Windscreen replacment

Started by thetyrant, March 24, 2019, 11:08

thetyrant

When I bought my roadster end of last year there was a central chip in the front screen but didn't really notice it when driving and looking at past mot history Its been there awhile without issue,  I did plan to see if it could be repaired which my local Halfords have done some in past on other cars with good results.

Also there has always been a bit of wind noise above 60mph which I put down to just the soft top, however after fitting a hardtop which makes things much quieter generally the wind noise was far more noticeable and was sure it was coming from top edge/passenger side of screen, also I had got the occasional leak from around same area when jet washing which initially again I had put down to softtop seals etc but it was no better with hardtop.

Short story I though I would get windscreen changed to be sure it was fully sealed and rule it out as cause or noise and leak, Autoglass came out yesterday and when he got screen out we found it wasnt even stuck to body all way up from front wing to top of screen on passenger side!!, also there was a 5mm or so gap in the sealant along top behind passenger sun visor area!... no wonder ive had the noise and leak!

New Screen fitted and after waiting a few hours to be sure its stuck down I went for a drive and wind noise has gone and car is much quieter, top result!....leak im sure will be sorted as well but need to leave a couple of days for glue to fully go off before washing.

Much happier now :D

Ex-2005 roadster  owner, i will be back :D

StuC

Must have had a replacement at some point that wasn't fitted properly.
When mine was replaced, the trim at the top of the screen came loose. So there are deffo issues when fitting screens even by "professionals".
URBAN CUSTARD COLLECTIVE FOUNDING MEMBER

thetyrant

Yes 100% wasn't original screen sorry I should of mentioned that, you could see where someone had put some silicone down the edge of screen no doubt to try and help seal it, I would think either previous fitter let glue go too far off before dropping screen in, or owner moved car before it was fully cured, ive had a few screen done in my time and always try not to move car for a few hours even though they say half hour or so is ok.

Got a new new genuine Toyota edge trim as well so all looks tiptop now :D

Ex-2005 roadster  owner, i will be back :D

StuC

I didn't get an OE trim with my replacement. :(
URBAN CUSTARD COLLECTIVE FOUNDING MEMBER

Tags: