Scared of Sliding

Started by Sian, July 23, 2017, 17:48

McMr2

FWIW I had the exact same worries when I got mine. I was convinced something was out of kilter. Same tyres and similar setup (195s on the front), had full geo too. I've put it down to just being the first mid engined car I've had, despite not being the most powerful.

Over time I've adjusted to it and have found it's fine with a light touch in the wet.
2004 Silver. Stock(ish).

smarty72

[quote=" I've had a good nose from above and had the torch out for a closer look. It's quite interesting but I have no way to get under and look at the main bits. Ho hum, trying to find the balance between car spending and house deposit (for somewhere with a garage)   s:lol: :lol: s:lol: [/quote]

Would a 'mirror on a stick' be an option?  You could attempt to view it from above then, let's be honest, your looking for a sizeable hole really in order for it to flex enough to upset the handling.

If it's too dark, shine your torch into the mirror and it will reflect and illuminate the bit you're trying to see.

This may be a daft suggestion, but at the time of writing it makes sense in my head!
current: Astral Black FL

Ex: Forest Green 2003.

Sian

Quote from: "McMr2"FWIW I had the exact same worries when I got mine. I was convinced something was out of kilter. Same tyres and similar setup (195s on the front), had full geo too. I've put it down to just being the first mid engined car I've had, despite not being the most powerful.

Over time I've adjusted to it and have found it's fine with a light touch in the wet.

Thank you, it's a relief to hear I'm not the only one!  I do think it's probably a me issue.  I can tell my confidence (in the dry) has increased a lot in just the past few weeks since I got it, although I have driven it a lot in that time!  I've only been out in the wet twice so maybe it's just a case of needing more practice.

Quote from: "smarty2072"Would a 'mirror on a stick' be an option?  You could attempt to view it from above then, let's be honest, your looking for a sizeable hole really in order for it to flex enough to upset the handling.

Hmm following that principle, I think someone in the office has a selfie stick. I wonder if I can get my phone to record video with the flash on.  I could watch what it records and hope I can see anything.  Although knowing me it seems highly likely I will end up losing my phone in the nappy! Worth a go I suppose. Definitely like the out the box thinking!

Essex2Visuvesi

Highly recommend having one of these in the old toolbox

m http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/272583686046 m

delhusband

Quote from: "Essex2Visuvesi"Highly recommend having one of these in the old toolbox
+1, I bought one for that very reason (checking subframe)
Hate pointy animals

Sian

That's a good idea. I don't have a laptop but it looks like it'd work with a mobile. Will hopefully help diagnosing things without needing to get under. Very clever!

Topdownman

I have been thinking of one of those too as you never have that type of thing when you actually need it!

Just make sure you get a phone one as I think there are different types of connection form my quick searching.

There are plenty of "mirror on a stick" (ooh, I feel like I am typing MX5 there). Just google rolson mirror to see what type of thing is available.
"Racing" tax disc holder (binned), Poundland air freshener, (ran out), Annoying cylinder deficiency,  (sorted),
Winner of the Numb bum award 2017
Readers Ride

06 not V6 readers ride

Sian

Quote from: "Topdownman"Just google rolson mirror to see what type of thing is available.

Thank you for giving me the right word. I probably would have been Googling mirror on a stick for quite a while! I'm trying to decide which idea would be most useful.

HFB

Toyo T1-R's are really soggy sidewalls.

I feel like they handle as if I have a rear puncture!   s:shock: :shock: s:shock:  

HFB
2000 Roadster
Silver (Blue go faster stripe)
2ZZ, Miester Zeta CRD+ Coilovers, Megillian Custom Exhaust & Underbody Brace and 1/2 cage (and working soft top), Patrick Chambers Enclosed air intake and oil cooler, badly re-furbed alloys :D

Call the midlife!

Quote from: "HFB"
Quote from: "tiff272"
Quote from: "Ardent"It will be there somewhere. will be somethnig like 4814
Generally it is the last 2 you are interested in. 4814. Tyre born in the 48th week of 2014.
Which would be ok as that would tell you your tyres are 3 years old. (ish)

I genuinely can't find one. I've just been out with a torch and still can't find it. I know you probably won't be able see in enough detail on this photo but if you could say which area like top right that it should be written in? I googled and it said it should be next to the DOT writing but there's nothing there!

20170723_163247~2.jpg

Is that the offside rear wheel you have taken a pic of there?

If so, the tyre is marked as left and the rotation is the wrong way round!

I'm no expert, but that doesn't look like the front left side wheel judging by the bumper seam and brake caliper position.

If I'm right, your wheels are all on wrong, which would explain the scary feel when driving, cornering.

If I'm wrong.......my bad!   s:oops: :oops: s:oops:  

HFB
I thought that too but convinced myself that it was the nearside front, never thought about the caliper position, good spot if that's the case as I kept my gob shut! I got my Toyos mail order and thought they'd sent me a mismatched set until I realised [emoji38]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
60% of the time it works everytime...

HFB

Quote from: "Call the midlife!"
Quote from: "HFB"
Quote from: "tiff272"I genuinely can't find one. I've just been out with a torch and still can't find it. I know you probably won't be able see in enough detail on this photo but if you could say which area like top right that it should be written in? I googled and it said it should be next to the DOT writing but there's nothing there!

20170723_163247~2.jpg

Is that the offside rear wheel you have taken a pic of there?

If so, the tyre is marked as left and the rotation is the wrong way round!

I'm no expert, but that doesn't look like the front left side wheel judging by the bumper seam and brake caliper position.

If I'm right, your wheels are all on wrong, which would explain the scary feel when driving, cornering.

If I'm wrong.......my bad!   s:oops: :oops: s:oops:  

HFB
I thought that too but convinced myself that it was the nearside front, never thought about the caliper position, good spot if that's the case as I kept my gob shut! I got my Toyos mail order and thought they'd sent me a mismatched set until I realised [emoji38]

Think I'm wrong after lots of back and forth comparing.

Think it is the Nearside Front that is pictured.

s:oops: :oops: s:oops:  

HFB
2000 Roadster
2ZZ, Miester Zeta CRD+ Coilovers, Megillian Custom Exhaust & Underbody Brace and 1/2 cage (and working soft top), Patrick Chambers Enclosed air intake and oil cooler, badly re-furbed alloys :D

Sian

Quote from: "HFB"Is that the offside rear wheel you have taken a pic of there?

It's the front passenger side. I think they're all on correctly, the arrows all face the way they turn so I assumed that to be right.

[attachment=0:17e25p0h] ia0 20170723_163247~3.jpg ia0 [/attachment:17e25p0h]

I think it's probably just cause I cropped in so much.

Thank you for looking so closely and pointing it out cause if they had been wrong that literally would have been an accident waiting to happen!

... But they're on right yeah? Is the caliper in the wrong place? I assume that's the big black thing. Do I need to get that changed?

HFB

Quote from: "HFB"Is that the offside rear wheel you have taken a pic of there?

It's the front passenger side. I think they're all on correctly, the arrows all face the way they turn so I assumed that to be right.

20170723_163247~3.jpg

I think it's probably just cause I cropped in so much.

Thank you for looking so closely and pointing it out cause if they had been wrong that literally would have been an accident waiting to happen!

... But they're on right yeah? Is the caliper in the wrong place? I assume that's the big black thing. Do I need to get that changed?

Nope, it's all fine.

I am wrong on which wheel. Sorry to mislead/scare you.

Caliper (black thing) is in correct place and I'd imagine virtually impossible to fit on the hub incorrectly.

As above, aside from tyre sizes being larger, it could just be a wallowy characteristic of the T1-R's.

HFB
2000 Roadster

Sian

This is the rear passenger side for reference

[attachment=0:1hxtzhuk] ia0 20170723_163254~2.jpg ia0 [/attachment:1hxtzhuk]

Sian

Quote from: "HFB"Nope, it's all fine.

Phew! Thank you for bringing it up though, could you imagine if it had been wrong!

Call the midlife!

Quote from: "HFB"Nope, it's all fine.

Phew! Thank you for bringing it up though, could you imagine if it had been wrong!
You'd be fine going backwards [emoji23]

Sian

Yes and with all the beeping everyone would get out my way!

Call the midlife!

Yeah, have to say I'm not sorry my PFL doesn't do that! Well apart from when I wrongly fitted my reversing sensors![emoji23]

Sian

It actually doesn't bother me. It hadn't crossed my mind that it'd be annoying until a friend said it'd do their head in. Maybe it'll bother me after a few years of it!

smarty72

Quote from: "tiff272"It actually doesn't bother me. It hadn't crossed my mind that it'd be annoying until a friend said it'd do their head in. Maybe it'll bother me after a few years of it!

You only have to snip one wire to shut it up thankfully!
current: Astral Black FL

Ex: Forest Green 2003.

beavisrules

I also don't mind others trying my car , but quite far in Gloucestershire.
just pm me if you want to pop down and have a go in mine. (also on TR1's running much higher at 32/36 now)
In the wet it's OK , you can't full throttle it and have be at the correct speed before the corners.
In the dry you literally have to make it loose traction on purpose.

Sian

Quote from: "beavisrules"on TR1's running much higher at 32/36 now

Thank you for the offer but that is a bit far. Are those pressures on FL size wheels? I've just upped mine to 28 & 36 as someone mentioned on here so I will see how I go with that. If not I might increase the front a bit more like yours. But surely increasing the front wouldn't help the back grip more? I don't know. I'm not entirely sure of the logic behind tyre pressures!

beavisrules

Logic & theories can only go so far with so many variables, trying out is the only way. mine are 185/205 pfl sized.
Mine had a tendency to go sideways (and be a bit wallowy) at lower pressures , rather than the back or front first.
Only costs petrol to spend a day blasting about with a pump & gauge in the car.

Sian

Ah yes mine doesn't seem to go side to side or be the front, def a *slight* rear issue.

For the purpose of an update and future readers with similar worries  -  This weekend it was out in heavy rain mainly on the motorway and seemed happy at 28 & 36. I still need to have a go at windy country roads in the wet as that was what first alarmed me but so far so good. I do believe a lot of it is in my own confidence and getting used to the car too. I no longer worry in the dry and think that's due to practice rather than the tyre pressure change.

Tags: