SUSPENSION REFRESH WHAT WOULD YOU BUY ?

Started by ilovejapcrap, May 18, 2018, 20:21

ilovejapcrap

Hello all,

I'm wanting to refresh my suspension, i don't want coil overs want to keep standard (other than 30mm lower springs)

so what would you get.

I'm thinking:

top mounts
shocks
springs (30mm lower)
dust gators

do i need anything else ? bushes etc ?

Call the midlife!

Coilovers... you NEEEEED coilovers so you can constantly fiddle with them in carparks...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
60% of the time it works everytime...

Call the midlife!

On a serious note though, to refresh the full system you're looking at around £150 per corner plus rear droplinks and any new nuts and bolts that don't come with the new bits. And Toyota nuts and bolts aren't cheap.
The most cost effective way to replace all four corners is often coilovers.

delhusband

I've never driven a car with "coilovers" (aren't they all coilover?). From a financial and tweaking point of view they seem to me, without any real knowledge, to make a lot of sense.
Before I changed out my suspension, I did a bit of reading on here and got the impression it could make the ride too firm for me personally. My driving style (if you could even call it that) and the roads i like to drive on benefit more from a stock or softer setup. Honestly, im not chasing milliseconds on a track. If i do it'll be once a year at most if i'm lucky. I like a bit of flex and give. I got teins and kybs, £480 all in, without renewing top mounts or anything else. Just shocks and springs. I love 'em, made a real difference over my tired old kit
Hate pointy animals

Bossworld

Quote from: Call the midlife! on May 18, 2018, 20:57
On a serious note though, to refresh the full system you're looking at around £150 per corner plus rear droplinks and any new nuts and bolts that don't come with the new bits. And Toyota nuts and bolts aren't cheap.
The most cost effective way to replace all four corners is often coilovers.

Probably more resale value too?

Still annoys me that I passed up on a full set of brand new suspension that was on FB for about £250

Call the midlife!

Quote from: delhusband on May 18, 2018, 21:16
I've never driven a car with "coilovers" (aren't they all coilover?). From a financial and tweaking point of view they seem to me, without any real knowledge, to make a lot of sense.
Before I changed out my suspension, I did a bit of reading on here and got the impression it could make the ride too firm for me personally. My driving style (if you could even call it that) and the roads i like to drive on benefit more from a stock or softer setup. Honestly, im not chasing milliseconds on a track. If i do it'll be once a year at most if i'm lucky. I like a bit of flex and give. I got teins and kybs, £480 all in, without renewing top mounts or anything else. Just shocks and springs. I love 'em, made a real difference over my tired old kit
Was that just dampers or full struts Derek? I only had a quick look but Kyb struts complete were coming back at least £100/ corner.

delhusband

It was about £87 a corner for KYB's and £120 for 4 tein s-tech 30mm lowering springs. I did have to get gaitors (forgot) , but mechanic said to just keep top mounts and all the rest as he thought they were fine. I know the top bolt is also supposed to be one use, but he kept that too and used loctite or so he said.
Hate pointy animals

Call the midlife!

Quote from: delhusband on May 18, 2018, 21:29
It was about £87 a corner for KYB's and £120 for 4 tein s-tech 30mm lowering springs. I did have to get gaitors (forgot) , but mechanic said to just keep top mounts and all the rest as he thought they were fine. I know the top bolt is also supposed to be one use, but he kept that too and used loctite or so he said.
Yeah, to be fair I was on the Fennsport website so they probably charge top dollar. Although they were the same price on the teins.

delhusband

Hate pointy animals

ilovejapcrap

I'm deffo going standard shock / damp set up and I'm putting new top mounts on

Call the midlife!

Quote from: delhusband on May 18, 2018, 21:33
Quote from: Call the midlife! on May 18, 2018, 21:20I only had a quick look but Kyb struts complete were coming back at least £100/ corner.
Try here:
http://m.mister-auto.co.uk/en/front-shock-absorber/toyota-mr-2-iii-zzw3-1-8-16v-vt-i-140hp_v14535_g900001.html
Aaaah.. miser-auto! Must be local to you then??[emoji38]

Call the midlife!

Quote from: ilovejapcrap on May 18, 2018, 21:36
I'm deffo going standard shock / damp set up and I'm putting new top mounts on

Mate, in all honesty knowing what I know now I wouldn't put coilovers on another MR2 for the type of roads we've been enjoying lately. Hardknott and Wrynose were bitches to get up, you need some rebound for stuff like that. With hindsight I would soften mine up before entering those passes again, it's all a learning curve isn't it? I'll know better next time.

ilovejapcrap

I think the shall we say committed way o went down those may have finished that shock !

Call the midlife!

Quote from: ilovejapcrap on May 18, 2018, 21:45
I think the shall we say committed way o went down those may have finished that shock !

Hahha! Yeah, probably, is it the offside? There was a stretch of dual carriageway where I slammed through 3 big potholes in succession behind you, didn't see the first and hadn't recovered from each one to avoid the next!

ilovejapcrap

Passenger side

delhusband

Quote from: Call the midlife! on May 18, 2018, 21:37
Aaaah.. miser-auto! Must be local to you then??
But of courshe, i'm about the tightest Scotsman there ish ;D
Hate pointy animals

Call the midlife!

Quote from: delhusband on May 18, 2018, 21:53
Quote from: Call the midlife! on May 18, 2018, 21:37
Aaaah.. miser-auto! Must be local to you then??
But of courshe, i'm about the tightest Scotsman there ish ;D
[emoji23]

Call the midlife!

Quote from: ilovejapcrap on May 18, 2018, 21:53
Passenger side

Aaah, that'll be the shopping bag then.

ilovejapcrap

Lol maybe how the hell do I find my project black thread on this taptalk !

delhusband

You lot looked like you had fun this week, very jealous.
Hate pointy animals

Call the midlife!

Quote from: ilovejapcrap on May 18, 2018, 21:56
Lol maybe how the hell do I find my project black thread on this taptalk !

If you started a readers rides then go to forums-common room and look in readers rides.

Call the midlife!

Quote from: delhusband on May 18, 2018, 21:57
You lot looked like you had fun this week, very jealous.
Cracking few days mate!

Ardent

What Del said.

I went fresh stock setup KYB + Teins. Just fresh makes a world of difference. Not once have I ever thought oh I wished I had gone coilys. They could well be better. I dont care if they are. The stock setup has way more capacity, than I have talent.

Tie these in with a good fresh set of tyres and top it all off with a quality geo set up.
Seek out and pay for the best geo. Brings it altogeher,
Can be the difference between a 5yr old on a recorder and a 52 piece orchestra

frogger

I am literally doing the same refresh this weekend.  I've just done the rear and doing the fronts tomorrow.

I got all the kit you listed in the first post, plus new arb drop links for front and rear - no way I'd bother trying to undo the old ones - straight out with the angle grinder.

I also bought track rod ends for the front whilst I was at it - not needed but why not do now I figured.

The KYB struts come with a new top bolt so don't worry about that.

The KYB struts AND pattern part topmounts are cheapest on ebay by far - I have checked *everywhere*.  Same with Tein springs - may as well buy on ebay, £120 is low as it goes.

I have definitely purchased the entire kit for less than the cost of coilovers.

The other thing I've done is wire brush (on an angle grinder) pretty much every part of the suspension and underside and primered and repainted ..... I would not recommend this unless you really want to lol.  It is an intense and time consuming task!

I did not want coilovers as I drive a lot of miles on ropey b-roads, it's not a track car.

ilovejapcrap

Tags: