Nurburgring-ing.......

Started by Anonymous, February 16, 2005, 11:29

Anonymous

Ok chaps. Collective head on now........

I have a chance (and one which I will probably take) to go to the 'Ring in May for a long weekend and about 20 laps of the legendary track. So, as I am, with my own car at least, a bit of a novice at track days, I was wondering if there was some kind of "check list" that people would recommend I do regarding the well being of the car and so on. I am talking about not killing it basically. And also are there thing I should do for a track day in general, let alone the 'Ring?

I tried a search, but what results I did get didn't cover the kind of things I want to know and I couldn't be bothered to go WAY back in some of the posts to find what I wanted if it was there!!!

Any help would be much appreciated people!!!

Ta!!!   s:D :D s:D

Tem

Someone made a great writeup about trackdays, but I can't seem to find it. IIRC, it was mph...or markiii...
Sure you can live without 500hp, but it\'s languishing.

Anonymous

m http://www.circuitdriver.com/default.asp m

lots of good details here,

Plus GT4 has the 'ring

Anonymous

Quote from: "Tem"Someone made a great writeup about trackdays, but I can't seem to find it. IIRC, it was mph...or markiii...

Yeah, that was what I was looking for, but I can't find it either.

I was kinda hoping for more car care too.......

Anonymous

Quote from: "odub"http://www.circuitdriver.com/default.asp

lots of good details here,

Plus GT4 has the 'ring

Don't worry. GT4 is on order and although I know it is going to be NOTHING like driving the real thing, at least I can have a go at TRYING to remember some of the corners!!!

Anonymous

I reckon it can't hurt, as long as you don't try to do the same speed round the corners, at least knowing that they exist will be a head start.

mrsmr2

Try This

I think there is English text in there.
04 Astral Black, hard top, air con, black leather, Corky\'s MSMB; FSB;  RMB; RLCB, empty exhaust manifold, cg-lock.  Warranty: new wheels @ 20k, new pads and discs @ 21k, new wheels @ 26.4k

Anonymous

Haha u lucky GIT thatll be a great experience. Jus have fun (top priority   s8) 8) s8)  )

sorry to say tho, I know people who have done 100+ laps of the reing and still dont know where the fuck they are any of the time   s:oops: :oops: s:oops:  

Get to training on GT4   s:twisted: :twisted: s:twisted:    s:D :D s:D    s:D :D s:D

Anonymous

Quote from: "mrsmr2"Try This

I think there is English text in there.

I tried this site and its not THAT good to be fair. Very confusing (yes, there is english text in there) and not that much info on how to look after your car and so on. Just more about trip planning, accomodation etc............

I know all that. A friend is organising it all, so nothing to worry about there. I just want to know if there are some basic track day do's and don'ts so my car won't get killed by it all!!   s:shock: :shock: s:shock:    s:( :( s:(

mrsmr2

There is someone who has a great web site which shows times, routes, places to stay, advice, etc.  But, I can't remember the address.  I think I used it a few weeks ago but I've cleared my history - argh.

It's something to do with Ringers, but a quick check on Google didn't find much of any help.

You could always post a question on the Evo (magazine) forum or Seloc.

Jason
04 Astral Black, hard top, air con, black leather, Corky\'s MSMB; FSB;  RMB; RLCB, empty exhaust manifold, cg-lock.  Warranty: new wheels @ 20k, new pads and discs @ 21k, new wheels @ 26.4k

Anonymous

Quote from: "mrsmr2"There is someone who has a great web site which shows times, routes, places to stay, advice, etc.  But, I can't remember the address.  I think I used it a few weeks ago but I've cleared my history - argh.

It's something to do with Ringers, but a quick check on Google didn't find much of any help.

You could always post a question on the Evo (magazine) forum or Seloc.

Jason

Not a bad idea, but yet another thing I am going to have to sign up for.............  s:roll: :roll: s:roll:  

I thought that there might be a few people on here that might be able to help. I think all of the regular track dy goers have either left us or don't come on here that often anymore. Zud, Martin JuanSolo etc.........haven't seen them here for a while...........

kanujunkie

could be worth while hiring that woman, the one that was on top gear to show you how to do it properly or go out in the circuit taxi, better that than spinning off somewhere
[size=100]Stu[/size]
[size=80]rip - C2 chargecooled roadster
now Subaru Impreza WRX STi with PPP
ex committee 2004-2009[/size]

Anonymous

Quote from: "kanujunkie"could be worth while hiring that woman, the one that was on top gear to show you how to do it properly or go out in the circuit taxi, better that than spinning off somewhere

Not to worried by that kinda thing really. Going to take it easy anyway, first few times. I can pick up tracks relatively easy (although NOTHING as big as the 'Ring though, admittedly), so should be Ok in that respect. What I am after is stuff that I might need to do to the car, any special things I should do for it e.g. should I adjust tyre pressures, do I need to take anything with me in case of anything happening, should I treat the car in a certain way before or after a number of laps...........that kind of thing.

Sorry if I am confusing you all........  s:oops: :oops: s:oops:

kanujunkie

John

a mate of mine has an mpeg of the track, any use to you??
[size=100]Stu[/size]
[size=80]rip - C2 chargecooled roadster
now Subaru Impreza WRX STi with PPP
ex committee 2004-2009[/size]

Anonymous

cough cough
 m http://www.circuitdriver.com/ m
-> Getting Started...
-> Track Technique
-> Car Preparation

cough

A tip i read on some scooby site was, don't use the handbrake after getting the brakes hot, 'cos it'll fuse them shut.

Anonymous

Quote from: "kanujunkie"John

a mate of mine has an mpeg of the track, any use to you??

Yeah, definately! Would be most appreciative. PM me it (or to everyone if they want to see it!)

ta!  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

Anonymous

Quote from: "odub"cough cough
 m http://www.circuitdriver.com/ m
-> Getting Started...
-> Track Technique
-> Car Preparation

cough

A tip i read on some scooby site was, don't use the handbrake after getting the brakes hot, 'cos it'll fuse them shut.

Sorry Odub, I have just seen this myself too!!! DOH!!! I was being a bitthick earlier and flitting in and out of the office so didn't take much notice of what was on the site. My bad.......  s:oops: :oops: s:oops:  

As for the handbrake tip, I have heard that too. Nice to know its not an urban myth!!!

Cheers!!

Anonymous

w www.northloop.co.uk w

you might like that also for some very large vids

Anonymous

Quote from: "odub"A tip i read on some scooby site was, don't use the handbrake after getting the brakes hot, 'cos it'll fuse them shut.

And/or boil the brakefluid... bad thing to do.

mrsmr2

Handbrake off after a run to avoid warping the disks.

Also, leave engine to idle for a bit to avoid hot spots (whatever they are - but that's what Andy said at North Weald).

Anonymous

I've heard that for turbo engines before, leaving to idle cooling down,

I guess when the engine is ticking over the oil is getting moved around, but if its not, it'll still be 100's of degrees in static oil, if there was any irregularity in the consistently or purity of the oil I guess it could super heat.

SimonC_Here

Quote from: "odub"www.northloop.co.uk

I love the one with the *loud* american and the Porches.

s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  

Simon

Anonymous

Yeah thats great:

"These guys can't drive they don't know the line at all"
Just before taking completly the wrong line, hitting the curb and almost spinning t'bmw.

Anonymous

Quote from: "odub"www.northloop.co.uk

Odub,

That site is excellent! I have sent that link to the "convoy" I will be travelling to whet their appetites too!

Did you say it was a mate of yours?

SimonC_Here

Are you going to get some virtual practice in?

TOCA racing driver 2 for the PC has the 'ring.

Simon

Tags: