£252 KYB dampers
£  54 MR2-BEN boots
£  63 front top mounts
£  52 rear top mounts

£571 total for the suspension

Then...

£  25 front drop links
£  20 rear drop links

But you would need to buy these drop links whether using kyb+tein or getting coilovers.

I spent a lot of time looking in to the options and prices and concluded I didn't want coilovers anyway AND could do the above package a fair bit cheaper than coilovers, which started at near enough £800, maybe down to £700 if you found a deal/group buy.

frogger

Honestly I've happily reused the top mounts before though, and would again... but figured for the price I'd treat myself this time, seeing as everything else on the car has been done now!

shnazzle

I drive my 2 a lot, as it's my daily, and more and more I am inclined to think if I were to do it again, I would do KYBs, Teins, top mounts, droplinks and throw a brake refresh in to boot.

BUT... When I do have a spirited drive, I love my BC adjustable coilovers. It does make a difference. A big one.
It's the fact that I still have a fair few spirited drives that I haven't sold my BCs.
...neutiquam erro.

Call the midlife!

I've got a load of stuff to do this weekend but we'll sort out a minute for you to take mine for a bounce around town, now we're back on home ground, have to be on your insurance though [emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
60% of the time it works everytime...

ilovejapcrap

Quote from: frogger on May 19, 2018, 01:33
£120 tein springs
£252 KYB dampers
£  54 MR2-BEN boots
£  63 front top mounts
£  52 rear top mounts

£571 total for the suspension

Then...

£  25 front drop links
£  20 rear drop links

But you would need to buy these drop links whether using kyb+tein or getting coilovers.

I spent a lot of time looking in to the options and prices and concluded I didn't want coilovers anyway AND could do the above package a fair bit cheaper than coilovers, which started at near enough £800, maybe down to £700 if you found a deal/group buy.

Where did you get the KYB from ?

lamcote

I did the full standard suspension refresh with KYBs and standard springs. I am pretty happy with it but I do keep wondering whether Koni adjustable damper inserts would have been the best option. I definitely wouldn't go with coilovers though.
Silver 2004 MR2 -  Unmodified but very shiny.

frogger

Ebay - clicked to get each corner as a separate item, but got them all from the same seller "carpartsinmotion" .  There are 2 or 3 sellers at about the same price.

dan944

I've just done a quick shock replacement and tbh the drop links flew straight off. No issues at all.
"I swear mum I did try and sell the roadster"

Silver mr2 2003 FL. Custom Turbo build 209whp. Lots of handling mods.

Honda CR-V The Work Horse

frogger

I didn't even try lol.  Just cut them off.. Maybe they would have been easy..   But the new ones are nice and shiny :D

dan944

Haha. Not for long though! Lol. Mine gave zero resistance. Just going to treat and spray them next time. Plus gas saved the day on all of the suspension parts tbh.
"I swear mum I did try and sell the roadster"

Silver mr2 2003 FL. Custom Turbo build 209whp. Lots of handling mods.

Honda CR-V The Work Horse

MR TWO

Quote from: shnazzle on May 19, 2018, 07:38
I drive my 2 a lot, as it's my daily, and more and more I am inclined to think if I were to do it again, I would do KYBs, Teins, top mounts, droplinks and throw a brake refresh in to boot.

BUT... When I do have a spirited drive, I love my BC adjustable coilovers. It does make a difference. A big one.
It's the fact that I still have a fair few spirited drives that I haven't sold my BCs.

A spirited drive in my car without the BCs? Meh...
1MZFE, Emerald ECU, LSD, BC coilovers, custom middle & front under brace, F / R strut brace. Slotted discs & yellow pads, Blue flame exhaust.
Carrera leather seats, Davids bars, Focal subwoofer & voce speakers & bling !
TRD Stage 2 F & R spoilers,  Haltezza bonnet, C1 side vents, JDL rear panel

shnazzle

Quote from: MR TWO on May 19, 2018, 19:34
Quote from: shnazzle on May 19, 2018, 07:38

A spirited drive in my car without the BCs? Meh...
Exactly
...neutiquam erro.

ilovejapcrap

Right the top mounts are causing issues.

My mechanic can't get them and I can't find on line. I find it hard to believe they are specific to mr2.

Does anyone know the part no or if they are 100% the same as on another Toyota

Call the midlife!

Quote from: ilovejapcrap on May 20, 2018, 09:38
Right the top mounts are causing issues.

My mechanic can't get them and I can't find on line. I find it hard to believe they are specific to mr2.

Does anyone know the part no or if they are 100% the same as on another Toyota

http://www.tcbparts.co.uk/suspension.htm#Mr2(Suspension)
Assuming he has them in stock, you're better off giving him (Paul) a ring Monday.

Call the midlife!

Might be worthwhile checking out that non standard tyre combination too to see if it's adding to your front end feel.

ilovejapcrap

Quote from: Call the midlife! on May 20, 2018, 09:59
Might be worthwhile checking out that non standard tyre combination too to see if it's adding to your front end feel.

[/quote

Nah that's not an issue just oil less shocks

BahnStormer

I'm looking at refreshing my 60+k mile suspension, so I've just done a test drive in @Smcknighty 's turbo '2 with MeisterR's and I don't think the MeisterR was too harsh at all... I forgot to ask quite what setting he had his on, but we did a route that's just over 25miles of A and B roads that I do on a regular basis and I found the MeisterR's really forgiving - on the really harsh surfaces, it wasn't soaking up quite as much, but certainly worth the slight compromise for how responsively the nose tucks itself into corners!
Black 2006: AC & heated leather: 4x Megillian braces, Koni/Tein custom suspension, MTEC+YS+braided brakes, Toyosports manifold, TTE exhaust, Conti PremiumContact2(summer)/ Conti TS860S(winter) / YokoAD08RS (track/summer), Pioneer MVH-390BT + TS-E171ci, FBSW, Robbins mohair hood.

Smcknighty

They still have a lot more windout to go

Smcknighty

But those tyres have very soft sidewalls, I think the tyres provide most of the suspension at the moment

ilovejapcrap

im having huge issues getting top mounts for front suspension

anyone purchased any of late ?

Call the midlife!

Quote from: ilovejapcrap on June 26, 2018, 11:36

Try asking KTM Rider, I'm sure he fitted new top mounts in the carpark at Ding Day.

shnazzle

Quote from: Call the midlife! on June 26, 2018, 11:45

Try asking KTM Rider, I'm sure he fitted new top mounts in the carpark at Ding Day.

He did not.
Sadly these are one of the more expensive items and one without an aftermarket counterpart.
Options are new (TCB, mr2-ben, or Toyota) or finding a good set from a reasonably young breaker.
...neutiquam erro.

Call the midlife!

Quote from: shnazzle on June 26, 2018, 12:17

He did not.
Sadly these are one of the more expensive items and one without an aftermarket counterpart.
Options are new (TCB, mr2-ben, or Toyota) or finding a good set from a reasonably young breaker.
That's me wrong twice in one day!
Time I gave up...

shnazzle

Quote from: Call the midlife! on June 26, 2018, 12:23

He did not.
Time I gave up...

Nah man! We don't start punishing until strike 3
...neutiquam erro.

Call the midlife!

Quote from: shnazzle on June 26, 2018, 12:31
Quote from: Call the midlife! on June 26, 2018, 12:23

He did not.
Time I gave up...

Nah man! We don't start punishing until strike 3
That Meister buy looks like it'll have a few people doing some man maths! I'll leave it there...

Tags: