3rd party warranty

Started by Anonymous, February 17, 2005, 21:10

Anonymous

Does anyone know of a 3rd party warranty that would cover the potential pre-cat problem?

I've tried warranty direct and warranty works both of whom do not cover catalytic convertors.

RAC warranties can do for an extra premium but can only be purchased from a dealership as far as I'm aware.

Any others?

thanks,

dave

mrsmr2

Dave

I enquired about this at Toyota.  They claimed their extended warranty covers the same things as the standard 3 year one.  

They were quite clear that it would cover blown engines, failed pre-cats, even replacement o2 sensors.  They were quite dismissive of third party warranties in respect of those three things.

There was a Y reg in the garage on Wedndesay and that was having it's engine replaced under warranty.

So they are probably more expensive but they seemed to cover a lot of things and there doesn't seem to be much argument when it comes to replacement parts.  Of course, I'll look into this in a lot more detail when it comes to mine needing a new warranty.  But, for the time being it seemed the 'easy' option.

Prices were £395/£360 (over 10k miles a year, under 10k) for one year, or £610/£560 for two years.  Note, these figures have recently increased but Toyota didn't have the new figures.

Bit expensive if you were to add warranty for a further 4 years.

Jason
04 Astral Black, hard top, air con, black leather, Corky\'s MSMB; FSB;  RMB; RLCB, empty exhaust manifold, cg-lock.  Warranty: new wheels @ 20k, new pads and discs @ 21k, new wheels @ 26.4k

Anonymous

The Toyota extended warranty is a possibility if you've had the car serviced at Toyota. They seem to insist on a full Toyota history for their extended warranty (but they can't do this for the standard 3 year one).

It's not looking good so far....

dave

Liz

At the moment I have the AA extended warranty, but they have stopped doing it now  s:?: :?: s:?:    Toyota will be dismissive of other warranty providers because they want your money. Toyota told me that the AA would not let me have the work done at a main dealer (ie them) - checked the paperwork and the AA actually said that they would rather that the car went to the main dealer. Horses for courses really, I may look at doing another extension on mine with warranty direct, but with all the mods it has, not sure that it is worth it  s:? :? s:?
ex-TTE Turbo, now Freelander Sport, its not a car its a Landrover!

Anonymous

Does the Toyota extended warranty cover exhaust/catalytic converters ?? I thought not.

Its very hard to get any proper documentation on it (its an AON policy sold as Toyota). The website and leaflet claim it 'covers everything' but it actually only covers listed parts, and I can't find a list anywhere (and I am a policy holder).

Warranty Direct claim they will cover 'damage caused by a non-covered part', so if the pre-cats destroyed the engine, they would pay for engine to be repaired/replaced.

Given that most people seem to be trying to guy their pre-cats, I'm not sure why you would want to replace them anyway !!

If you wanted to replace the pre-cats you could do it for about the difference in 2 yrs warranty between warranty direct price and Toyota anyway ??

Bongo

I think the list price of an exhaust manifold (which is what you'd need to replace the precats) is around £800.

Anonymous

I thought it was a lot less than that - mine was done under warranty so maybe I got confused.

Point remains, if you have suffered an engine failure which may be pre-cat related, you'd probably not be paying good money to replace them, when knocking out the precats will cost nothing !! (manifold will be off anyway for the engine replacement).

Tags: