Needed - studs

Started by Slacey, February 22, 2005, 12:26

Slacey

Guys, as a backup plan I need 4 M8x40 studs reasonably quickly.
I have tried loads of local places without success, anyone know where I can source some from?
Ex 2002 Black / Red Leather Hass Turbo

SteveJ

Quote from: "Slacey"Guys, as a backup plan I need 4 M8x40 studs reasonably quickly.
I have tried loads of local places without success, anyone know where I can source some from?

Should be able to buy M8 threaded bar from B&Q Warehouse - just cut it to length. (This assumes you dont have a strange thread pitch requirement)

markiii

unfortunately they need to `1.25mm pitch

just tried by me and everywhere has 1.5mm but no 1.25mm
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

Comer

Michael

Ex:    Black 2002 MR2 Roadster
Now:  Black 2002 Rav4 Cruiser

heathstimpson

Quote from: "Comer"Screwfix?  Next day delivery.

http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/sea/searchresults.jsp;jsessionid=3AJ0UYGHTZS1RCJO2C1CJ0Q?_dyncharset=UTF-8&q=m8+stud&n=&pn=1&pd=1&pi=1&cn=1&cd=1&x=0&y=0
I would have thought that this is the standard 1.5mm pitch
Ex MR2 Roadster Turbo (seven years) now 997 Porsche Carrera 4 GTS

GSB

Are you sure they're 8mm?

8 x 1.25 is the the more "normal" sizing for these threads, i.e. ISO Metric Course. The ISO Metric fine 8mm stud has a thread pitch of 1.00mm. My wall chart doesn't show a standard thread of 8x1.5mm

I only ask as I had trouble getting threaded stock the same size as the manifold to cat joint studs, which are 10x1.25 ISO metric fine threads.
[size=50]Ex 2001 MR2 Roadster in Silver
Ex 2004 Facelift MR2 Roadster in Sable Grey
Ex 2007 Mazda 6 MPS in Mica Black
Current 2013 Mazda MX5 2.0 \'Venture Edition\' Roadster Coupe in Brilliant Black[/size]

Darth Paul

Sorry, couldn't resist.  s:D :D s:D

Slacey

This is the info I got on what I require... does this help you engineer types any?

M8x1.25x40mm  You can even take an M8 bolt and cut the head off which makes a stud

heathstimpson

Just checked 1.25 is the normal pitch on a Metric course M8 thread.

Slacey

Quote from: "heathstimpson"Just checked 1.25 is the normal pitch on a Metric course M8 thread
So... I can just buy some M8 threaded bar and cut it up?

heathstimpson

Quote from: "Slacey"
Quote from: "heathstimpson"Just checked 1.25 is the normal pitch on a Metric course M8 thread
As far as I can see yes. I may even have some spare at work.  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

GSB

Yup, but if you wanted a more "OEM" installation, I think that the stock cylinder head to exhasut manifold studs are the same size.
[size=50]Ex 2001 MR2 Roadster in Silver
Ex 2004 Facelift MR2 Roadster in Sable Grey
Ex 2007 Mazda 6 MPS in Mica Black
Current 2013 Mazda MX5 2.0 \'Venture Edition\' Roadster Coupe in Brilliant Black[/size]

heathstimpson

If you let me know the length and number I will try and cut them up for you tomorrow.

Slacey

Quote from: "heathstimpson"If you let me know the length and number I will try and cut them up for you tomorrow.
Heath, as above - I guess that the x40 is 40mm long?

If that's the case, I need four - and thanks!  s:D :D s:D

heathstimpson

Quote from: "heathstimpson"If you let me know the length and number I will try and cut them up for you tomorrow.
Heath, as above - I guess that the x40 is 40mm long?

If that's the case, I need four - and thanks!  s:D :D s:D
Is the length precise of about 40mm give or take .5mm  s:?: :?: s:?:

Slacey

Give o take I would think - there will be a small amount protruding from the nut so I don't think it really matters Heath.

heathstimpson

Quote from: "Slacey"Give o take I would think - there will be a small amount protruding from the nut so I don't think it really matters Heath.
Will cut up tomorrow and post to Marks house Thursday. What is Mark's surname as I keep having to just put Mark on the parcels   s:?: :?: s:?:   s:oops: :oops: s:oops:

markiii

Jones,

cheers Heath
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

Chris

Mark,

these sound like the studs i got for the fitting meet. They were from the kwik-fit type place just a little further on from halfords for future reference..
[size=100]
2004 Maroon Lotus Elise 111R[/size]
[size=80]Ex 2004 Red 6sp MT TTE Turbo
Ex 2003 Astral Black 6sp SMT
Ex 2002 Lagoon Blue 5sp MT
[/size]

markiii

LOL great minds Chris, we didn't use them in teh end (sorry) so should still be 4 in my draw.

heathstimpson

Quote from: "markiii"LOL great minds Chris, we didn't use them in the end (sorry) so should still be 4 in my draw.
Are these the correct size before I go and cut some up  s:?: :?: s:?:

markiii

I honestly don't know heath.

If you could cut them anyway it would be best to be on the safe side

heathstimpson

Quote from: "markiii"I honestly don't know heath.

If you could cut them anyway it would be best to be on the safe side
Will do  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

Slacey

It looks like we are going to need them Heath, as the proper ones don't look like they will make it here by Friday!

Thanks to everyone who has helped with this  s:D :D s:D

heathstimpson

I have made 4 x 40mm length and two spares that are about 0.5mm short. They have been sent in the post today so please confirm Mark that you have received them as I can always knock up a few more if they go missing  s:? :? s:?

Tags: