Southern Belle

Started by Petrus, December 19, 2018, 19:35

Petrus

Done and done. Filter element now drying out.
When done together, the MAF sensor housing can stay in the filter box top even. Cleaning the sensor is then done in seconds.
Wow, the sun came out so put the element in the warming rays and dzzzzt.....
Hauled a few bales to the paddock with pup racing up and down.
Filter and box reassembled.
Have not started the engine as I do not like doing this when not actually going for spin. 

Petrus

Fínally a bit of rain here. Not raín rain as in water in the river, but wet it is.
Did not pull the soft top up because there is under roof parking at the watering hole so extra enjoyed the tonneau.
Also extra enjoyed the traction thing of  suspension compliance. More lowering/stiffening, adding another chassis brace would make the car more of a handful on, even the here relatively good, real world wet roads.

The relative pussy footing about provokes more pops in the exhaust because of the slight leak. Véry enjoyable audible top down in the drizzle.

Hail tonneau  ;D

Petrus

Just hooked the old skool looking smart charger up to the battery in the car.
Leaving it till sunny Sunday (24 degrees!  expected next week) is no doubt ok, but have done short drives only and was curious about how much it would still hold; 75%.
Lóve that little thing in the itsiebitsie  8)   LiFe sure gets charged up faster than the pickled plumbum.

Petrus

Pff, not fun this

J88TEO

Not easy...LOL

Petrus

Quote from: J88TEO on December 15, 2023, 15:34Not easy...LOL

Dóne though.

Next time fit a new crush gasket.

Petrus

Just given the mini battery of the itsiebitsie a boost using the lardie of the resident female.
Made easier by having replaced the rear locking mechanism with a pin lock. Just lift the rear of the cover, push the button and I can lift the lid.
No need to take most of the cover off to open the door.
Unintentional bonus that!

Petrus

Just done photos, measurements and sketches on the tablet. Want to 3D print inserts for the holes in the door panels left by removal of the grab bars.

J88TEO

large rubber blanking grommets?

Petrus

Quote from: J88TEO on January 31, 2024, 16:40large rubber blanking grommets?

Could do, but the top one is a bit odd shaped half circle ánd my #1 son lóves 3D printing things for me.

Petrus

DARN  :o

Been asked if I am interested in buying a 1ZZ-FE TRD supercharger kit.

Well no.
But .... yes  :-[
Would be interesting in my lightweight. Never mind any top end increase, just the low end oomph  >:D 
I mean, look at the graph at the end:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QUQvqL7wKW8

For one I have no qualms about a hatch in the bulkhead. Secondly I have ample slush funds. Also pretty competent body repairer, mechanics and machine shop next to eachother a 1 km. Lastly have other daily.

So, depends.
To be continued--- (may take a while, quite a while)
Am busy with the Nimbus and the Vespa anyway  ;)

jvanzyl

Quote from: Petrus on February  9, 2024, 19:23DARN  :o

Been asked if I am interested in buying a 1ZZ-FE TRD supercharger kit.

Well no.
But .... yes  :-[
Would be interesting in my lightweight. Never mind any top end increase, just the low end oomph  >:D 

For one I have no qualms about a hatch in the bulkhead. Secondly I have ample slush funds. Also pretty competent body repairer, mechanics and machine shop next to eachother a 1 km. Lastly have other daily.

So, depends.
To be continued--- (may take a while, quite a while)
Am busy with the Nimbus and the Vespa anyway  ;)

Is it just the physical kit or does it include the ECU? If not management then the other part of the decision is what ecu and if there is a decent local mapper that supports it...

But please go for it! 😁

Petrus

Quote from: jvanzyl on February  9, 2024, 21:24Is it just the physical kit or does it include the ECU? If not management then the other part of the decision is what ecu and if there is a decent local mapper that supports it...

But please got for it! 😁

The TRD kit came with a piggyback ecu which only controlled the additional fifth injector by copying what the car´s ECU tells the injectors to do. As such it basically did the same as the MAF mod dropping in bigger injectors.  It relies on the stock ECU to sort out the fuelling. The installation manual even says so in the faults chart. It has indeed been proven that the fifth injector can be omitted entirely and replaced by said bigger injectors. 
The fifth injector is obviously adding 25% capacity which is about the same as the yellow 2ZZ ones in the MAF mod.
It shoúld all work a treat.

So fingers crossed; twice. First for it being in good condition and reasonably priced. Next the fitting. Reading the TRD manual I cannot see any challenge apart from the bulkhead. Nothing an angle grinder can´t solve. No seriously, a bit more discreet nibbler will do.
Anyway, told the seller I am most definitely interested.

jvanzyl

Quote from: Petrus on February  9, 2024, 21:56The TRD kit came with a piggyback ecu which only controlled the additional fifth injector by copying what the car´s ECU tells the injectors to do. As such it basically did the same as the MAF mod dropping in bigger injectors.  It relies on the stock ECU to sort out the fuelling. The installation manual even says so in the faults chart. It has indeed been proven that the fifth injector can be omitted entirely and replaced by said bigger injectors. 
The fifth injector is obviously adding 25% capacity which is about the same as the yellow 2ZZ ones in the MAF mod.
It shoúld all work a treat.

So fingers crossed; twice. First for it being in good condition and reasonably priced. Next the fitting. Reading the TRD manual I cannot see any challenge apart from the bulkhead. Nothing an angle grinder can´t solve. No seriously, a bit more discreet nibbler will do.
Anyway, told the seller I am most definitely interested.

All I heard was "I'm going to leave the MAF mod in place, add a 2zz injector as the fifth and install the TRD kit"  ;)
Because it should work right?? 

Petrus

He is digging all he has out and coming back to me. Fingers still crossed.

Petrus

Quote from: jvanzyl on February 10, 2024, 08:35leave the MAF mod in place,

Should take the MAF spacer back out though; dé-advance low rev ignition timing.

Petrus

btw., the TTE turbo is a PÍNG perspective* : It uses the standard air filter, MAF and injectors and only a rudimentary intercooler.
The TTE power of say 180-185 hp is móre than I aspire. I would be quite content with not much more max power but ´just´ even more instant throttle response and a fatter torque curve. In all realism, the engine currently pumps out easily enough top end power to overdo things here with my superlightweight.

* have both the TTE turbo and the TRD supercharger manuals downloaded and read for prep and reference.

Ardent

I rarely use the available bhp.
The 50% extra torque. All the time.  >:D

Petrus

Quote from: Ardent on February 11, 2024, 17:49I rarely use the available bhp.
The 50% extra torque. All the time.  >:D

>:D  :))

Petrus

Plugs for the door cards printed.
Fingers x-ed they fit  :-*

Petrus

Test fitted and YES! Just need a drop of glue to make extra sure they are not shaken out.

The ´kit´

Was rather chuffed btw. Had not used the car for too long. Gf life got in the way so although I did keep the tiny battery from going flat, the engine had not turned over for ... dunno exactly, but say two months. It bárked into life first revolution of the crank.
The drizzle restarted and with the muddy sahara dust painting the wet tarmac red did not take her out. Next week if even marginally possible: The new gf has suggested a naughty photo session  O:-)   Nooooo don´t worry; will under new management here not share in anywhichway ;)

p.s. checked and... make that three months. Shameful really.

Petrus

Running with the idea of @J88TEO to get air from the side vent more directly to the hole in the rear inner wheel well.
It applies to any car with the OEM air box.

The crux is the temperature of the intake air.
The OEM design breathes in from a hole in the side wall of the engine room, under the fuse box. The air comes from the side vent. Unfortunately it a bit of an indirect route and as a result not all the air taken in is fresh from the outside and the lower the speed, the less fresh air thus higher the temp.
Thát has more impact than realised by most:

The above graph rates the volume in ml in syringe but this can, multiplied by 10, read as %.
Meaning that air at 40 degrees C is about 10% less dense than at 20 degrees C. and at 80 degrees we are talking 30%.
This air volume ´equals´ engine output. It explains why dynometer runs are not the same as driving.

Bottom line is the importance of a cool engine room to have a cool as possible inlet tract and entry of cool as possible air.

I have done quite a lot for the former and now trying to get air more directly from the side vent.

An OBD2 reader app will read the temp registered by the MAF sensor.  Be aware that this is befóre any warming up further up stream. 

Nvy

Quote from: Petrus on April  7, 2024, 17:31Running with the idea of @J88TEO to get air from the side vent more directly to the hole in the rear inner wheel well.
It applies to any car with the OEM air box.

The crux is the temperature of the intake air.
The OEM design breathes in from a hole in the side wall of the engine room, under the fuse box. The air comes from the side vent. Unfortunately it a bit of an indirect route and as a result not all the air taken in is fresh from the outside and the lower the speed, the less fresh air thus higher the temp.
Thát has more impact than realised by most:

The above graph rates the volume in ml in syringe but this can, multiplied by 10, read as %.
Meaning that air at 40 degrees C is about 10% less dense than at 20 degrees C. and at 80 degrees we are talking 30%.
This air volume ´equals´ engine output. It explains why dynometer runs are not the same as driving.

Bottom line is the importance of a cool engine room to have a cool as possible inlet tract and entry of cool as possible air.

I have done quite a lot for the former and now trying to get air more directly from the side vent.

An OBD2 reader app will read the temp registered by the MAF sensor.  Be aware that this is befóre any warming up further up stream. 

Side wont feed any cold air tbh. You would need a funnel that sticks quite a lot to do that. These are are not porsche style vents where the body work is guiding air in.

Petrus

Have you looked at where the OEM inlet sucks in from?
The idea @J88TEO came up with is to let the intake suck air from the side entry more directly instead of indirectly from the engine room. N.a. benefits from every marginal gain it can get. In this case for near free. Why not give it a try.  After all my car is transformed by adding up even more marginal gains.

Gibla

re ' Why not give it a try'

I was 95% there about 12 months ago, just needed something small fabricating (a small adaptor pipe) but sadly this was never completed or pursued.

Fresh cold intake air has to help.....as an added bonus the car should sound better also
stock 2001 Dark Green MR-S (6R4)
stock 2004 Black - repurchased from guy who bought yellow 'un

Tags: