2003 to 2004 Model Changes?

Started by WiseNatcho, September 13, 2017, 12:49

WiseNatcho

Apologies if this is an obvious question or has been answered before! - Im new to btoh the forum and the world of MR2 ownership....

I have read that Toyota made some changes to the MR2 during the 2003/2004 period to include a LSD and better safety protection:
Quote2003 (MY 2004)
    Torsen (helical) limited-slip differential available as an option (C65-01B transmission)
    Strengthened unibody for crash intrusion protection (resulting in 10 kg (22 lb) greater curb weight)[25]
    Ride height increased approximately 1" in all markets

Does this mean that a 2003 vehicle will have these improvements or by Model Year 2004 do they mean any car registered as 04 onwards?
Im considering buying a '53 plate but am put off by the fact it may not have these features.

Thanks in advance  s:) :) s:)

The Other Stu

Do you have an import? All UK cars had LSD. It was the imports that didn't.

Have a read of this;
http://www.mr2roc.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=4807
MY2003 had the 6 speed box.
No Longer Here

WiseNatcho

Quote from: "The Other Stu"Do you have an import? All UK cars had LSD. It was the imports that didn't.

Have a read of this;

Thanks, had a read and it looks like if I want the extra stiffening and safety features then a '53 is out of the running :/

shnazzle

Late 53's if you're lucky. 2004 was a pivotal year for the bodywork/safety/stiffening
...neutiquam erro.

WiseNatcho

Quote from: "shnazzle"Late 53's if you're lucky. 2004 was a pivotal year for the bodywork/safety/stiffening

Is there any way to tell - A particular feature being present or a specific code?

shnazzle

hmm...No I think they were all changes to the actual chassis, so very hard to tell without ripping the car to bits.
...neutiquam erro.

ChrisGB

Quote from: "WiseNatcho"
Quote from: "shnazzle"Late 53's if you're lucky. 2004 was a pivotal year for the bodywork/safety/stiffening

Is there any way to tell - A particular feature being present or a specific code?

The front impact intrusion strengthening is visible under the front of the car, it's obvious if you know what to look for. A trawl around the forum will show you images or the differences.
Ex 2GR-FE roadster. Sold it. Idiot.  Now Jaguar XE-S 380. Officially over by the bins.

WiseNatcho

Quote from: "ChrisGB"A trawl around the forum will show you images or the differences.

Will have a look, any advice on what terms to search for?

ChrisGB

Quote from: "WiseNatcho"
Quote from: "ChrisGB"A trawl around the forum will show you images or the differences.

Will have a look, any advice on what terms to search for?

Any threads with photos from under the car should help, stuff on bracing in particular.
Ex 2GR-FE roadster. Sold it. Idiot.  Now Jaguar XE-S 380. Officially over by the bins.

Essex2Visuvesi

Quote from: "The Other Stu"Do you have an import? All UK cars had LSD. It was the imports that didn't.

Have a read of this;

I don't think it's that cut and dry.... my import has an LSD

The Other Stu

Quote from: "Essex2Visuvesi"

Have a read of this;

I don't think it's that cut and dry.... my import has an LSD
Ah, sorry, that was unfair, you're right.
What I meant was that if it didn't have an LSD, it was almost certainly an import.
No Longer Here

Essex2Visuvesi

No problem.
I think LSD was a factory option in Japan... not so sure about other countries

alancsalt

[attachment=1:13810wxm] ia1 DSCN2112.jpg ia1 [/attachment:13810wxm]

Late 2002 FL

[attachment=0:13810wxm] ia0 DSCN1030.JPG ia0 [/attachment:13810wxm]
Toyota MR2 Spyder, November 2002, Engineer approved 2001 Celica 2ZZ motor and C60 trans, MWR Carbon lined synchro set, SMT to Manual conversion, PPE headers,Fabricated Cat/Exhaust, Power FC ECU

Tags: