Better Exhaust/Engine Note

Started by Baggsy, September 27, 2018, 16:00

Gaz mr-s

It's a black plastic (abs?) pipe wrapped in a stout polythene-like material. A bit reminiscent of the hoods used on toddlers prams as a rain-shield.
Has nobody ever asked this before?

Call the midlife!

Are you talking about the pipe that connects to the airbox or the pipe in the inner wing? I'm lost now..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
60% of the time it works everytime...

Dev

Quote from: jvanzyl on April 26, 2019, 07:37

So what's your view on the TRD air filter? Same as a k&n?

If it uses the same oil gauze type of filter I would avoid it.  TRD might be a division of Toyota but they also peddle in aftermarket nonsense.  I suppose if they are not taking that market share someone else will and thats why they do it. This is not to say that all TRD parts are suspect but over the last 20 years or so they have either rebadged or asked other aftermarket companies to make popular bolt on parts for them. 
With aftermarket air filters there is a benefit but not enough to matter and in some cases you can lose power.  The K&N type filters will be less restrictive but to a certain point where it will be equal to a paper filter as it gets dirty.
When cars were tested between stock and aftermarket  the gains were a lot less than the lofty claims.

Gaz mr-s

Quote from: Call the midlife! on April 26, 2019, 17:18
Are you talking about the pipe that connects to the airbox or the pipe in the inner wing? I'm lost now..

Inside rear wing. Only pipe with any covering.

Petrus

The only hing I can come up with is insulation to reduce condensation on the inside of the rear wing but as it is a plastic pipe that is ?????

Gaz mr-s

Not as it seemed.   It is not a black plastic pipe all the way. The ends are, but inbetween is a 'fabric' tube. It's coloured a pale brown on the inside, & black on the outer. It gives the pipe flexibility.  Perhaps the plastic covering is to stop the material getting condensation if it comes into contact with the inside of the wing.
Why they didn't just use a flexy plastic...... :-\

Call the midlife!

Quote from: Gaz mr-s on April 27, 2019, 10:30
Not as it seemed.   It is not a black plastic pipe all the way. The ends are, but inbetween is a 'fabric' tube. It's coloured a pale brown on the inside, & black on the outer. It gives the pipe flexibility.  Perhaps the plastic covering is to stop the material getting condensation if it comes into contact with the inside of the wing.
Why they didn't just use a flexy plastic...... :-\
That's why I was asking which pipe as I knew it wasn't plastic, I've always assumed it's to absorb moisture from the incoming air to dry it before getting to the filter. Or prevent heat soak from the sun on the wing, either way they've done it for a Toyota reason.[emoji23]

60% of the time it works everytime...

Ozzy

Quote from: Baggsy
Interesting. Any suggestions on which? I've generally found it tricky to get things I want near me!

IF you're looking for the cheapest route possible, why not drill the bottom of the factory airbox? It's FREEE, more induction noise, don't need to declare it as a mod and hardly any heatsoak compared to a cone filter. Just drill loads of tiny 5-6mm holes in the bottom panel of the airbox.

This was one of the first mods I did as a cone filter seemed to make the car sluggish at bottom end. The induction sound of a drilled box is slightly less than a cone filter but still sounds pretty neat. As a bonus, it actually improve throttle response and acceleration for me and no engine management light.

Also if you're still wanting more noise, why not go for an electronic exhaust valve instead of going for a pricey aftermarket exhaust? I have one and it's the best thing ever lol. It lets you choose between stock and loud whenever you want  :D

shnazzle

Cheaper yet (as you're not damaging a stock component) is removing the elbow pipe between the airbox and the opening behind the rear light.
100% reversible and added induction noise. With little to no change in temperature. Probably less so than drilling as you're not sucking rising hot air from below the airbox.

Or... Just leave it and go for exhaust noise. The only induction noise that is attractive is either forced or through independent throttle bodies.
A nicely tuned exhaust scream on the other hand.... Very nice.
...neutiquam erro.

Tags: