Blue PFL V8 conversion

Started by 8thumpers, January 14, 2018, 00:39

8thumpers

Nearside rear hub removal was a lot easier. Often the way when we have learned the technique previously!

The balljoint puller kit had to be utilised on the tie rod end this side.

As before the abs sensor is the worst thing to remove - seized good and propper!

8thumpers

Started to design the rear hub carrier....

8thumpers

Had a play on the cad to draw up a carrier design. The Audi hub will bolt to this "donut" then the suspension arm brackets can be fitted from a jig off the original Toyota hub.

8thumpers

Quote from: "8thumpers"Had a play on the cad to draw up a carrier design. The Audi hub will bolt to this "donut" then the suspension arm brackets can be fitted from a jig off the original Toyota hub.
Can't load video......

8thumpers

Cad design

jvanzyl

Wow man- this is brilliant! I especially appreciate the photos of you taking apart the tie rod stage by stage as I've not seen the before...

8thumpers

This is the Audi OB1 "Star Wars" gearbox.
Think about it....
I've offered it up for the first time today and it is shorter than I 1st thought... the rear should just sit inside the bumper line.
Of course the final location will be determined by the engine/ firewall position.

8thumpers

You can see how the driveshafts work in these new generation boxes. The diff is located alongside the flywheel meaning a much shorter total package length from front of engine to c/l of output shafts.

A quick track measure between mr2 and Audi shows they are very close on width between driveshaft ends... maybe 30mm or so difference.

manos3003

Good work Otto!

Keep us updated, with as much detail as possible. Interested to see how you can shoehorn this huge lump in that small car.
I can't recall a day when I drove my MR2 and it didn't put a smile on my face
<strike>2000 Spectra Blue Mica - 2ZZ-GE gone, but not forgotten</strike>
2002 Spectra Blue Mica K20A2 coming up

8thumpers

Quote from: "manos3003"Good work Otto!

Keep us updated, with as much detail as possible. Interested to see how you can shoehorn this huge lump in that small car.
Cheers mate!
Well it looks like it might just fit.....

manos3003

Curious about the driveshafts. Is the offset angle that big that might change the torsional vibrations?

For plain-english-peeps: In a hard acceleration, if the driveshafts are at a large offset, will that cause the car to shake horribly, or worse (which I dread to think, let alone mention)
I can't recall a day when I drove my MR2 and it didn't put a smile on my face
<strike>2000 Spectra Blue Mica - 2ZZ-GE gone, but not forgotten</strike>
2002 Spectra Blue Mica K20A2 coming up

8thumpers

Quote from: "manos3003"Curious about the driveshafts. Is the offset angle that big that might change the torsional vibrations?

For plain-english-peeps: In a hard acceleration, if the driveshafts are at a large offset, will that cause the car to shake horribly, or worse (which I dread to think, let alone mention)
I don't think the shafts will be offset at all... at least that is the plan.
Interestingly, on a Boxster they are quite offset from hub to gearbox.
Ill know more when the old engine etc is out and I can make an initial offering up in the bay.

Off the fabricator now to see about these hubs.....

greybeardgt

Offset driveshafts on porkies Ithink you will find the Boxster has drive shafts in line with the rear hubs (the engine is in front) its the 911 (engine behind rear hubs) that has the drive shafts offset forward. The first 911 2ltr had straight driveshafts but had a habit of going through hedges backwards this was cuured? by moving the eng/box forward thus offset shafts! no problem with 911s.transmitting power through there shafts cheers grey beardgt

8thumpers

Quote from: "greybeardgt"Offset driveshafts on porkies Ithink you will find the Boxster has drive shafts in line with the rear hubs (the engine is in front) its the 911 (engine behind rear hubs) that has the drive shafts offset forward. The first 911 2ltr had straight driveshafts but had a habit of going through hedges backwards this was cuured? by moving the eng/box forward thus offset shafts! no problem with 911s.transmitting power through there shafts cheers grey beardgt
Thanx for the clarification!
No probs with that for us in the 2s  s:) :) s:)

8thumpers

After setting up the driveshafts and hubs from both Audi and MR2 gearboxes, I have determined that the hub wheel face will project out 56mm each side, from the Toyota position once the star wars box is in.
I had anticipated it would be wider and assumed I'd need wider bodywork to cover it.....

toyofan

Hi, cool project!!!

Regarding the rear hubs, have you considered having the audi hub machined down to a normal Bearing (like the Mr2 has as stock) and just mount it in the hub as stock?
From the picture it looks like the inner hole in the bearing is big, but the outer diameter looks small.
Or maybe you can use find another bearing with the audi inner diameter, and Toyota outer diameter.

Just a tip, dont know if it is even possible, but will sure make it easier for you!

Good luck whatever you do!!!

8thumpers

Quote from: "toyofan"Hi, cool project!!!

Regarding the rear hubs, have you considered having the audi hub machined down to a normal Bearing (like the Mr2 has as stock) and just mount it in the hub as stock?
From the picture it looks like the inner hole in the bearing is big, but the outer diameter looks small.
Or maybe you can use find another bearing with the audi inner diameter, and Toyota outer diameter.

Just a tip, dont know if it is even possible, but will sure make it easier for you!

Good luck whatever you do!!!
Thanks for the suggestion...
The issue is that the Audi shafts are HUGE compared to the Toyota ones - mixing bearings from the 2 marques just won't work....
The fabrication of the new hub is quite straightforward really! - keep the suggestions coming tho   s:) :) s:)

secla

The norm on engine swaps is to make a half and half shaft with inner Audi and outer Toyota
Having to widen and rework hubs seems a bit more complicated

8thumpers

Quote from: "secla"The norm on engine swaps is to make a half and half shaft with inner Audi and outer Toyota
Having to widen and rework hubs seems a bit more complicated
I was keen to have upgraded shafts and hubs with all that torque  - hence keeping the Audi ones. [emoji4]

8thumpers

This gives you an idea of the extra strength in the Audi shaft.

jonbill

It's a bit thicker isn't it [emoji3]

8thumpers

The 40 valve ABZ v8 4.2ltr

8thumpers

Quote from: "jonbill"It's a bit thicker isn't it [emoji3]
Just a bit! Lol

8thumpers

Rear bumper off and some crash damage discovered to rear bumper bar. I'll get something fabricated here anyway to suit Obiwan

8thumpers

Zorst is off. If anyone wants a nearly new cat and sports manifold let me know....
The box isn't bad either.

Tags: