A$$ handed to me...respray help

Started by mark1307, May 31, 2018, 15:41

mark1307

As you've probably seen in a couple of threads my 2 is in for some paint work. I've just text the guy and it's STILL not ready as needs buffing today annoying as i took the day off to pick it up!

HOWEVER the initial quote was £450 for front stone chips, engine cover and scuffed skirts plus 3 or 4 car park dings removed by the dent man! On the message he said he couldn't remember price he gave so would check his diary. He went on to say the dent man couldn't sort the dents and so they have filled an resprayed the whole car!!!

SO...
- 1...I didn't want it filling really as i think maybe a different dent man would have sorted them
- 2...was supposed to be a 4 day job but it's been 12 days (no respray takes that long)
- 3...I thought £450 was enough

What do you all recommend if he comes back with a silly money cost!?
Silver...you know you love it!

shnazzle

Simplez. You agreed on 450 and the work (I'm assuming you have this in writing). He decided without your consent to go ahead and respray the car.

His dime and you win.
It's either that or he has to restore the car to the state it was in previously... Good luck with that!
...neutiquam erro.

dan944

If he said £450 then that's the price. If he did more work without asking then it's his fault. Tell him to return it to how you asked it to be for £450 and you'll be in you're way. If he still comes back with silly money speak to citizens advice. I'm pretty sure they can't do that without your explicit permission

You never now. He may be doing it out of good will?
"I swear mum I did try and sell the roadster"

Silver mr2 2003 FL. Custom Turbo build 209whp. Lots of handling mods.

Honda CR-V The Work Horse

dan944

Quote from: shnazzle on May 31, 2018, 15:45
Simplez. You agreed on 450 and the work (I'm assuming you have this in writing). He decided without your consent to go ahead and respray the car.

His dime and you win.
It's either that or he has to restore the car to the state it was in previously... Good luck with that!
Haha. I was typing as this was posted.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mark1307

Quote from: dan944 on May 31, 2018, 15:46
If he said £450 then that's the price. If he did more work without asking then it's his fault. Tell him to return it to how you asked it to be for £450 and you'll be in you're way. If he still comes back with silly money speak to citizens advice. I'm pretty sure they can't do that without your explicit permission

You never now. He may be doing it out of good will?

haha good will indeed! Thanks I'll stick to that and see what he comes back with! Hopefully he put £150 in his 'diary' by accident!!

wotugonado

Phone him now and ask him the total cost before he does any more work, if it's ridiculous tell him to not to carry on. I hope you have it in writing, if you haven't it's hard to prove what he originally quoted you.
---------------Tte turbo----------------
      Graced the tarmac from 2014-2019

mark1307

Thanks all. Reading up on it, I shouldn't have to pay extra if they've done more work than I asked without permission as you've all said.

Obviously, I'm not going to argue over a few quid at all but he'll need to be reasonable!!

StuC

It's potentially tricky if nothing is in writing.
If he is unscrupulous, then he could say you authorised the extra work. Then it becomes you word against his. Tricky!!

Hopefully as Dan said, he is trying to use you as an advert for his good work/will.

As Wotugonado says, get ahead of the game to reduce any further unexpected costs, if it's headed that way.

Keep us informed!
URBAN CUSTARD COLLECTIVE FOUNDING MEMBER

shnazzle

If you can afford it, I'd probably opt for the middle ground. If he's resprayed the whole car I might negotiate a bit extra with the understanding that you're essentially paying for unsolicited work.
That way everybody stays friends.
Sadly this doesn't seem like it's going to be a let's all be friends situation
...neutiquam erro.

wotugonado

If he's done the whole car for £450 I'd  be worried about the quality  :o

dan944

Quote from: wotugonado on May 31, 2018, 18:15
Realistically though it's only costing him paint and time. And only the time is expensive. So if he were to say "have it for £450" he's not physically out of pocket.

Like shnazzle said though. If he says £450 and you dropped him a bit of extra cash for his efforts I suppose it's a win win. Would be interesting to see how it plays out tbh.

wotugonado

I was quoted £450.00 to do front and rear wing and blend into the door and was told it's the prep work that takes all the time, an if the preps poor the end finish will suffer.  Plus if he's quoted for say 3 days and he's done 6 can't see him working for half day rate/hourly rate
Obviously it's all theoretical, he might be an absolute diamond and  OP ends up the winner.
Edit it also seems to be location, generally the more north the better the price  :-\

dan944

Quote from: wotugonado on May 31, 2018, 20:38
Edit it also seems to be location, generally the more north the better the price  :-\m
Isn't that true for everything? Lol

delhusband

Quote from: dan944 on May 31, 2018, 20:46
Quote from: wotugonado on May 31, 2018, 20:38
Edit it also seems to be location, generally the more north the better the price  :-\m
Isn't that true for everything? Lol
Except fuel... :)
Hate pointy animals

mark1307

Quote from: dan944 on May 31, 2018, 18:28
Quote from: wotugonado on May 31, 2018, 18:15
Realistically though it's only costing him paint and time. And only the time is expensive. So if he were to say "have it for £450" he's not physically out of pocket.

Like shnazzle said though. If he says £450 and you dropped him a bit of extra cash for his efforts I suppose it's a win win. Would be interesting to see how it plays out tbh.

Yeah tbh he's said the delay has been to get it right, not to rush etc. etc. He's just text and it's £600 (he had £480 in his book) so I'm not going to argue with an extra £120 and a full respray for £600 - I was quoted between £700 and £1K for a full spray from some other places...unless of course i get there and it's a turd of a job!!

mark1307

forgot to add...I will post some pictures later! Good bad or ugly!!! ;)

dan944

That's not bad at all really.
Kinda makes up for the hassle.

wotugonado

As long as it's not a "turd of a job" I'd say you won hands down.

MR TWO

£600 for a full respray!  Hurrah the beers are on you!
1MZFE, Emerald ECU, LSD, BC coilovers, custom middle & front under brace, F / R strut brace. Slotted discs & yellow pads, Blue flame exhaust.
Carrera leather seats, Davids bars, Focal subwoofer & voce speakers & bling !
TRD Stage 2 F & R spoilers,  Haltezza bonnet, C1 side vents, JDL rear panel

StuC

Quote from: wotugonado on June  1, 2018, 14:30
As long as it's not a "turd of a job" I'd say you won hands down.

What he ^^^ said.

Deffo looking forward to some super shiny pictures.
URBAN CUSTARD COLLECTIVE FOUNDING MEMBER

mark1307

What a winner...she looks great. Definitely needs a wash though as it's pretty dusty where they parked her and the inside needs sorting but overall i had a bit of a result!!

mark1307

mark1307

Sorry about the upside down pictures...

MisterK

Who's just won the lottery then?  :D  What looks like a decent respray for £600 - result.  :)
MARK K - Original Owner/ \'Best In Class\' winner, \'Show n Shine\', MR2DC National Event 2017.

mark1307

Quote from: MisterK on June  1, 2018, 17:53
Who's just won the lottery then?  :D  What looks like a decent respray for £600 - result.  :)

Yeah it looks decent...turns out he 'enjoyed' doing his first MR2 and was really interested in the car and what Midship was all about!

Turns out the F'ing birds are fans of it too...

Tags: