make you seem it..[emoji1303]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
60% of the time it works everytime...

wotugonado

Difficult to tell 100% from pictures but it looks like you/previous owner may have bent the clip on the hard top.  Looks a little squashed out of alignment in the picture. If the clip is plastic heat it carefully with a hairdryer and try to straighten it up.
---------------Tte turbo----------------
      Graced the tarmac from 2014-2019

tricky1138

Quote from: "Call the midlife!"
Quote from: "tiff272"Thank you for the reply m1tch. Which issue is that likely to fix? My main concern is the the clips don't seem to fit in the chrome brackets correctly. I've unclipped everything, taken hardtop off, then whilst putting it on (before doing up any inside latches) tried to get the clips on both sides into the chrome holes but I just can't seem to have both in at the same time. One goes in but then the other is too far over to get in the hole properly.
I've no experience of the hardtops whatsoever so this is pure brainstorming but are the clips handed? That is do they fit left and right and if so could they be the wrong way round? It's me sounding stoopid, not trying to make you seem it..[emoji1303]

Yes the chrome clips are handed.  Swap them round and see if that helps.
2004 FL, Black, Matt Brace, Team Dynamics Monza R, Tein Springs, TTE Exhaust, heated black leather seats, black leather armrest,  Zunsport grills, Midship front badge,  TRD spoiler, Halo DRLs with LED fogs, large clear wind defector, Krissg kick panels,  small mongos.

Call the midlife!

Quote from: "wotugonado"Difficult to tell 100% from pictures but it looks like you/previous owner may have bent the clip on the hard top.  Looks a little squashed out of alignment in the picture. If the clip is plastic heat it carefully with a hairdryer and try to straighten it up.
The first picture? Left side of clip? I thought that, like it's had a knock maybe, then again I also thought it looked like a reflection of a tree![emoji23]

Sian

Quote from: "tricky1138"

Yes the chrome clips are handed.  Swap them round and see if that helps.

Thank you both. I'm pretty sure they are the right way round but it's something to check. I kinda hope that is all that's wrong cause it sounds an easy fix!

Sian

Quote from: "wotugonado"Difficult to tell 100% from pictures but it looks like you/previous owner may have bent the clip on the hard top.  Looks a little squashed out of alignment in the picture. If the clip is plastic heat it carefully with a hairdryer and try to straighten it up.
The first picture? Left side of clip? I thought that, like it's had a knock maybe, then again I also thought it looked like a reflection of a tree![emoji23]

Is the clip bit on the hardtop just plastic then? I'd assumed it was metal covered in plastic. Trying to bend it with a hairdryer might work. I'd also considered maybe filling down the bit that can't get under the latch but assumed there's probably metal under there somewhere. Plus seemed a little extreme before seeing if any of you had any ideas.

wotugonado

I'm not sure what it is made of tbh but it looks out of shape, it should be flat with the bottom edge of the hard top yours looks bent downwards. I just clicked on image 3 and zoomed in and it looks like there's a hairline crack in the bulge bit that houses the clip, of cause it could just be a reflection. Call the midlife also thought it looks damaged or like a tree   s:) :) s:)   so don't take our word for it.
---------------Tte turbo----------------
      Graced the tarmac from 2014-2019

Sian

Quote from: "wotugonado"I'm not sure what it is made of tbh but it looks out of shape, it should be flat with the bottom edge of the hard top yours looks bent downwards. I just clicked on image 3 and zoomed in and it looks like there's a hairline crack in the bulge bit that houses the clip, of cause it could just be a reflection. Call the midlife also thought it looks damaged or like a tree   s:) :) s:)   so don't take our word for it.

Ah yes it does look cracked and damaged doesn't it. Like someone's dropped it on its sticky out bits whilst taking on or off. I hadn't noticed in person, only by zooming in a lot on the photos. Hmm I'm guessing that's unfixable. God knows what I'm going to do with it then. Do you think I need to be on the lookout for a new hardtop? How important are the back clips? All 4 internal latches are secure. It doesn't seem like the roof is going anywhere but then if it's making a clunk sound going over bumps that's probably not a good sign.

Call the midlife!

Don't get too despondent Tiff, my money is still on the handing, zooming in on the pics they just look like they'd be more comfortable the other way round. And again, I know nothing about the hardtops but I would have thought damage caused by rough handling/accident that was serious enough to stop it fitting properly would've been evident prior to fitting on the car so I'd try a bit more fettling before you start thinking you've been sold a pup. I'm sure someone with experience will be happy to cast an eye over it for you.

Sian

Quote from: "Call the midlife!"Don't get too despondent Tiff, my money is still on the handing, zooming in on the pics they just look like they'd be more comfortable the other way round. And again, I know nothing about the hardtops but I would have thought damage caused by rough handling/accident that was serious enough to stop it fitting properly would've been evident prior to fitting on the car so I'd try a bit more fettling before you start thinking you've been sold a pup. I'm sure someone with experience will be happy to cast an eye over it for you.

I don't think it's been in an actual accident. Probably a slight drop that's unknowingly damaged it. I bought it off a member and don't for one second think it was sold to me with known issues. I just really want to be sure the hardtop is secure and not clunking all the time (in a dangerous fashion, the noise itself doesn't bother me). Due to where it's kept it will be hardtop 24/7 all year round unfortunately so I want to be sure everything is ok with it. I will keep messing trying to make something work.  Fortunately with the good weather I'm not too concerned about the gap for now. It's just good to hear other people's ideas and suggestions. So far all stuff I would have never thought of or noticed!

Call the midlife!

Quote from: "tiff272"
Quote from: "Call the midlife!"Don't get too despondent Tiff, my money is still on the handing, zooming in on the pics they just look like they'd be more comfortable the other way round. And again, I know nothing about the hardtops but I would have thought damage caused by rough handling/accident that was serious enough to stop it fitting properly would've been evident prior to fitting on the car so I'd try a bit more fettling before you start thinking you've been sold a pup. I'm sure someone with experience will be happy to cast an eye over it for you.

I don't think it's been in an actual accident. Probably a slight drop that's unknowingly damaged it. I bought it off a member and don't for one second think it was sold to me with known issues. I just really want to be sure the hardtop is secure and not clunking all the time (in a dangerous fashion, the noise itself doesn't bother me). Due to where it's kept it will be hardtop 24/7 all year round unfortunately so I want to be sure everything is ok with it. I will keep messing trying to make something work.  Fortunately with the good weather I'm not too concerned about the gap for now. It's just good to hear other people's ideas and suggestions. So far all stuff I would have never thought of or noticed!
Yeah sorry, reading back I didn't express myself very well there re the "damage" long day and I should  be in bed already at my age!

Sian

Yes I need bed too I think or I'm just going to worry & obsess about it!

ilovejapcrap

It looks like they are on wrong sides on pictures !

andyroo104

+1 on the above.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk
MAF-What a difference a spray makes!!!!!!!!!!!

Sian

Ok great, that's a relief. Thank you everyone! Is there a way to be sure before dismantling everything? I've looked for photos of the brackets on other MR2s but can't find any.

tricky1138

Remembered to take photo's this morning.

Drivers side

Passenger side

Basically the slots should run parallel to the side of the car.
2004 FL, Black, Matt Brace, Team Dynamics Monza R, Tein Springs, TTE Exhaust, heated black leather seats, black leather armrest,  Zunsport grills, Midship front badge,  TRD spoiler, Halo DRLs with LED fogs, large clear wind defector, Krissg kick panels,  small mongos.

Sian

Thank you tricky, that's so helpful.  Unfortunately that's exactly what mine look like haha They're parallel to the car.  If I were to swap them over they'd end up pointing inwards / outwards.  Just in case there's any confusion all the photos I've take are of the driver side mount. Damn, that sounded like such an easy fix!

Hmm I guess back to the idea that the clip on the hardtop is bent / crooked. I will have to see if I can bend it back into shape somehow.

carolineasb

Is there no-one near you with a hard top that could look at it for you? Also, just looking at the other car's set up may show you what's wrong?
2006 (56) Blue TF300 (Newbie)<br />2001 (Y)  Silver (Oldie)
2004 (04) Black (The Inbetweenie)

Sian

Quote from: "carolineasb"Is there no-one near you with a hard top that could look at it for you? Also, just looking at the other car's set up may show you what's wrong?

That would probably be the best idea but I've yet to find anyone in my area, let alone with a hardtop! If I can't sort it myself next weekend I will put a call out for any Staffordshire owners and keep my fingers crossed!

JoeCool

The Chrome clips look to be the correct way around to me - they are handed enough that I don't believe you can actually fit them the wrong way around, the chome base doesn't fit up to the space for them the 'wrong' way around. Double check this however.

I'd re-do from start.

Pull the roof off the car, put it upside down somewhere soft and check the condition of the hooks at the rear end of it. They've very robust feeling and plastic covered metal IIRC, but I suppose it's possible one has been bent some how.

Then pull the side trim plastics out (Easy, just pull the door sill trims off first) to access the side bracket (striker plate) bolts. Check that the tapered bolt is the top one, and loosen them off so that the bracket can move about a bit but doesn't flop about. Then with the help of a friend, put the roof back on, locate it in the rear chrome hooks first, then sit it onto the car and check the striker plates mate up properly with the brackets. The handles should assist in locating the striker plates. Then, when it's all on properly, you can tighten up the bolts - then remove the roof again to replace all the plastic trim.

Oh yeah, do this on the flat!! Do it on uneven ground and there's no doubt it puts a bit of a twist on things! (I have a very steep spiral drop in a work car park that pops on of the side clips from time to time!)

they are a bit awkward to fit, they take a bit of tweeking to fit correctly but once it's done they should lift on and off just fine.
2ZZ '02 Roadster

Sian

Quote from: "JoeCool"Then with the help of a friend, put the roof back on, locate it in the rear chrome hooks first

We've done all that, the issue is lining up the roof with the chrome hooks. It's just not possible to have both sides clipped in at the same time. If you get one in, the other can't. So then you try and get the opposite one in and that fits, but then the other can't go in. If that makes sense. The roof just will not fit in both chrome brackets at once.

I'm guessing it's unlikely to be an issue with the chrome brackets so it must be an issue with the clips on the roof. That's literally all I can think of. But I'm not entirely sure how I'd rectify that. I'm not the most handy of people!

JoeCool

Quote from: "tiff272"
Quote from: "JoeCool"Then with the help of a friend, put the roof back on, locate it in the rear chrome hooks first

We've done all that, the issue is lining up the roof with the chrome hooks. It's just not possible to have both sides clipped in at the same time. If you get one in, the other can't. So then you try and get the opposite one in and that fits, but then the other can't go in. If that makes sense. The roof just will not fit in both chrome brackets at once.

I'm guessing it's unlikely to be an issue with the chrome brackets so it must be an issue with the clips on the roof. That's literally all I can think of. But I'm not entirely sure how I'd rectify that. I'm not the most handy of people!
Ok, that sounds highly annoying/odd!! I've jsut been out and double checked on my car and the first images you posted, the chrome clips look to be the correct way around. I can't see the second set of images because photobucket isn't showing them for some reason.

My thouhgts were just that the side striker plates, by your shoulders could be holding the roof in the wrong place if incorrectly placed, so they might need adjusting. If you've tried that then it's down to the roof hooks not being damaged or something else being out of alignment.

I'm a bit far away but no doubt someone local will be able to help you out.
2ZZ '02 Roadster

Tags: