205/50 R15 front wubbah

Started by Petrus, January 9, 2019, 19:23

Petrus

My 2003 imported (by Toyota Spain) pre fl comes with a special observation on the vehicle registration tech specs.: That it is homologated for 205/50R15 at the front.
Why would Toyota have told the DoT to put that on?!

Joesson

@Petrus
While I believe it is generally not a good idea to presume that is what I will suggest on this occassion.
As you will likely know from your 2's handbook the recommended PFL tyre sizes are
205/50R15 Rear and 185/55 R15 Front.
That is what a Toyota Main Agent fitted when they serviced the car and  renewed my tyres in 2013.
At the next service in 2014 they carried out a " Visual Health Check" and noted the tread depths and listed the tyres as 185/55 R15 on all 4 wheels.
Of course not all cars have different size tyres and/ or wheels front and rear as does our 2 and the "tester" in my case, perhaps,looked only at the front tyre for the size.
I suggest in your case a similar error from whoever it was that did the documentation.
But convincing an awkward/ pedantic  examiner may be difficult for you.

BahnStormer

Toyota (Kingston) did the same for mine - except even worse at it was a facelift, so apparently I've got 215/45/16's on the front of mine!!

It wasn't an MOT, just a service, but I think it will be the last time I take it to them as they also were insisting they should be allowed to replace the brake fluid because the log book says it is overdue and "it's probably dangerous by now", even though I'd just had mine replaced with 5DOT1 when the brakes and pads had been done 5 days earlier...

I'm all up for keeping main dealer service histories, but mine isn't all Toyota anyway and as far as I can tell, they're not worth taking your car to, even it if was the same price as a good local indy.... and it's not!
Black 2006: AC & heated leather: 4x Megillian braces, Koni/Tein custom suspension, MTEC+YS+braided brakes, Toyosports manifold, TTE exhaust, Conti PremiumContact2(summer)/ Conti TS860S(winter) / YokoAD08RS (track/summer), Pioneer MVH-390BT + TS-E171ci, FBSW, Robbins mohair hood.

Joesson

Mr T, Main Agent servicing was what I had on my first 4 years of ownership, simply because I " thought" that was the right thing to do. I booked my first  service for the  day after purchase. I then signed up for 3 years at a " preferential rate".
The car was always washed and vacuumed but I am truly unsure what else was done.
On some of the services they noted a leaking water pump, that is still on the car in my 8 th year of ownership and I cannot see a leak nor does it loose fluid. It lost fluid from a leaky rad. I found that 6 months after Mr T changed the coolant at around £100, and the car wasn't used in the interim. It was at that time the  service contract ended and I parted company with Mr T. Also, no air filter or plugs where found to be necessary during the contract.
I now maintain the car myself. It is MOT'd by an independent garage, the owner of which has asked to buy my car when I want to sell, such is the ( poor) state of my 2 without the "care" of Mr T.
PS. I've had a thought about why the above could be the case and will put it into my Thought for the day thread.

Petrus

Quote from: Joesson on January 15, 2019, 10:45
@Petrus
While I believe it is generally not a good idea to presume that is what I will suggest on this occassion.
As you will likely know from your 2's handbook the recommended PFL tyre sizes are
205/50R15 Rear and 185/55 R15 Front.
That is what a Toyota Main Agent fitted when they serviced the car and  renewed my tyres in 2013.
At the next service in 2014 they carried out a " Visual Health Check" and noted the tread depths and listed the tyres as 185/55 R15 on all 4 wheels.
Of course not all cars have different size tyres and/ or wheels front and rear as does our 2 and the "tester" in my case, perhaps,looked only at the front tyre for the size.
I suggest in your case a similar error from whoever it was that did the documentation.
But convincing an awkward/ pedantic  examiner may be difficult for you.

Thanks for the suggestion and empathy.
It is not an issue though as the tires are specced ok in the required fields. The 205/50 is under the ´special observations´ and as such a deliberate addition by the importer Toyota. Makes no obvious sense.
I just might confuse matters more by mounting a 195/50  ;D
Nah first things first and that is the front strut brace.
Then hopefully the door stabilizers.
By that time I may have lighter wheels or not and depending on that thén go for the appropriate wubbah.

Tags: