Adventures with my road going mr2 roadster

Started by 105e, November 8, 2018, 17:38

105e

Thought i would start one of these, i have plans but we will have to see, so start with simple things.  First thing, and probably strange for the rest of you, but i am not particularly fond of soft tops, so hard top  needs finding.  Originally wanted sable to match the car, but realising this could take ages to source i bought a silver one, which i think looks a rather good combination.. Next job is to change engine/gearbox oil. So removed the 2 rear plastic covers,  held on with a combination or rusty bolts, rusty screw type thread bolts, broken plastic clips and a couple of tye wraps.  Not sure what should be there but will replace bolts with stainless. So changed engine oil/filter will hopefully do g/box tomorrow with the good stuff i see reccomended on here, bought 2 quarts, hope thats enough, think it is i have done some research on here..

shnazzle

A darn good start eh?
Not a problem not liking soft tops. They should be down anyway :)
...neutiquam erro.

105e

Mine is definitely down, my plan is to actually remove it which will hopefully make room for a little parcel shelf..  While under the car i noticed rust starting to formulate in several areas,  The underseal appears very thin in places, so for now i will brush some waxoyl on , then come summer i will attack these areas and hopefully eradicate it completely and reseal with something suitable.  Not too keen on that bit of flywheel being uncovered, bit disconcerting having it spinning around just above you,  will probably make a cover at sometime.

Joesson

@105e said-  "bit disconcerting having it spinning around just above you,  will probably make a cover at sometime".

I do hope that your car is well supported if the flywheel is spinning above your head!
IIRC there is a  quadrant chord  shaped plastic cover over the opening on my 2, perhaps yours is missing, likely available from the " breaker" on here.

@105e - Amended to satisfy the pedantic trait in me.

105e

Maybe a piece missing then,  very well supported on my home made full stainless steel ramps, so well made i now struggle to lift them..

105e

Had this a while now, and done a few miles, love it and i had big plans.  Unfortunately a few weeks after buying it my back started playing up (had this issue a little while now) and being old and stiff as a board plus my back i struggle to get in and out of it, and can hardly walk properly for a few steps after exiting. So modifications will certainly not happen, and although im not throwing in the towel too quickly i even think long term ownership may not happen..

shnazzle

Funny you should say.

It's odd but when I did my back in, the MR2 was the only car I could be in comfortably without it absolutely killing my back.
And by that I mean my MR2. Oddly, when I drive Helen's, it hurts my back!

Maybe it's something as simple as a seat setting such as the seat lowering.

Or is it just the getting in/out? I've seen someone put a strap on their hard top to help pull themselves out of the car.

What I used to do was swing legs over out of the car, then slide from the seat onto the sill. From the sill it was very easy to get up using legs instead of back.
...neutiquam erro.

105e

Actually i do use the sill, in and out. If i was being watched i wouldnt actually get out, i would sit in it or drive of, can imagine what watchers would be saying while watching me, would include the words old f**t..

delhusband

My right knee takes the brunt getting in and out, especially with it being lowered and me being a porky. Back's ok though, find it quite comfy once in
Hate pointy animals

Chriss

It is pretty much the same as getting out of my old Supra, hand on sill the prop myself out.

105e

Passed mot today,  no advisories, although i did adjust the handbrake cable first. (guessing many mr2,s are running around with the 2 front screws from the  console not being replaced, what a fiddle, )  My back has been much better lately so i think we do have a future together, bought several new parts that i do not need at the moment.

Chilli Girl

Good news Audie and well done on the MOT pass.  Happy days. :)
Ex owners of Chilli red facelift 52 reg called Chilli, silver 55 reg called Foxy and blue pfl W reg MR-S called Sapphire. Now 2 less!

105e

Attempting photo of my car ,Edit  unfortunately my back is bad again and when i get out of the car i can hardly walk, so i think (pretty certain really) that my ownership will be short, driving my wifes car with a much more upright position i have no issues.

105e

Update, had no more back issues but the  the next issue is my approaching retirement which may financially mean no more toys,  but i will worry about that at the time,as i just love driving this car.. So managed to find a sable hard top which is a slightly different shade but fine for me. Have bought and fitted the snelbard? breast plate, also bought the barbarian mid brace,  yet to be fitted. Have bought the whiteline front arb, just waiting on some new drop links. Have also bought the mr2 ben ducktail rear spoiler which i will probably wait a while before attempting fitting.. Really fancy doing the honda k20 conversion  but its too expensive for me. Turbo conversion would be cheaper, would look to make my own ex manifold and system. Anyone seen the latest "project blinky" episode, room for thought with the ex manifold..  Nearly forgot, following suggestion on here i bought and have had fitted 2 rear T1r,s, from i forget now,  dam this old age, only paid just over £100 for the pair but i think 225 is too wide for a 7 inch rim.. This is quite handy as while getting the tyres fitted the fitter showed me i have a buckled rim (wondered why it had so many weights on it when i bought the car) . Good excuse to get a pair of 8 inch wide for the rear, which will help in the looks dept.

105e

I definitely cannot afford to do this, and no doubt these and any other parts i buy will be advertised for sale on here within the next 12 months, but i have just ordered the engine/ gearbox mounts for the k20 conversion. As they say only here once and my once is probably coming to its end so lets go for it.  I want to go faster and i just dont fancy a turbo.. Quick edit, Its obvious postage would be more than something coming from just down the road and i was aware of import tax but apart from the adaptor to use the existing gear change arrangement i dont really want to get anything else from across the pond. EDIT  Ordered tuesday,  arrived friday, thats quicker than stuff i order in this country, pretty impressed. EDIT Have now got type r 6 speed box, have ordered a taller 6th gear for it, Driveshafts are on order, and i should be picking up a civic type r engine at the weekend. I am now spent out and the rest will have to wait a while.  I suppose i should sell my 50,000 mile mr2 and buy one with a blown engine to release some funds but i just like it.. I picked up the engine, was told definitely lowish mileage and definitely a good one. Got it home and removed spark plugs to turn it over, it turned easily enough but a jet of water spurted into the air, a complete bore full i reckon. Seller agreed to take it back, so got refund but wasted 6 hours of my time and a few gallons of petrol.. (EDIT  tuesday 19th nov 05-30)  Bought another engine,  should be delivered later today..edit 24/12/19 Driveshafts arrived a few days ago

105e

Decided it was time to fit my megillian front strut brace, as it had been in my possession for 2 hours now.  Not 100% happy with it as it hits the frunk on the passenger side, will have to address it at sometime..  (was going to attempt a photo but i forget how)... 

Tags: