Blue PFL V8 conversion

Started by 8thumpers, January 14, 2018, 00:39

Justin.D

Dibs on the manifold (price pending)

Nice thread  - Been following (but not commenting - much braver than me, and way above my knowledge range)
Click for my Readers Ride

8thumpers

Quote from: "Justin.D"Dibs on the manifold (price pending)

Nice thread  - Been following (but not commenting - much braver than me, and way above my knowledge range)
Pm you

Escy

Quote from: "greybeardgt"Offset driveshafts on porkies Ithink you will find the Boxster has drive shafts in line with the rear hubs

The 986 3.2 certainly has the driveshafts angled forwards. They've got a reputation for chewing through cv boots because of it.

8thumpers

The gear linkage on the 2 box might just be of use on the starwars box....
It's simple to disconnect by flicking out the spring pins on the end of the cable. The circlips that retain the cable into the housing are a bit fiddly but soon came once I pressed the top tabs with a screwdriver.

8thumpers

Next to go was the subframe. It's only held on with two bolts underneath, each side into the chassis rail. The ABS wire has a bracket bolted onto the subframe each side  - those had to come off too.

The rear gearbox mount had a central bolt which comes out easily enough.

Then it's a matter of dropping the subframe down on a jack - it's not heavy at all.

8thumpers

Disconnecting all the wiring loom connections from the engine looked like the simplest way to get it free. It's a bit fiddly and the only one I couldnt get to was the crank sensor, which is under the inlet manifold - I left this  'til the motor was on the floor, along with the fuel supply pipe.

8thumpers

The front mount by the fuel tank has another centre bolt. Take that out next and the motor will hang from the side mounts.
Then I got a jack under it on a piece of timber under the bellhousing and sump.
Ease the weight up and take the left mount centre bolt out.

The right mount has a verticle bolt in it which was a bit seized. It came out, but I ended up removing the whole mount from the chassis rail to get more room to manoeuvre the motor.

It dropped down easily on the jack and now we have a hole!

Next job is to bolt up Obiwan to the ABZ and see what it looks like for space... 

8thumpers

Thought I'd better assemble the new crane....

8thumpers

I took a flier a good few months back and bought a flywheel, from a breaker, which fits the Audi A5 3ltr TFSI engine... it has the same number of bolts as the v8. I had no idea if it would fit but as the clutch pack is from the A5 it looked like a good starting point to get something suitable fabricated.

Today was the first time I have had the engine off the stand in around 4 years... the flywheel marries up perfectly to the v8 crank and just needs the smallest amount of material taking off the inside face of the spigot to get a flush fit.  To say I am pleased is an understatement! [emoji16][emoji16][emoji16]

Next job is to bolt the box and 8 together for a trial fit in the 2 engine bay.
Then the fun will start!!

s12vea

Big milestone today, looking forward to seeing things progress.
Another one won't hurt  .....

8thumpers

Quote from: s12vea on February  2, 2018, 21:12
Big milestone today, looking forward to seeing things progress.
Yes... I fear it will slow down a bit once the mating process begins! Lol

8thumpers

StuC

Well done for getting them together.
I bet you stood back from that earlier, hands on hips, with a great big satisfying smile on your face! :-D

As an engineer who has used computers to put engines into holes they were not made for... I am watching with excitement to see how this "fits" into your 2.

Really looking forward to your next update. :-)
URBAN CUSTARD COLLECTIVE FOUNDING MEMBER

8thumpers

Quote from: StuC on February  3, 2018, 23:55
Well done for getting them together.
I bet you stood back from that earlier, hands on hips, with a great big satisfying smile on your face! :-D

As an engineer who has used computers to put engines into holes they were not made for... I am watching with excitement to see how this "fits" into your 2.

Really looking forward to your next update. :-)
Sure did! Cheers Stu  - unfortunately I didn't have enough correct sized bolts to tighten them up and lift them off the ground...
Then I can get it offered up in the 2!

StuC

Details... live in the win for today. You've earned it. [emoji3]

jonbill

I can't believe that's going to fit!

Call the midlife!

Quote from: 8thumpers on January 18, 2018, 23:26
Tonight I made a start on removing the rear mr2 hub. I need to replicate the suspension pickup points and build a carrier for the Audi hub.
Removal of the caliper and disc was straightforward but the hub nut was tight - as expected.

I temp refitted the disc and caliper and then jammed the disc from turning thru the inspection hole in the top of the caliper, with a drift. Then I could lean on the hub nut after freeing the bent tab, and off she popped!

The suspension bolts were a pig but eventually gave in to leverage and penetrating fluid.

Tapping the drive shaft with the nut on the end freed it on the spines but I can't get the  abs sensor out. Looks like that will be sacrificed....

Next job is to figure out how to fabricate the new hub carrier.
All the intense, impressive technical stuff aside I'm loving the repurposing of the paint roller trays! I'm adding that to my list of ways and means. [emoji1303]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
60% of the time it works everytime...

8thumpers

Quote from: Call the midlife! on February  4, 2018, 09:52
Quote from: 8thumpers on January 18, 2018, 23:26
Tonight I made a start on removing the rear mr2 hub. I need to replicate the suspension pickup points and build a carrier for the Audi hub.
Removal of the caliper and disc was straightforward but the hub nut was tight - as expected.

I temp refitted the disc and caliper and then jammed the disc from turning thru the inspection hole in the top of the caliper, with a drift. Then I could lean on the hub nut after freeing the bent tab, and off she popped!

The suspension bolts were a pig but eventually gave in to leverage and penetrating fluid.

Tapping the drive shaft with the nut on the end freed it on the spines but I can't get the  abs sensor out. Looks like that will be sacrificed....

Next job is to figure out how to fabricate the new hub carrier.
All the intense, impressive technical stuff aside I'm loving the repurposing of the paint roller trays! I'm adding that to my list of ways and means. [emoji1303]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
They are brilliant - dirt cheap and get under tight spaces :)

8thumpers

Properly bolted up but will need some offset bolts sorting underneath the bellhousing. Not a major issue.

8thumpers

First time offered into the engine bay.
The fan is still in situ at this point and will be coming off. I had to see just how it might fit....
There is loads of room for exhausts etc  each side but I think I may be cutting the bulkhead a little. I'll try again with the fan off and get a better idea..

MrT

No-one dare say that fits! Well it doesn't not fit... But that doesn't mean it fits! Crazy... And very well done so far. Looking forward to your progress.
Cheers
Tyler

RIPieces: Sable \'05 Roadster \'Red\' edition.
Project: MR-S import (JDM) now my toy and mule for:
SC build OR a 2AR-FXE swap (ref: Frankenstein Motorworks) OR Electric conversion
AND rebody with a fibreglass replica of Porsche 550 Spyder.

8thumpers

Quote from: MrT on February  7, 2018, 22:05
No-one dare say that fits! Well it doesn't not fit... But that doesn't mean it fits! Crazy... And very well done so far. Looking forward to your progress.
Cheers buddy!

8thumpers

I took it out and removed the old 1ZZ engine mounts on the chassis. Also took the audi fan off and then put it back in again...
Gained another few cm and although the driveshafts aren't directly straight I think I can get it something like without chopping the bulkhead!!

I offered up the rear bumper to see if Obiwan sticks out too much at the back... I'll post pics tomorrow but see what you think..

This is a major moment and changes the whole project timescale for sure!

I'm not counting any chickens but a good way to end the night!

MrT

Excellent news, when will you have conversion kits ready?
Cheers
Tyler

RIPieces: Sable \'05 Roadster \'Red\' edition.
Project: MR-S import (JDM) now my toy and mule for:
SC build OR a 2AR-FXE swap (ref: Frankenstein Motorworks) OR Electric conversion
AND rebody with a fibreglass replica of Porsche 550 Spyder.

StuC

How far off were the driveshaft centres to the hub centres?

What's the overall length of the power train versus the distance to inside fave of the bumper beam?

Also what's the distance from the front of the power train to the centres of driveshaft exit? Likewise, distance from the bulkhead to the hub centres?

Those should give you some ideas of how much you might need to move it forward in car and how much is sticking out the rear... of any. Quick and dirty, but frames the picture. [emoji3]

Tags: