17 inch wheels

Started by alancdavis, February 10, 2005, 20:48

alancdavis

I know there is a search forum but I cant find what I want   question is will 17 X 7 wheels  with 205/40/17 on the front and  17 x 7 with 215/40/17 tyres on the rear fit my 2001 roadster
I am worried that as the car now has 15  6 front amd 15 x 6.5 rears that the wider wheels will catch or rub against some part of the car
The wheels I am considering have a 40mm ofset      any expert advice from people who have changed to 17ins
Red Calipers with DBA Cross Drilled and Grooved Discs,,,,2005 Red and Black Leather Custom Seats,,,,,TSW,17ins Wheels,,,,,2003 colour coded side vents and rear bumoer inserts,,,,Custom rear bumper skirt,,,TTE Twin Rear Pipes,,,,,,TTE Front Bumper,,,,,Red and Black Steering Wheel,,,,,Blitz Induction Kit,,,,,TTE Style Bar,,,,,Goodridge Stainless Braided Hoses,,,,,,,,,Front and Rear Strut Braces,,,,,,Rear spoiler

Anonymous

best going for 235's on the back.
closer to stock rolling radius with 17" wheels.
only go for 17" if you want them for looks as your performance will suffer and the ride will be harsher but i have not regretted once changing to 17's.

Anonymous

225's are better on the back IIRC, don't think 235's will fit on a 7" wheel...

I've got 205 front/215 rear, and they're fine: I do get slight rubbing if on full lock on a sharp corner and I lift off. If I keep the power on, they're fine. I must admit I've not noticed any performance loss or harsher ride since I changed over, but I know markiii had severe probs when he went from 15 to 17.

markiii

m http://www.mr2roc.org/content/articles/ ... wheels.php m

for everything you need to know see above.

short answer yes they, 225/35/17 is a far better choice than 215/40 for teh rear

think carefully about your reasons fior doing it.

lowering springs are loads cheaper and far more effective than bigger wheels.
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

Anonymous

Quote from: "markiii"lowering springs are loads cheaper and far more effective than bigger wheels.

Or you could do both, like me.   s8) 8) s8)

markiii

you could, however then ask yourself what spring/suspension you are contemplating, TTE/eibacjh will probably be ok, Sportivo is too hard IMHO with 40 or less profile rubber
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

Darth Paul

Do it. 17" look the dog's danglies.  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

Anonymous

Quote from: "ekona"225's are better on the back IIRC, don't think 235's will fit on a 7" wheel...

I've got 205 front/215 rear, and they're fine: I do get slight rubbing if on full lock on a sharp corner and I lift off. If I keep the power on, they're fine. I must admit I've not noticed any performance loss or harsher ride since I changed over, but I know markiii had severe probs when he went from 15 to 17.

what is your offset?

You got to watch the offset too and how low you want to go if lowering at all.
I drove a spyder that had sportivo suspension and 17" x 7" wheels with 40mm offset and 205/40/17f & 215/40/17r and his front tires rubbed without even pushing the car that hard.
the sportivo is not stiff, it is pretty close to stock rather than coilovers.

Anonymous

Just use 16" on the front - I think 17s look too big on the front, OK on the back though. Just my 2p.

markiii

hmm,

sportivo with 42mm offset and teh tyre listed works with no rubbing.

both sportivo and stock stuff are coilovers.

If you can get them Rusty is right, 16" front 17" rear works better.

alancdavis

Thanks for aaaaaall the advice,,,,,next thig is who to buy from and how much should I pay,,,,,,,,,,,,Up to now I have been quoted between £1200 down to £399,,,,,,,,,,I woulc hope to be able to buy for around £500 or am I being a skinflint ?????
Red Calipers with DBA Cross Drilled and Grooved Discs,,,,2005 Red and Black Leather Custom Seats,,,,,TSW,17ins Wheels,,,,,2003 colour coded side vents and rear bumoer inserts,,,,Custom rear bumper skirt,,,TTE Twin Rear Pipes,,,,,,TTE Front Bumper,,,,,Red and Black Steering Wheel,,,,,Blitz Induction Kit,,,,,TTE Style Bar,,,,,Goodridge Stainless Braided Hoses,,,,,,,,,Front and Rear Strut Braces,,,,,,Rear spoiler

markiii

from a cost perspective, what is your priority, bling factor or performance.

if your happy just with looks go as cheap as possible to get the look your after.

If you want the best of both worlds you want light weight stuff usually from Japan, like teh Volks, and tehy will cost.

by way of example I bought (don't have them any more) 17" Speedline Torinis, which are resaonable weight but not light, with Goodyear F1s all round for £1200 plus vat from Demon Tweeks.

What I would say is bear in mind that you shouldn't have teh same tyres all round, and a package option will normally asume thats what you are doing.

alancdavis

Halfords do a set at £399  for 17x7 40mm ofset and 205/40 tyres    do you think that is a good deal ???

markiii

it's not bad, but from memory halfords wheels with teh exception of OZ Superleggera are rather heavy, is that a priority?

Ref teh tyres, depends on what they are, but seriosuly you do not want the same size all round. Just ask Ekona how arse happy teh car will become.

all things considered if you are happy with teh weight and style of teh wheels, add on teh price of a set of 225/35/17 rear tyres in teh same model tyre, and if it still seems like a good deal go for it.

Personally I wouldn't but it's your priroty that counts. the tyre size issue though is safety, please take it on board.

alancdavis

thanks 4 all your help,,,,,,,,,,,,,4 me its make your mind up time  s:D :D s:D    s:P :P s:P

Anonymous

Quote from: "markiii"Ref the tyres, depends on what they are, but seriosuly you do not want the same size all round. Just ask Ekona how arse happy the car will become.

Just to re-emphasise Mark's point, I would never drive this car again with same size tyres rear and back. If you think it can be a bit twitchy every now and then if you come on the power too early when exiting a corner, imagine that happening every single time, even on the straights.   s:shock: :shock: s:shock:  

However tempting it might be, please wait until you've got new tyres fitted before you put your new wheels on. Pretty wheels ain't worth driving into a ditch over.

karlus972

I recently bought 17" rims TTE. They are quite light for 17". According to Toyota and TUV in germany, i should have 205-40 front and 225-35 rear.
I also think it's the best compromise.   s8) 8) s8)  
The MR2 from year 2000 have 15" front and rear on stock, and I've never found the drive weird or something   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:
Madinina Style!!

Liz

Hi and welcome!   s:) :) s:)  

Quote from: "karlus972"IThe MR2 from year 2000 have 15" front and rear on stock, and I've never found the drive weird or something   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

Yes, the wheels are the same size but Dan was talking about the tyres not being the same size front and rear.
ex-TTE Turbo, now Freelander Sport, its not a car its a Landrover!

karlus972

Quote from: "Liz"Hi and welcome!   s:) :) s:)  

Quote from: "karlus972"IThe MR2 from year 2000 have 15" front and rear on stock, and I've never found the drive weird or something   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

Yes, the wheels are the same size but Dan was talking about the tyres not being the same size front and rear.

You're right and apologies for the mix-up   s:oops: :oops: s:oops:  
So we're on the same page.
Go for 17" and, if I may go for the Dunlop SP 9000. I've heard a lot's of positive comments about them, and you can get them for quite good prices. They have been strictly tested in Germany, and they are amongst the best ones   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:
Madinina Style!!

alancdavis

Finaly mace my mind up,,,,,,,,,,,,got a set of Razer wheels from Demon Tweeks,,,,,,,,£495,,,,,,,,,,,17 X 7,,,,,,,,,,,,205/40/17 for the front and  215/40/17 for the rear,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,I hpe they dont rub!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Anonymous

Get some pics posted when they arrive matey

Anonymous

On the topic of 17" wheels:

Would 38mm offset be ok ?

I am looking at buying some wolfrace Urban Racers in 17 x 7 (they are 38mm offset) with 205/40/17 at the front and 215/40/17 or 225/35/17 at the back but I dont want any rubbing issues.

thanks

Anonymous

I think I remember reading somewhere (either on here or on SC) that the minumum offset is around 40mm...   s:? :? s:?

markiii

38 is psuhing it

Slacey managed 38mm with 215/40/17 on the back, but it rubs like a bastard when you lower teh car.

Anonymous

Thanks for the responses.

Hmm.... I dont intend to lower the car but I do push it hard (only got 9k out of the last rear Yokohamas) so dont want any issues.

I had a look in the wheel book (Guide) that Wheelbase were using and it does quote the Mr2 ZZW30 as being 38 to 42 offset with 17 inch wheels and they were happy to fit them but then again they would be.

Also went to Dave Sheldon Tyres in Manchester and they also were happy to fit the Wolfrace Urban Racers with 38mm offset, saying they were ok for the Mr2.

Slacey ?? can you shed any light / info.

Did you have problems with a 38mm offset with standard suspension ??

Thanks

Andy

Tags: