Engine steady/damper

Started by Carolyn, March 30, 2019, 10:55

Petrus

Oh man, I nearly spat out my coffee on the screen.....

I feel vindicated though; you are human too!!!

Carolyn

Quote from: shnazzle on May  6, 2019, 11:43
Quote from: Carolyn on May  6, 2019, 11:19
Quote from: shnazzle on May  6, 2019, 11:07
Just tried to fit mine after having lifted the engine a bit and spent 45 unhappy moments trying to get windscreen adhesive in my mounts.
So, the engine was lifted a fair bit, but I still can't get the bracket high enough on the rear frame. Bit confused. In the pic above, is mine put together correctly?
If my engine has dropped that much that lifting it a fair bit puts it still too low, I might have no choice but to replace my entire mounts with some new ones.

I only had to shave that little corner of the head cover a tiny fraction to make the spacer fit, so that's good.

Ideally the through-bolt at the chassis end should be the other way up.

Try jacking the engine until the sleeve in the mount is absolutely centred vertically.  My mounts had sagged a lot, but the Tigerseal sorted them out.

If the bracket is still too low, tell me by how much and I'll send you a couple of extra spacers and a longer bolt for the chassis end.
*sigh*
You know what. Sometimes it'd be easier if I just got a pushbike. It's more at my level of intelligence.

I did draw two conclusions;
1) my mounts are too far gone. Without lifting, the engine drops so much that the bracket doesn't fit. Hence the need for more spacers etc. By a good 1.5cm.

2) If I don't get new ones, I need to redo this becauuusseee... I'm an idiot.

How does one do this? Easy!
Lift engine, put goop in mounts, let set fully, drop engine. Enjoy.

How did Patrick do this?
Lift engine, put a stand under the engine MOUNT, put goop in. Walk away happily. Job done.

Except for that, as I said, I'm an idiot, and I put the stand under the engine MOUNT. Not the engine. So, engine jdut dropped back to where it was when I removed the jack. What a tool.

Leave the engine on the jack for at least 12 hours before putting the weight on the mount.
Perry Byrnes Memorial Award 2016, 2018.  Love this club. 
https://www.mr2roc.org/forum/index.php?topic=63866.0

Carolyn

Can you dig the Sikkaflex out ok?

I take it you won't be needing the extra spacers I just made?? ::)

shnazzle

Quote from: Carolyn on May  6, 2019, 12:20
Can you dig the Sikkaflex out ok?

I take it you won't be needing the extra spacers I just made?? ::)
No need to dig out. I realised before it started to set.

Wrt spacers... You went out and made some??? Right, not sure I can fit enough bubbly for you into the car when we come... But no, hopefully won't need it
...neutiquam erro.

shnazzle

Mounts much better this morning. Trial-fitted the damper and it now aligns nicely with the rear frame. Will see if I can fit tonight and compare with my existing damper tomorrow on the drive to work
...neutiquam erro.

Carolyn

Quote from: shnazzle on May  7, 2019, 09:32
Mounts much better this morning. Trial-fitted the damper and it now aligns nicely with the rear frame. Will see if I can fit tonight and compare with my existing damper tomorrow on the drive to work

Well that's a result.  Won't be a direct comparison though - you fixed your motor mounts!!!

shnazzle

Quote from: Carolyn on May  7, 2019, 09:36
Quote from: shnazzle on May  7, 2019, 09:32

Well that's a result.  Won't be a direct comparison though - you fixed your motor mounts!!!
Well today I drove to work with fixed mounts and old damper. So tomorrow, fixed mounts and new damper :)
...neutiquam erro.

shnazzle

Fitted. Engine has dropped again. Nothing a few washers couldn't sort.
Will order new mounts soon
...neutiquam erro.

shnazzle

Compare of old vs new;

A fair bit stiffer (not surprisingly) with a rather large jump in cabin vibrations.
Positive of this is that gear shifts are even crisper now. The car feels and sounds very "racey" now.

I might get a well-fitting rubber o-ring and add it inside the damper to pick up some of the vibrations.

All in all a great bit of kit for that more "race car" feel.

Obviously this is in combination with firming up my mounts (which hasn't been 100% successful).
...neutiquam erro.

Carolyn

Quote from: shnazzle on May  8, 2019, 08:59
Compare of old vs new;

A fair bit stiffer (not surprisingly) with a rather large jump in cabin vibrations.
Positive of this is that gear shifts are even crisper now. The car feels and sounds very "racey" now.

I might get a well-fitting rubber o-ring and add it inside the damper to pick up some of the vibrations.

All in all a great bit of kit for that more "race car" feel.

Obviously this is in combination with firming up my mounts (which hasn't been 100% successful).

Shame about the mounts.  You could get some used ones off Rutland and Sikkaflex them before you put them in.

The extra vibration doesn't sound right.  I certainly didn't experience that.  If the centre of the rose joint is contacting its mount, that would cause more vibration.  But I think you've now got stiff mounts that are some compressed, you're getting the effect of PU inserts. (Which do cause more cabin vibration). 

I doubt messing with the innards of the damper will improve things.

Petrus

Have a look at my photos of the damper dismantled.
It makes little if at all sense to change anything inside.

I noticed nó change in vibrations whatsover btw.

Tags: