Nurburgring-ing.......

Started by Anonymous, February 16, 2005, 11:29

Anonymous

Quote from: "SimonC_Here"Are you going to get some virtual practice in?

TOCA racing driver 2 for the PC has the 'ring.

Simon

Does it? Oh dear..........................I didn't know that. Whoops.........

Going to wait for GT4 to actually buy a game, but could be tempted to actually HIRE Toca 2 for that. The more practice, the merrier............  s:twisted: :twisted: s:twisted:

SimonC_Here

Don't forget the wheel and peddles. You gotta have a wheel and peddles!

Simon

Slacey

I've just checked (I had a feeling) Race Driver 2, and although it does have the Nurburgring, it is the Sudschleife - the GP circuit, not the Nordschleife which is the public, 13 mile long jobbie.

GT4 does indeed have the full Nordschleife though  s:twisted: :twisted: s:twisted:
Ex 2002 Black / Red Leather Hass Turbo

SimonC_Here

s:oops: :oops: s:oops:  
I should read the box better, I think I thought at the time 4miles was a bit short!

And I don't have a console to play GT4 on  s:cry: :cry: s:cry:

Simon

Anonymous

Quote from: "Slacey"I've just checked (I had a feeling) Race Driver 2, and although it does have the Nurburgring, it is the Sudschleife - the GP circuit, not the Nordschleife which is the public, 13 mile long jobbie.

GT4 does indeed have the full Nordschleife though  s:twisted: :twisted: s:twisted:

Ahh...bummer. I want the Daddy!!!!   s:twisted: :twisted: s:twisted:    s:twisted: :twisted: s:twisted:  

GT4 it is then!!   s:roll: :roll: s:roll:    s:wink: :wink: s:wink:    s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

Anonymous

Quote from: "SimonC_Here"Don't forget the wheel and peddles. You gotta have a wheel and peddles!

Simon

Don't worry. Already WAY ahead of you...........  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:    s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  

Got them when I got GT3!!!!

Anonymous

Quote from: "SimonC_Here"
Quote from: "odub"www.northloop.co.uk

you might like that also for some very large vids

I love the one with the *loud* american and the Porches.

s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  

Simon

Errr.......just seen this!!! Now, I know we have one or two friends from across the pond that frequent this site and they are very welcome indeed. But when you watch this video, you have to say he really isn't the best advertisement for the good ol' US of A is he?

What a complete and utter t**t!!!!   s:shock: :shock: s:shock:    s:roll: :roll: s:roll:

filcee

Quote from: "odub"I've heard that for turbo engines before, leaving to idle cooling down,

I think I'm right in saying that Turbo engines should be left to idle for a few seconds after starting and before switching off.  This is because most turbos run on an oil bearing -  that is no balls (ahem), just a channel with oil in it to support the turbo whilst it spins.

If you flay the car from the moment it's started, then the turbo will reach humungous revs, but effectively without a bearing to run in, therefore it will break (sooner or later).

If you switch off immediately after a fast run, then the turbo will still be spinning, but the oil pump is off so no fresh oil is being pumped into the bearing - same effect, turbo doing big revs, but no lube in the bearing.  Idling the engine for a few seconds allows the turbo to spin down before you remove the lube from the bearing.
Phil
2003 6-sp SMT in Sable
x-2001 5-sp SMT in Lagoon Blue

Anonymous

Good morning chaps.

Gary here from  w www.northloop.co.uk w  

I saw that you guys were looking at my new site and thought I would come on and say hello. Hope you enjoy the videos and pictures. There will be loads more going up over the next few weeks. We also have a forum linked which shows ring opening times etc so if your interested come along and say hello.

Funnily enough I met a group of MR2 owners from the UK over there last year......NIce guys I must say.

Gary

Anonymous

Quote from: "northloop"Good morning chaps.

I saw that you guys were looking at my new site and thought I would come on and say hello. Hope you enjoy the videos and pictures. There will be loads more going up over the next few weeks. We also have a forum linked which shows ring opening times etc so if your interested come along and say hello.

Funnily enough I met a group of MR2 owners from the UK over there last year......NIce guys I must say.

Gary

Alright Gary! Had a real good look at some of the vids and pictures and so on on your site. Very nice and REALLY makes me want to take this chance and get over there. Looks TRULLY awesome!!!  

I think I will be watching your vids a bit more often than not. Might be a good way of trying to learn the track instead of playing the games........  s:roll: :roll: s:roll:    s:wink: :wink: s:wink:    s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  

Tell you what!!! That Pug looks a complete nail, but by gods its quick innit? I knew they were good, but with a few mods, its a monster eater!

Like the car parks too.............  s8) 8) s8)  

And that american guy? Comedy value at its best.............

How often do you get over there cos you seem to know the track pretty well?

juansolo

Quote from: "John Woodward"I was wondering if there was some kind of "check list" that people would recommend I do regarding the well being of the car and so on. I am talking about not killing it basically. And also are there thing I should do for a track day in general, let alone the 'Ring?

Simple stuff really.  Make sure you have plenty of meat on your tyres and brakes.  Make sure your fluids are all good - replace / top up as necessary.  Generally that all is in good running order.

Fit your towing eye to the car before going out on track, if the worst happens and you stuff it, they'll not spend time trying to find it and will get your car out by any means neccessary.

Make sure you have got plenty of fuel in the tank before going out on track

It's a modern japanese sports car, there's really not any more to it.  Drive within your limits and be extra observant of all that is going on around you.  Especially at the Nurburgring (talk about baptism of fire!) where you can have bikes, cars, vans and god knows what all sharing the track.  Start off slow and build up your speed slowly.  Going balls out from the start is a guarenteed way of sticking your pride and joy into a barrier.

I would strongly recommend getting a couple of trackdays in before the Nurburgrng.  Experienced trackdayers even find it intimidating, it's not really the place for your first trackday!
[size=75]Porsche Cayman - Curvy (almost) perfection
Juno SSE-CN - Bonkers track thing
Mercedes 190E - Das Uberbarge still going strong[/size]

Anonymous

Quote from: "juansolo"
Quote from: "John Woodward"I was wondering if there was some kind of "check list" that people would recommend I do regarding the well being of the car and so on. I am talking about not killing it basically. And also are there thing I should do for a track day in general, let alone the 'Ring?

Simple stuff really.  Make sure you have plenty of meat on your tyres and brakes.  Make sure your fluids are all good - replace / top up as necessary.  Generally that all is in good running order.

Fit your towing eye to the car before going out on track, if the worst happens and you stuff it, they'll not spend time trying to find it and will get your car out by any means neccessary.

Make sure you have got plenty of fuel in the tank before going out on track

It's a modern japanese sports car, there's really not any more to it.  Drive within your limits and be extra observant of all that is going on around you.  Especially at the Nurburgring (talk about baptism of fire!) where you can have bikes, cars, vans and god knows what all sharing the track.  Start off slow and build up your speed slowly.  Going balls out from the start is a guarenteed way of sticking your pride and joy into a barrier.

I would strongly recommend getting a couple of trackdays in before the Nurburgrng.  Experienced trackdayers even find it intimidating, it's not really the place for your first trackday!

Hah HA! There you are!!! Thought you had run away!

s:wink: :wink: s:wink:    s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  

I have thought of doing a couple of track days before going to be honest. But cost is a bit of a biggy, especially as the 'Ring weekend is going to cost me the best part of £500 probabaly. Luckily, my Dad bought me and the girlfriend some track time in some Mini Cooper S Works cars, so that is a start. Ok, completely differennt car, but its something all the same....

My car is going in for a service before I go anyway, so hopefully, anything mechanical should be brought up and sorted out then anyway. What is worrying is that I am losing water A LOT at the moment (the car overheated badly the other day and there was nothing left in the system. I really can't find out what is up with it cos there seem to be no leaks and there is no classic signs of head gasket.................but that is another thread.....). I will get the guys to check everything (it had a brake fluid change on the last service, so that should be Ok) and the pads MIGHT need changing, but other than that, its all in good order.

As for being a baptism of fire? Well, yep!! Indeed!! Can't argue with that. I have done circuit time before, but with other peoples cars, not mine, so I have SOME track experience, but NOTHING like this. And it IS my own car. But the opportunity arose and I thought "What the hell. Only comes around so often" and thought I better do it before I never get to do it.

Cheers for that Solo. Appreciated. Just keep to the basic stuff and get used to the track. Copy that!!!

Ta!  s:D :D s:D

juansolo

Quote from: "John Woodward"Hah HA! There you are!!! Thought you had run away!

I still pop in every now and then.  s;) ;) s;)

QuoteI have thought of doing a couple of track days before going to be honest. But cost is a bit of a biggy, especially as the 'Ring weekend is going to cost me the best part of £500 probabaly. Luckily, my Dad bought me and the girlfriend some track time in some Mini Cooper S Works cars, so that is a start. Ok, completely differennt car, but its something all the same....

Doesn't matter about the car, it'll help you gain awareness of what's going on around you on track.  It's all a bit of an information overload the first few times as you're concentrating on so many things that are not second nature yet.  Once you have a couple under your belt you'll be way more comfortable and you'll need to be, especially if it's an open day/free for all at the 'ring...  Seriously, I cannot stress how much this is worth doing.

If you can on the Mini day, get some tuition.  It's worth it's weight in gold even to the most experienced track driver.

Quoteand the pads MIGHT need changing, but other than that, its all in good order.

If they're low change them anyway and bed the new ones in.  You will hammer the hell out of them on track.

QuoteCheers for that Solo. Appreciated. Just keep to the basic stuff and get used to the track. Copy that!!!

Yep and keep an eye on your mirrors.  You'll be fine.  Good luck!
[size=75]Porsche Cayman - Curvy (almost) perfection
Juno SSE-CN - Bonkers track thing
Mercedes 190E - Das Uberbarge still going strong[/size]

Anonymous

Cheers!!! Appreciated!

Anonymous

Quote from: "John Woodward"
Quote from: "northloop"Good morning chaps.

Gary

Alright Gary! Had a real good look at some of the vids and pictures and so on on your site. Very nice and REALLY makes me want to take this chance and get over there. Looks TRULLY awesome!!!  

I think I will be watching your vids a bit more often than not. Might be a good way of trying to learn the track instead of playing the games........  s:roll: :roll: s:roll:    s:wink: :wink: s:wink:    s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  

Tell you what!!! That Pug looks a complete nail, but by gods its quick innit? I knew they were good, but with a few mods, its a monster eater!

Like the car parks too.............  s8) 8) s8)  

And that american guy? Comedy value at its best.............

How often do you get over there cos you seem to know the track pretty well?

Hi John how you doing?

Im not sure how to take your comment about my pug being a complete nail ......   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:    Its not that bad I promise. In fact it cost nearly £18K new so it cant be that bad   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  
To be fair it hasnt had too much done, just the non essentials stripped out and a cage etc fitted. It only has 139 BHP but it does ok.....

I met a fair few MR2 owners over there last year. I think it was a group outing or something. Real nice guys I must admit, had a good chat with them.

In fairness the ring is all about track knowledge. If you have a light car and around 140BHP then under 9 mins is in your scope ......

We have put some pics up today from Bedford RS onwers club track day today ,,,,,,,,

w www.northloop.co.uk w

m http://www.northloop.co.uk/gallery_bedrs_feb05.htm m

enjoy

Gary

Anonymous

Quote from: "northloop"Hi John how you doing?

Im not sure how to take your comment about my pug being a complete nail ......   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:    Its not that bad I promise. In fact it cost nearly £18K new so it cant be that bad   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  
To be fair it hasnt had too much done, just the non essentials stripped out and a cage etc fitted. It only has 139 BHP but it does ok.....

I met a fair few MR2 owners over there last year. I think it was a group outing or something. Real nice guys I must admit, had a good chat with them.

In fairness the ring is all about track knowledge. If you have a light car and around 140BHP then under 9 mins is in your scope ......

We have put some pics up today from Bedford RS onwers club track day today ,,,,,,,,

w www.northloop.co.uk w

m http://www.northloop.co.uk/gallery_bedrs_feb05.htm m

enjoy

Gary

Heh heh..don't worry. The Pug being a nail wasn't a put down!!! Honest! Its that just looking at it it doesn't "look" like its a sub 9 minute car........no offence, honest!!!  s:oops: :oops: s:oops:    s:lol: :lol: s:lol:   But, stripped and the rigth mods........well, you prove me wrong!!!

s:D :D s:D  

I would be more than happy to get Sub 9 mins in my 2, but then I suppose, like you said, if you know the track, then its well within reach of many good cars.

I reckon I am going to have to take more than one trip over there though if I am going to get sub 9 mins in my 2 though, although it should be capable........140bhp, light........seems reasonable!!!

As for the MR2 guys, doesn't suprise me you found them all a good bunch. When I have my Mk1's, used to see and communicate with a number of members of various clubs and they were all a really nice bunch and the same goes for this lot on here. Couldn't have been luckier to find a top bunch of people with good knowledge and a sense of humour too. Hang around and you will see........

Must be something to do with the car itself..........you should get one!!!!   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:    s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  

Will check out the piccies.........

Anonymous

I've been to the ring a couple of times, only drove it once (did 3 laps, and passenger in a few more). This was when the guy in the shed was selling 6 lap tickets, its a bit more flash now I hear !!

We did it in a Proton Impia, and a Merc C200 rental car, and we were overtaking some cars in them! I think the fastest lap I did was about 11 minutes, and I thought I was flying  :-) :-) :-)  Its such a lnog circuit, you are never going to get down to 9 minutes without a lot of tracktime !!

I don't think it matters what car you have until you learn the circuit, which is probably 20-30 laps minimum as it is so long.

Just driving round the circuit is amazing, with all the cars/bikes you see at various speeds, just be careful to watch your mirrors, and don't be tempted to go too fast to keep up with people !!

Its an amazing experience, and I recommend it to anyone.

My lasting memorys (and I think everyone gets the same) are:

- Being overtaken by locals in knackered cars
- seeing them in the barriers later in the lap
- overtaking coaches doing tours of the circuit !!
- Getting undertaken by a motorbike in the carousel - NUTTER !
- the circuit closing for a couple of hours as a motorcyclist was killed
- Driving to the nearest petrol station on fumes to find out NO CREDIT CARDS  :-) :-) :-)  (Is this still the same ???)

My top tips would be to fill the car with petrol before you get to circuit, and keep an eye on the fuel gauge, as you get rubbish MPG !!

Also, be very careful when you have done a few laps - you will think you are coming up to a fast corner, when actually its a tight one - they all look the same !!

Take a friend with a video camera to sit in the passenger seat and watch when you get home.

Theres a bunch of info at the website  m http://www.nurburgring.de/ m  I thought they had a calendar showing which days its open to the public, but I can't find it now - its not every day as they close the circuit for Manufacturers days, and other events, so make sure your going on a decent week.

James.

Slacey

Quote from: "jblackmore"Take a friend with a video camera to sit in the passenger seat and watch when you get home.
Not anymore - they banned all filming and photography last year  s:( :( s:(

Chris

John,

I'm heading to the 'ring at the end of march for my 2nd time - I'm finding out (like jezza clarkson) that once you do it once, it kinda gets under ya skin!   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  

check out http://www.nurburgring.org - this is probably the site alluded to earlier, and has lots of useful info.  Check out the beginners and safety pages and then read the previous trip logs for some insights.

As well as gt4, project gotham 2 on the xbox also has the ring, as it's definately useful to get some practice in first, although be wary of thinking you know the track as you won't (as demonstrated by the guy in the elise on my last trip, who binned it under the trees at the end of the lap).

I totally agree with the advice given so far - watch your mirrors for nutter golf and porsche drivers, but also keep a look out for that damn coach!   s:evil: :evil: s:evil:   Good advice about the handbrake, so also remember to take a wheel chock as the carpark is not flat!  Some of the corners have painted marks on to guide you in the turn in/apex points, so look out for those.

See if you can grab some passenger laps as well - it gives both you and the car a rest and also a different perspective...  Above all, enjoy it!!   s:D :D s:D

edit: btw, don't worry too much about it being one of your first track days - it was only my 3rd!  s:roll: :roll: s:roll:    Also, I'd advise not to worry about timing - i found that it just put me off trying to beat the clock, rather than concentrating on getting round in one piece!
[size=100]
2004 Maroon Lotus Elise 111R[/size]
[size=80]Ex 2004 Red 6sp MT TTE Turbo
Ex 2003 Astral Black 6sp SMT
Ex 2002 Lagoon Blue 5sp MT
[/size]

Anonymous

Quote from: "Chris"John,

I'm heading to the 'ring at the end of march for my 2nd time - I'm finding out (like jezza clarkson) that once you do it once, it kinda gets under ya skin!   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  

check out http://www.nurburgring.org - this is probably the site alluded to earlier, and has lots of useful info.  Check out the beginners and safety pages and then read the previous trip logs for some insights.

As well as gt4, project gotham 2 on the xbox also has the ring, as it's definately useful to get some practice in first, although be wary of thinking you know the track as you won't (as demonstrated by the guy in the elise on my last trip, who binned it under the trees at the end of the lap).

I totally agree with the advice given so far - watch your mirrors for nutter golf and porsche drivers, but also keep a look out for that damn coach!   s:evil: :evil: s:evil:   Good advice about the handbrake, so also remember to take a wheel chock as the carpark is not flat!  Some of the corners have painted marks on to guide you in the turn in/apex points, so look out for those.

See if you can grab some passenger laps as well - it gives both you and the car a rest and also a different perspective...  Above all, enjoy it!!   s:D :D s:D

edit: btw, don't worry too much about it being one of your first track days - it was only my 3rd!  s:roll: :roll: s:roll:    Also, I'd advise not to worry about timing - i found that it just put me off trying to beat the clock, rather than concentrating on getting round in one piece!

All cracking advice Chris. Cheers!!! Appreciated.

How do you get passenger rides anyway? Are there people touting them around? Ir do you just go and ask someone?

Slacey

Just go and ask  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

Jap GT300

I have a Ferrari paddle shift steering wheel and pedals for the PS2 if anyone wants to give me a small fee for them!

I don't use them anymore.

Chris

Quote from: "Slacey"Just go and ask  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

Exactly!  They're usually an approachable lot, so just find the car you fancy a go in and ask!  they can only say no...   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:
[size=100]
2004 Maroon Lotus Elise 111R[/size]
[size=80]Ex 2004 Red 6sp MT TTE Turbo
Ex 2003 Astral Black 6sp SMT
Ex 2002 Lagoon Blue 5sp MT
[/size]

Anonymous

Quote from: "Chris"
Quote from: "Slacey"Just go and ask  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

Exactly!  They're usually an approachable lot, so just find the car you fancy a go in and ask!  they can only say no...   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

Fair enough. As I haven't done it before, I didn't know if there was some kind of proceedure that you need to go through before you get a ride.........

Ok, I am off to go and find someone in a Stradale...........  s:twisted: :twisted: s:twisted:

Anonymous

They used to have 'circuit Taxi's' which were M5s driven by local nutters - I think they still run them !!

After the 24 hr race a few years ago I got a lap in a V70R which was really amazing, they were giving free rides to people from all the race teams ! I asked whats the fastest lap he'd ever done and it was 7 and a bit minutes in an F1 car !!! Blimey !

So you never know your luck !

Tags: