Best way to sell a friend's Roadster.

Started by Wilky1974, October 8, 2017, 16:10

Wilky1974

Hi folks,

I wonder if you can help me out. I've been asked to sell a Roadster on behalf of a family friend who has recently lost her husband. The car is a 2002,blue 46K model in pretty tidy condition. It has a MOT until June 2018 and for the time that her elderly husband owned it he pretty much used it as a third car - covering  hardly any miles between MOTs.

I know it's the wrong time to sell, but ultimately she would like it sold as she has two other cars too so she's looking to consolidate down to one. From a value point of view I've been advised it is going to be worth between £1200 and £1500 - this seems a little low considering I think this car could be a little gem. In fact I've even considered buying it myself but that wouldn't make sense as I already have a FL!!

So the questions I have are:

Where would be the best place to sell? On an enthusiast site like this or on an auction site like eBay?

Would it be acceptable to list the car on here - does it matter that I'm not the registered owner/keeper?

The car has been stood for six months and isn't very clean! It Also, the brake discs are obviously rusted over and there's a bit of green moss here and there on the car - is it worth me giving the car a proper clean? Or should I just leave it as it is so prospective buyers can see that it's a genuine car that has just been sat there.

Any advice or comments appreciated,

Regards,

Paul.

jonbill

I think that price guide is pretty good. I think you should clean it, leaving it dirty just makes it look like it wasn't looked after.
I'd advertise everywhere, can't have too many potential buyers [emoji3]

Mikeymead

I second the advice about cleaning it, charging the battery (I assume its flat if it hasn't been used for that long) and giving it a run would't harm either. Ask yourself would you give good money for a car covered in moss and dust which won't start?
Ding Day 2016 "Best In Show" & "Inspector Gadget" winner, not that I'm gloating or anything like that!

The Other Stu

I'll be honest, even a low mileage PFL is going to struggle to hit £1500.

However, I would definitely clean it to within an inch of its life and give it a good run. If it was only MOted in June, it's only been sat around a few months.
No Longer Here

Wilky1974

.... thanks folks. Yeah, general opinion is to give the car a good clean and take lots of photos! So that's next weekend taken care of for me  s:) :) s:) .

Tags: