Southern Belle

Started by Petrus, December 19, 2018, 19:35

Petrus

Quote from: shnazzle on April  8, 2019, 16:04
Very very nice. The best shoes and feet in my opinion

Bit the bullet last week.
Despite sweet weekend, teeth still hurt.
So thanks for conforming.

Petrus

Mountain girl went through her box of watches over the weekend and kept two apart for me to give my opinion about.
One she thought too childish for her nowadays.
Right up my street  :D  and totally befitting my take on the MR2  ;)

So I cleaned the watch thoroughly and sport it on the wrist.
It is the first ´Doraemon´ G-shock and I lóve it!

Petrus

Carolyn

I just don't know how you manage in the face of such adversity.
Perry Byrnes Memorial Award 2016, 2018.  Love this club. 
https://www.mr2roc.org/forum/index.php?topic=63866.0

paulj

I see blue skies - time to get that hard top off again!
Today
2000 x reg pfl - blue - as original no mods
In the late 1980's
1982 x reg Toyota Corolla Liftback Coupe (also blue)
1978 s reg Mitsubishi Celeste Coupe (yellow)

Petrus

Quote from: paulj on April 10, 2019, 19:01
I see blue skies -

It that all you see? Oh mán  (:< >:)

OK. Out again for another spin; Doraemon hunting Pokeball  :P

shnazzle

Soooo... A spin on the Enkeis with AD08s... Do tell!
Significantly reduced unsprung weight... It's gotta be good!
...neutiquam erro.

Petrus

Quote from: shnazzle on April 10, 2019, 22:22
Soooo... A spin on the Enkeis with AD08s... Do tell!
Significantly reduced unsprung weight... It's gotta be good!

And véry good it is  :D

Did a few test laps.
First scrubbed them in.
That also gave me the feel of the new set up and put some temperature in the tyres.
Then pushed them gradually more till the car was sliding over all four through the industrial estate corners.
Also did enough laps on the roundabout to get the feel of understeer and pedal lift oversteer.
Now some observations.

The objective ones:
- They are líght. Indeed only 4.4 kg. and with the bonus of the AD08Rs being lighter than the ones I had fitted, 12 kilos were shed, including 0.5 kilo on the wheel nuts.
- Because of the deep bed design giving structural strength, there is véry little room between the brake caliper and the rim. Balancing weights clear only júst; that close they are.
- The different lug seats make that the studs sit deeper in the hole and thus the lugs have significantly less thread than the OEM shouldered ones. I am very happy to have gone for high tensile steel ones.
- The ET37 increases the scrub radius and that múst be the reason for the to my surprise easier steering at parking ´speed´. I can only explain this by the tyre now rolling just that bit more, less twisting. Weird because it is only 10 mm. but noticeable it is and the grippier rubber can not be the reason.

A safe one:
I am convinced that the deep bed profile and six double spoke design in forged/spun high quality alu alloy makes for a structurally very strong wheel. Enkei tests them to exceed the JWL (Japan Wheel Light Metal) standards by 20%.
I would expect them to be stronger than the cast OEM rims. Secondly they are of tougher material so will bend rather than break.

The subjective ones:
I need to start with pointing out that I have gone from cheap tyres on OEM rims to AD08Rs on Enkei RPF1s; meaning the subjective is a bit mixed up.
Nevertheless:
- The Advans are much stiffer in the sidewall. Steering is a lot more direct, lighter and understeer is deminished.
The lighter rims múst have an effect here too but that is all I can say because the AD08R sidewall is the biggy in this one.
- Another biggy is improved road contact and the resulting feel. Now thát is mostly the effect of the lighter rims. Over the cobblestones the stiffer Yokos should give a harsher ride but it is smoother. Thus the lighter rims more than compensate for the stiffer sidewall. Go figure on tarmac.
- Despite the much stiffer tyres, the comfort has improved and the better feel inspires confidence.
- The wheels feel less cumbersome. Undoubtedly from the combination.  Some of the lightness lost by removing the power steering has returned (tyres) but with the incréased feel of the better road contact (wheels).

The no one:
- Because of the waywáy better tyres there is no way to say anything about the effect of the Enkeis on accelleration or braking.

Petrus

The bonus ones:
- The blokes at the tyre place, mechanics and customers, all thought the car looks different, better; ´lo suyo!´.
- I have received two whatsaps from friends who had seen me, telling me they like the new look so it must be noticeable :-)

The personal one:
I think the OEM wheels look very good. They look lithe but also a bit sweet, dare I say...´nice´.
The RPF1s add a 180 degree different element to the car; I think they look serious, dare I say... F1.

Petrus

Just thought of something. In retrospect should have measured it. The deep bed of the rim increases the air chamber inside.

Petrus

The weather cleared up yesterday with ditto forecasted for the next few days, so took the hardtop off before I went down to the coast.

Joesson

Not a lot of room for error there! If your 2 is on a public road the Health and Safety Executive, or whatever such an organisation is called in Spain, must take a very different view of potential hazards than in the UK as I'm  sure that unguarded road edge wouldn't be "allowed" here.
But then again we don't try to outrun or fight bulls.  ;)

shnazzle

Quote from: Joesson on April 11, 2019, 20:50
Not a lot of room for error there! If your 2 is on a public road the Health and Safety Executive, or whatever such an organisation is called in Spain, must take a very different view of potential hazards than in the UK as I'm  sure that unguarded road edge wouldn't be "allowed" here.
But then again we don't try to outrun or fight bulls.  ;)
And this is exactly what's wrong with the UK.
Too much handholding. Too much "don't worry about it, we'll protect you, no need for common sense and care".

As a foreigner I'm fully qualified to say that the biggest (if not, one of the only) downsides of the UK is the ridiculous nanny-state attitude, "health and safety" and lack of accountability. Things can't possibly be your fault. There's always someone to blame. At no point is it "well shit, there's a gaping hole in in the pavement, I should have paid attention instead of staring at my phone". No. It's "I'M GOING TO SUE YOU FECKERS! I'M going to ruin your life and have your kids taken from you! Hahahaha"

.. And there endeth the dodgy foreigner's rant
...neutiquam erro.

Joesson

Unlike the above Scribe I'm of British birth but partly from Southern European stock, nevertheless I don't disagree with said Scribe's argument.
However, I am of an age where I can remember when "things" were different, you were responsible for your actions. What changed this?
I suggest that the UK took the absolute letter of each and every dictate passed by the European Parliament and applied it here, whereas, perhaps those " dictates were not so strongly applied in other parts of Europe.
The "Blame Culture" that now exists here is exacerbated by the  sharks with their "Cash for crash" and some people do like to take advantage.

Petrus

Meanwhile, under the southern sun, I am enjoying my life, my car, to the limits under my own judgement, assuming my own responsbilities.

Been doing tthe enjoying bit all morning. Júst finished lateláte breakfast; grated tomatoe on toasted bread covered with a bit of extra virgin olive oil. Sprinkling of coarse salt.... Freshly pressed orange/mandarin juice, hand pulled cappuccino hmmmmm. Oh and some papaya.
Last of the coffee beans btw so will be popping out to get a bag of Ethiopean Arabica in a moment with the southern belle next to me in top down Southern Belle.

Unbelievably clear blue skies so will try take some snap shots if/when I can stop in the scenery.

p.s. about the bridge. The locals are ever so pleased with it. Untill 8 years ago they had to ford this river. Whenever it rained they were cut off.  Made a big stink when an abuelo was washed away in his 4x4 when the water prooved to high.

Also, this country is about 1.000 x 1.000 kilometers, with hígh mountains, with húge bits unihabited; even the only true desert of Europe.
You can still live real adventures here. ´Adventure´ per definition meaning that the unexpected wíll happen, that you need to pack common sense and be sufficiently capable to hold you own.
Did 4.000 kilometers of which 2.400 unpaved, through the least inhabited parts last year with my then 16 y.o. son in a 35 y.o. DAF 77 (Volvo 340).
Dare to live  :D

Petrus

Quote from: Petrus on April 12, 2019, 11:38
Did 4.000 kilometers of which 2.400 unpaved, through the least inhabited parts last year with my then 16 y.o. son in a 35 y.o. DAF 77 (Volvo 340).
Dare to live  :D

This was the year before with the 55 Marathon...

Ardent

Quote from: shnazzle on April 11, 2019, 21:01
And this is exactly what's wrong with the UK.
Too much handholding. Too much "don't worry about it, we'll protect you, no need for common sense and care".

As a foreigner I'm fully qualified to say that the biggest (if not, one of the only) downsides of the UK is the ridiculous nanny-state attitude, "health and safety" and lack of accountability. Things can't possibly be your fault. There's always someone to blame. At no point is it "well poopoo, there's a gaping hole in in the pavement, I should have paid attention instead of staring at my phone". No. It's "I'M GOING TO SUE YOU FECKERS! I'M going to ruin your life and have your kids taken from you! Hahahaha"

.. And there endeth the dodgy foreigner's rant
As an Englishman, I can not let the above "dodgy foreigner's rant" pass without comment.
You Sir, are spot on.
Though, I tend to blame the Americans for the blame culture. But sadly, it is us, that have followed it.

I'm trying to find a particular section from "Yes Minster" that echoes your observations.

Ardent

Dear @Petrus

Just for clarity
Could you list exactly what I'm looking at re the enkei and tyre combo.

You on stock springs or lowered?

Petrus

Quote from: Ardent on April 12, 2019, 23:29
Just for clarity
Could you list exactly what I'm looking at re the enkei and tyre combo.

You on stock springs or lowered?

7J 15 all four.
195/55 R15 Front
205/50 R15 Rear
Stock suspension.

I am an ardent  ;) follower of as soft as possible without having the door handles scraping on the ground when cornering hard, long wheel travel for better road contact.
The lowering has downsides that hamper roadworthyness on the open road.

The above featured DAF77/Volvo340 is a perfect example. For the 2400 kms unmetalled going we raised it 5 cms. with longer springs up front and extra ones at the back, nót stiffening up the spring rate nor the damping.
The tyres are 155/80.
The thing wallows like a Spanish galleon but even on tarmac (real word mountain road tarmac) we were a véry hard act to follow because all four tyres kept in contact with the surface. An experienced gentleman racer in a 500 hp Jaguar by Ford had to let us go on the touge route in the South.
Ditto a 911. They very sportingly let us pass when we were on their bumpers. Some others were not so sporting so we had to barge through. Simply shoved it up the inside with nó way of making a proper corner but they could not pass on the exit anyway with us in the middle of the road  ;D We even passed an Elise but that driver had véry nearly lost it over a cliff edge in a descend and was shitting himself.
The thing is you need balls to throw a soft sprung car like that about but it although unsettling to do and scary to watch, it is quite safe as you do have contact with the road.

Again; as soft as possible without wearing the door handles = best road compliance.

Joesson

After reading that am I wrong in thinking Renault Citroen2CV suspension, but more of a stallion in the engine department?

Oops, corrected after Petrus's reference to the ( Renault) R4. A car that I liked but never got around to, I thought of it as a "better" built 2CV both cars are very utilitarian but very fit for purpose.

Petrus

Quote from: Joesson on April 13, 2019, 11:34
After reading that am I wrong in thinking Renault 2CV suspension, but more of a stallion in the engine department?

The 2cv is a good example. Even leaning over at the silliets angles on the skinniest of tyres they keep surprising road contact.

The R4 is another example, better still even. Just that bit less travel with ditto firmer springs/damping, slighty wider rubber and arguably one of the best, if not outright best, engines of all time and they are stíll the cars to beat in raids. They even have the legs of the old 4x4 Pandas!!
Ok, so the cushy concept does not work on a speed racing circuit but again, the real world road is more like narrow track rallycross!!!
Same goes for wide track body of modern ´sports´cars:
The above mentioned Jag. could not go round many corners smoothly because the car hardly fit! The thing is that a 2 meter wide car on a 3,0/3,5 meter wide lint of tarmac looks comfortably fitting but we all know that the rear wheels cut corners = make the car wíder, as does any overhang at both ends. A 90 degree turn before of after a bridge with concret markers is... :o

Between the nauseatingly floppy 2cv on 80 section and a fillings jarring hard M4 on 30 sections lies a world of better real world compromises. The by the motoring press hallowed ´sports´ cars are not in that section. By the more enthusiast than knowledgable readers they are seen as a benchmark they are not.
I very much appreciate the Spitit team videos as is becomes clear that Touge set up and track set up are way different. Now imagine that the Touge competition is the race version of riding on the open road which needs a step softer still!

Petrus

Back in the mountains and stúnning weather.
25 degrees midday!!

Later in the afternoon asked mountain girl out for a ride. I warmed the rubber up (the increased grip amazed her) and we swapped places on the now deserted industrial estate.
She is not one to throw it round but I told her to brake, bráke , BRÁKE. She could not believe how the thing grips the road and stops.
You ain´t seen nothing yet and I took over. A lap to heat the rubber up and dropped the anchors from about 100 km/h. Eyes wide open, jaw dropped.
Tarmac some 30-35 degree, rubber a bit warmer and indeed stopping short.
She gets the extra grip cornering but is not all that in favour of that, less still at the price it comes at, but the braking... SOLD!!  :D

She suggested a drink and tapas in Talillas restaurant, one of the rally sponsors. Please a detour over town square so she could wave at friends ;)
Antonio, the restaurant owner, came outside for a look and chat about the car. ´If we enter it in any competition´ he said ´count with me!´.

Ardent

Petrus

Went down to the coast for two days with nurse-love. Had lunch with curly-girly and then back up into the mountains.
At the coast roads were wet, back up wet/damp.
The feel of the AD08Rs is confidence inspiring. That is hpowever a double edged sword as I found myself doing silly speeds on the mountain roads  :-[
Found the limits too  :-[ :-[  On the whettish the ´snap´ is almost back. Still easy to catch though. Even in a corner on a nárrow strip of tarmac. Phew.
The lesson is try it out on the industrial estate track a bit more in the wet.
Áwesome grip though  ;D

Had a notice in the post that the head steady mounting kit is in the post office. Religious festive days though and it ís a mountain village, so it may not open till Monday.

Rain forecasted till at léast Monday, so it´s hard top swap time again.

p.s. just received a link from a friend in the ´city´ up the road, at the other end of a stunning touge route from the village.
Her front door is the half open one on the right.

https://www.laopiniondemalaga.es/municipios/2019/04/16/cabras-montesas-pasean-archidona/1082542.html?fbclid=IwAR01-ZxdUTiai1-z-pZ9fEBYRcD97HPvioQo6HphkOBJWFjW2mokWqjnoMc

These mountain goats; Ibex, were the staple diet of the Neanderthal population that lived here in the region from some 200.000 - 40.000 b.c. in the Boquete de Zaffaraya and the Cueva de la Grajas in Archidona.

Nvy

Quote from: Petrus on April 18, 2019, 13:52
Went down to the coast for two days with nurse-love. Had lunch with curly-girly and then back up into the mountains.
At the coast roads were wet, back up wet/damp.
The feel of the AD08Rs is confidence inspiring. That is hpowever a double edged sword as I found myself doing silly speeds on the mountain roads  :-[
Found the limits too  :-[ :-[  On the whettish the ´snap´ is almost back. Still easy to catch though. Even in a corner on a nárrow strip of tarmac. Phew.
The lesson is try it out on the industrial estate track a bit more in the wet.
Áwesome grip though  ;D

Had a notice in the post that the head steady mounting kit is in the post office. Religious festive days though and it ís a mountain village, so it may not open till Monday.

Rain forecasted till at léast Monday, so it´s hard top swap time again.

p.s. just received a link from a friend in the ´city´ up the road, at the other end of a stunning touge route from the village.
Her front door is the half open one on the right.

https://www.laopiniondemalaga.es/municipios/2019/04/16/cabras-montesas-pasean-archidona/1082542.html?fbclid=IwAR01-ZxdUTiai1-z-pZ9fEBYRcD97HPvioQo6HphkOBJWFjW2mokWqjnoMc

These mountain goats; Ibex, were the staple diet of the Neanderthal population that lived here in the region from some 200.000 - 40.000 b.c. in the Boquete de Zaffaraya and the Cueva de la Grajas in Archidona.

Mine arrived too. I have filled the front and rear mount with urethane glue and the vibration is not that bad to be honest so its worth to check on that :)

Tags: