Tutting noise from engine

Started by wallzaveerz, September 24, 2017, 09:57

wallzaveerz

Morning all.  Yet another strange noise for the collective to decipher.

I have started getting a tutting noise like you would get from a manifold gasket leaking on just one port or a hole in one of the branches on a manifold but I can't for the life of me find a leak.  I have a stainless manifold so I'm not totally ruling out a tiny crack but I can't find anything.

However when you are head down in the engine bay it doesn't sound like it's coming from the exhaust system,  it sounds like it's at the top end of the engine at the timing side.   I even thought it could be the head gasket leaking from number 1 to atmosphere but I spent two hours sat in illuminations traffic last night with no problems whatsoever.

Baffled!

jonbill

I'd check the spark plugs are in properly - they'll make the same noise if loose.

wallzaveerz

Surely it would miss of they were loose enough for gasses to escape?  It's running fine.

Carolyn

I hate 'noises'.  They are a pig to pin down.  You'd be surprised how well an engine will run with a loose plug!!

Systematic checking is the only way.

A bit of paper towel taped to the end of a stiff wire, and held in various spots around the exhaust will flutter when it's near a leak.

Head gasket faults are thankfully rare on the 1ZZ.  Could even be an injector seal....  patient investigation.  Or just stop listening (something I wish I could do).
Perry Byrnes Memorial Award 2016, 2018.  Love this club. 
https://www.mr2roc.org/forum/index.php?topic=63866.0

Ardent

Quote from: "Carolyn"Or just stop listening (something I wish I could do).
With you on that on. If only....

As someone that drives predominately topless. I end up picking up noises from others as well.   s:crazyeyes: :crazyeyes: s:crazyeyes:

wallzaveerz

I cut it a lot of slack with regards to its various sighs, creaks, splutters and bangs.  This needs finding and sorting though.  It's something in the throes of failing, albeit slowly.  Wouldn't be wise to ignore it long term.

Tags: