2 having a new engine

Started by mrsmr2, February 16, 2005, 18:38

mrsmr2

While having the alignment check on mine this afternoon, I had a look around the Toyota garage and saw another 2 on ramps, with a shiny new engine lying on the floor.

Apparently, there was rattling from the engine and Toyota had decided it needed a new one.  I didn't get the full details of what had happened but I did ask if the pre-cats were OK or whether it was drinking it's oil.  I was told it was neither of those things - something else.

It was a Y reg BTW.

I also saw how weedy the original anti flex plate is - hurry up Corky group buy.

During my chat with the mechanic, I also found out that the Avensis is having  problems with pre-cats, and Celica's have a lot of problems with wheels corroding.  He said it's all the range that has problems but mostly Celicas.

Jason
04 Astral Black, hard top, air con, black leather, Corky\'s MSMB; FSB;  RMB; RLCB, empty exhaust manifold, cg-lock.  Warranty: new wheels @ 20k, new pads and discs @ 21k, new wheels @ 26.4k

Anonymous

mine is in the garage having a new engine at the moment, due to pre cat failure... been gone over a week now, missing it so much   s:cry: :cry: s:cry:

Anonymous

Quote from: "mrsmr2"Apparently, there was rattling from the engine and Toyota had decided it needed a new one.  

The 'rattling' sounds like piston slap, caused by the bores being ovalled. and seems to be the classic pre-cat engine failure.

Piston slap 'rattle' will normally be loudest when the engine is cold, and is under load (full throttle) in any gear, and is most audible around 1500-2500 rpm.

When the engine gets warm it gets much quieter.

From what I can tell, if you have a rattle at idle only then it can be belt tensioner, rattle all the time is probably heatshield, and rattle when cold under load is probably piston slap.

Tags: