Homemade smoke testing machine

Started by wotugonado, April 12, 2018, 13:01

wotugonado

So I want to test the air intake system and turbo for leaks, easiest and safest method seemed to be smoke rather than carb cleaner method. But the machines are too expensive.
So I decided to make my own.
It cost me about £15 ( I already have an air compressor) in parts an I'm pleased to say it passed the dry run today.
If the weather's dry at the weekend I will have a crack at using it on the car.

That is all from a rather smug/pleased wotugonado
---------------Tte turbo----------------
      Graced the tarmac from 2014-2019

shnazzle

Well.. You can't just burst out with that and not provide pics and instructions! I could do with one at the minute actually
...neutiquam erro.

Topdownman

Pictures?, I think that calls for a video.
"Racing" tax disc holder (binned), Poundland air freshener, (ran out), Annoying cylinder deficiency,  (sorted),
Winner of the Numb bum award 2017
Readers Ride

06 not V6 readers ride

wotugonado

No problem,  i will do a little write up with pics later on. I'm hoping this will put to bed any nagging doubt I have of a leak in the system.
You can use it to test for so many things I reckon it will be money well spent

Topdownman

Could be useful at Ding day to add a bit of drama to the charity auction!
"Racing" tax disc holder (binned), Poundland air freshener, (ran out), Annoying cylinder deficiency,  (sorted),
Readers Ride

06 not V6 readers ride

wotugonado

:) Or a real "stars in your eyes" moment for any amateur crooners amongst you

dan944

I could do with this to give mine a once over before I start whamming boost down it.

Look forward to the write up :)
"I swear mum I did try and sell the roadster"

Silver mr2 2003 FL. Custom Turbo build 209whp. Lots of handling mods.

Honda CR-V The Work Horse

Call the midlife!

Quote from: Topdownman on April 12, 2018, 13:28
Could be useful at Ding day to add a bit of drama to the charity auction!
There'll be enough drama as it is if I have to do it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
60% of the time it works everytime...

wotugonado

Firstly I have made this for my own personal use, im not an expert so use this as a guide if you wish. If there's anything glaringly obvious that may become an issue please flag it up so I can amend the thread accordingly.

Ingredients list for this are as follows

Buy the fittings below in the size that fits your airline

1 X  male quick release air connector
1 X air regulator with male and female connectors (eBay does the set for about £6)
1 X length of air hose (I got 2m length)
1 X metal paint tin and or similar  preferably with a locking collar ( I used a large metal solvent tin I had in the garage as it had the collar that you clip on to secure the lid)
1 X tube of silicone

These are the basic requirements, you could go fancy and get extra male and female couplers for quick release on the hose, and nuts and washers for the couplers but I wasn't that bothered.

So as my can was large and light I was concerned about it getting knocked over so I poured about 3" of postcrete into it to line the bottom/weight it down and left it overnight to dry out.

In the side of the can about 2 thirds up I drilled a pilot hole, making sure it's slightly smaller than the thread diameter on the male connector. I then began to screw the connector into the hole, about halfway in I liberally smeared the thread and the hole in the can with silicone and then screwed the connector all the way in and cleaned off excess silicone.

In the lid I also drilled a hole, just big enough to allow the airline hose to pass through ( this is where the additional male connector can be fitted if you prefer, following the same procedure as the hole in the side) I pushed through about 6" of the airline and put plenty of silicone around the hole and tube on both sides of the lid to make an air tight seal(leave overnight to set)

Assemble the air regulator as per instructions.

Once silicone has dried you can assemble.

*Important* FULLY CLOSE the air regulator, connect this to your airline then attach this to the male connector on the side of the can and put the lid on. Slowly open the regulator till you get the air flowing at a rate your happy with (very low pressure) lock off the regulator at that setting.

To make the smoke I'm going to use charcoal BBQ brickettes.
Get them started as you would a BBQ, when they're ready put them in your can and spray the charcoal with mineral oil, put lid on, turn on air and you should get smoke blowing out (this is still to be confirmed as I haven't tested it yet but is a basic version of how the expensive machines work where they use an electrical heater element and mineral oil) add oil as required.

Edit: if you dont have an air compressor but have one of those electric tyre inflators you could potentially use this and just swap out the airline connector on the side for a tyre valve as the principal is the same.

I'll update as I go

Treboeth

Love it  :D :D

You don`t have to be crazy to own a 2 but it helps with thinking outside the box  ;D

wotugonado

;) You know it
The truth is I'm more tight than crazy, I couldn't justify £100 when I could try this for penny's

Call the midlife!

Quote from: wotugonado on April 13, 2018, 00:14
  ;) You know it
The truth is I'm more tight than crazy, I couldn't justify £100 when I could try this for penny's
You could swap the charcoal and mineral oil for some joss sticks and realign your Chakras while you're at it! Zen and the art of leaky pipes, it could catch on!

60% of the time it works everytime...

wotugonado

Quote from: Call the midlife! on April 13, 2018, 07:45
Quote from: wotugonado on April 13, 2018, 00:14
  ;) You know it
You could swap the charcoal and mineral oil for some joss sticks and realign your Chakras while you're at it! Zen and the art of leaky pipes, it could catch on!

Good shout, because if I did find leaky pipes I'd be really chilled out about it

Topdownman

I can just imagine all the calls to the fire brigade once you fire it up...
Readers Ride

06 not V6 readers ride

wotugonado

So........
It works a treat :) mineral oil smokes like a steam train.
I did however have to put a nut on the inside of the can on the side male connector  as the weight of the regulator moved it.

MR TWO

Have you been hanging out with Italians lately?
1MZFE, Emerald ECU, LSD, BC coilovers, custom middle & front under brace, F / R strut brace. Slotted discs & yellow pads, Blue flame exhaust.
Carrera leather seats, Davids bars, Focal subwoofer & voce speakers & bling !
TRD Stage 2 F & R spoilers,  Haltezza bonnet, C1 side vents, JDL rear panel

wotugonado

Quote from: MR TWO on April 14, 2018, 15:40
Have you been hanging out with Italians lately?
:) That's me testing the equipment on their car, they said and I quote
"come sei entrato nella fossa? la sicurezza toglie questo twat dalla nostra macchina"
I think they were impressed 8)

wotugonado

So now the smokers ready, which line is the best to attach it too ? The charcoal cannister pipe ?

Tags: