Crunch time. Shnazzle's mr2 part 2

Started by shnazzle, July 6, 2018, 14:17

shnazzle

Quote from: james_ly on July  8, 2018, 20:18
Personally I'd keep driving the existing engine until it becomes undriveable, which could be a while, save up in the meantime. Then go 2zz or k20 depending on costs. That's my plan with my current healthy 100k mile engine.
I will be driving this engine for a bit.

If I go down the route of building a donor oil burner up at Carolyn's, I can then repeat the process on my own engine once the new one is swapped in. I can take my time with that one and sell it or keep it as a spare.

2zz really isn't all that. It is "all that" if you cam it and put a standalone on it like Mike. But it's a lot of money. Money I don't want to spend on a car I paid just over 4k for just short of 4 years ago :)
...neutiquam erro.

lamcote

Quote from: K T M Rider on July  7, 2018, 22:15
Quote from: lamcote on July  7, 2018, 21:30
It really is a bit annoying being left behind on the straights by almost any old diesel hatch though!

And somewhere on a diesel hatch forum someone writes:

"It really is a bit annoying being left behind in the bends and at roundabouts by those poxy hairdresser MR2s "  ;)

Yes that's true but also, if you can't overtake easily, and therefore safely, along the straights you are then left tootling round the corners behind them!
Silver 2004 MR2 -  Unmodified but very shiny.

jvanzyl

This is a good point... It would be frustrating to sit behind cars and having all the fun curves and corners ruined because you can't get past the slow coaches in front.

I hung back alot on the way to ding day as I knew most of the rest of the convoy (Save Dan & Jade) would not be able to pass and we'd break up the convoy...

I guess what I'm saying is that you want turbo like Dans or 2ZZ like Mikes in terms of power, but you want good solid reliable performance....

Have you costed what it would be to do Rotrex either yourself or via headcase?

I'm just wondering if that would be a sweet spot on terms of long term stability, performance and ideal power... If you can get it done in a cost effective way.

And you could use what you've got in terms of emb, and existing hardware till you got the additional funds that unlock more power etc

Sent from my Moto G (5) using Tapatalk

K T M Rider

Quote from: lamcote on July  8, 2018, 21:25
Quote from: K T M Rider on July  7, 2018, 22:15
Quote from: lamcote on July  7, 2018, 21:30
It really is a bit annoying being left behind on the straights by almost any old diesel hatch though!

And somewhere on a diesel hatch forum someone writes:

"It really is a bit annoying being left behind in the bends and at roundabouts by those poxy hairdresser MR2s "  ;)

Yes that's true but also, if you can't overtake easily, and therefore safely, along the straights you are then left tootling round the corners behind them!

Totally see how that can happen, but in all honesty I can't remember a time in over 20,000  miles driving these cars when I've been seriously stuck behind someone. Up here in North Yorks. , pick the right roads at the right times and you've practically got them to yourself anyway  :)
Grey 2012 GT86 / ex 2001 W / 2003 03 /2003 53 MR2s
Orange 2019 Aygo Xcite Daily Driver

StuC

Quote from: jvanzyl on July  8, 2018, 22:17
This is a good point... It would be frustrating to sit behind cars and having all the fun curves and corners ruined because you can't get past the slow coaches in front.

Have you costed what it would be to do Rotrex either yourself or via headcase?

With my stock, I find I can pass things safely and then enjoy the corners.

Rotrex has got to be £4K I would have thought all in. I found that somewhere the other day.
URBAN CUSTARD COLLECTIVE FOUNDING MEMBER

shnazzle

Part of the point is being missed here; budget and/or willingness to spend as much on this car in relation to other life costs.

Don't get me wrong, if I had cash to burn it would be a track-prepped, road-legal, K20 madmachine with a nice cruiser mr2 next to it for me to choose every morning.
I crave the buzz of acceleration as much as the next petrol head. And the ability to just overtake someone without having to make a big show of it (dropping 2 cogs) would be absolutely lovely.
But costs of getting that, weighed up against the expenses or the brutal fact that it's just not the car for that... Just doesn't work for me.

What I can afford is either a half-arsed turbo build (in regards to my now high standards for a turbo build), a lacklustre 2zz "base" build that I may or may not expand on later to get less power than a simple turbo setup, or a very nicely balanced, reliable, perfectly running 1zz.

The 1zz may someday, if lottery strikes, see forced induction. If not, it'll provide me the same thrills mine has done for almost 4 years.
...neutiquam erro.

Justin.D

Quote from: shnazzle on July  8, 2018, 23:01
What I can afford is either a half-arsed turbo build (in regards to my now high standards for a turbo build), a lacklustre 2zz "base" build that I may or may not expand on later to get less power than a simple turbo setup, or a very nicely balanced, reliable, perfectly running 1zz.

The 1zz may someday, if lottery strikes, see forced induction. If not, it'll provide me the same thrills mine has done for almost 4 years.

That bit. That bit right there. That's the answer. No point in being half arsed about it. Do it properly with an eye to the future. Let's face it, the current weather is exactly what the 2's are all about (Well, for me anyway as my burnt forehead will pay testament to)

Click for my Readers Ride

tomaky

If it was me, and i was repeating the same equation i was many moons ago.
Bare in mind i had a similar equation, the car just wasnt fast enough, i would be overtaken on track on a straight by a type R then be stuck behind in a corner. I would personally start building bits up over time to go turbo.
Westfield Seiw
Skoda octavia vrs 2ltr 245bhp petrol 2023 estate
Ex-2011 Skoda Superb Estate 170 CR Daily Driver
Ex - 2005 Porsche Cayman S
Ex - 2003 Sable
Ex- 2000 Pre FL Blue THOR RACING Ex- TURBO
Ex 2004 Blue  Roadster RIP

Carolyn

I'm the type who'll let the lead-foot past on the straight, just so I can get up his arse in the corners and watch to see if he can drive.  They usually can't.

Also, I really don't mind dropping a cog or two if I have to.  It's called a 'gearbox'....

Horses for courses!
Perry Byrnes Memorial Award 2016, 2018.  Love this club. 
https://www.mr2roc.org/forum/index.php?topic=63866.0

jvanzyl

Quote from: Carolyn on July  9, 2018, 08:02
I'm the type who'll let the lead-foot past on the straight, just so I can get up his arse in the corners and watch to see if he can drive.  They usually can't.

Also, I really don't mind dropping a cog or two if I have to.  It's called a 'gearbox'....

Horses for courses!
I can't think of anything more disconcerting than passing Carolyn on a straight and then having her tail gating me through the Twisties... Possibly hearing manic laughing and verbal abuse being directed at me and my poor standard of driving over the wind...

Pity the poor sod in his high power hatch back who has that happen to them!

lamcote

I still believe a Roots supercharger is the ultimate solution, I hate having to rev past 4000, especially because you're still only going quite slowly anyway!

The acceleration of modern cars has improved so much over the last few years it really has left us behind, literally and figuratively.
Silver 2004 MR2 -  Unmodified but very shiny.

HereComesTheWife

Quote from: jvanzyl on July  9, 2018, 08:13
Quote from: Carolyn on July  9, 2018, 08:02

Horses for courses!
I can't think of anything more disconcerting than passing Carolyn on a straight and then having her tail gating me through the Twisties... Possibly hearing manic laughing and verbal abuse being directed at me and my poor standard of driving over the wind...

Pity the poor sod in his high power hatch back who has that happen to them!

Ha ha ha ha! This is so true. Id pull over and let her past (and have a little cry)

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Carolyn

Quote from: lamcote on July  9, 2018, 08:23
I still believe a Roots supercharger is the ultimate solution, I hate having to rev past 4000, especially because you're still only going quite slowly anyway!

The acceleration of modern cars has improved so much over the last few years it really has left us behind, literally and figuratively.

Yep, the Rootes-type supercharger does give that instant bottom-end hit!  I just can't justify spending the extra £2,000 for the ECU and dyno time that are now required.  If one doesn't mind spending the money, it's an elegant solution.

Call the midlife!

So, fag packet maths, roughly how much for some stage 1 cams and flywheel and do you "need" the lightened flywheel? (reading conflicting reviews on idle performance with the lightened flywheel).
As my engine is coming out this winter anyway I'm wondering if it's worth the extra investment while we're at it, depending on what else will need replacing, bearings etc wise for the new cams.?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
60% of the time it works everytime...

jvanzyl

Group buy on stage 1 crowers coming up!

Call the midlife!

Quote from: jvanzyl on July  9, 2018, 09:30
Group buy on stage 1 crowers coming up!

Well you never know...

shnazzle

Quote from: Carolyn on July  9, 2018, 08:39
Quote from: lamcote on July  9, 2018, 08:23

Yep, the Rootes-type supercharger does give that instant bottom-end hit!  I just can't justify spending the extra £2,000 for the ECU and dyno time that are now required.  If one doesn't mind spending the money, it's an elegant solution.

A spare 2k + cash for the kit would be a great thing to have :)
I'd probably take it off your hands if that were the case.
I've always said the only supercharger I'd ever consider on the mr2 would be a roots. Toyota seemed to agree,granted on a 2zz but still.

Quote from: Call the midlife! on July  9, 2018, 08:42
So, fag packet maths, roughly how much for some stage 1 cams and flywheel and do you "need" the lightened flywheel? (reading conflicting reviews on idle performance with the lightened flywheel).
As my engine is coming out this winter anyway I'm wondering if it's worth the extra investment while we're at it, depending on what else will need replacing, bearings etc wise for the new cams.?

You certainly don't need it at all. You may prefer not having it. I haven't decided yet either as it was a bit funny in Bernie's car. You get used to it. It does rev a fair  bit easier. He's got the standalone though so any idling issues etc will have been ironed out anyway.
Cams aren't that wildly far off stock. It's not until you get to stg2 that you start getting the v8 like idling tumble.

A standalone is the only way to really get the best out of the cams. I'll be using my emanage piggyback. Might as well.
I'll definitely be looking to get an ECUMaster on it in due time. Once I have that, the world is my oyster basically as that's the main part of the cost for any other mods. And also the key to be able to do anything else.

For now, stg1 cams with piggyback and the rest of my mods should see me towards low 160s or so. Which is a nice little bump. Standalone opens the door for Stg2 cams if I want to chase revs and higher top end.
...neutiquam erro.

Call the midlife!

I'm not too fussed to be getting into the high revs so I think for starters the stage 1 cams would give me that little bit extra to compensate for my increased weight.

shnazzle

Quote from: Call the midlife! on July  9, 2018, 11:41
I'm not too fussed to be getting into the high revs so I think for starters the stage 1 cams would give me that little bit extra to compensate for my increased weight.

Haha. Yes indeed. The flywheel will have the same effect. Just a little less resistance in getting going
...neutiquam erro.

Call the midlife!

My logic is if I'm rebuilding the top end anyway I might as well do it with a shiny, new set of cams rather than the tired, old originals.
I'm just hoping we have the room and joint abilities to get it done without having to send anything away.

shnazzle

Quote from: Call the midlife! on July  9, 2018, 12:25
My logic is if I'm rebuilding the top end anyway I might as well do it with a shiny, new set of cams rather than the tired, old originals.
I'm just hoping we have the room and joint abilities to get it done without having to send anything away.

Make temporary space in the dining room :)
...neutiquam erro.

Carolyn

The cams (like the cranks) on these are pretty tough.  Remember, change cams and you start again with buckets.  New buckets will certainly frighten your wallet.  Swapping out used ones is, of course, a perfectly OK option ( so long as you don't need fat ones).

shnazzle

Quote from: Carolyn on July  9, 2018, 13:03

The cams (like the cranks) on these are pretty tough.  Remember, change cams and you start again with buckets.  New buckets will certainly frighten your wallet.  Swapping out used ones is, of course, a perfectly OK option ( so long as you don't need fat ones).
Worth highlighting this.
If you look through the history on here you'll see that someone has destroyed their head by slamming in stg2 cams and not checking/adjusting clearances.

Granted there's a fair difference between stg1 and stg2. But just so the right thing :)
...neutiquam erro.

Call the midlife!

Hmmm. Maybe I should just go on a diet??

shnazzle

Quote from: Call the midlife! on July  9, 2018, 13:36
Hmmm. Maybe I should just go on a diet??

Haha that's always an option haha. Or strip out the car :)
...neutiquam erro.

Tags: