01 Red Roadster

Started by Chriss, April 1, 2019, 23:37

StuC

Quote from: Chriss on July 24, 2019, 16:36Now the bad news, after I reinstalled the tensioner I cranked the engine by hand but did not hear it release, so I removed it and tried again....same thing, I did it one more time and think I hear a faint click so I wend and started the car but it would not turn over, I hope I have not screwed the timing chain. Does anyone know how easy/hard it is to remove the timing cover to have a look?

@Carolyn @shnazzle @Call the midlife!

I have no experience per se one of the above I am sure have done it recently!
URBAN CUSTARD COLLECTIVE FOUNDING MEMBER

Carolyn

We discussed via PM.  No need to touch the timing cover to get a look.  I've advised to take the cam cover off and look from there.

This was a little while back and I've not heard anything, so I'm presuming all was good in the end.

Perry Byrnes Memorial Award 2016, 2018.  Love this club. 
https://www.mr2roc.org/forum/index.php?topic=63866.0

Chriss

I done the job on the weekend, The battery was flat which was my issue with the car starting, I did remove the Valve cover as per Carolyn's advice and confirmed that the chain had tension on it.

The car is all fixed now and the new exhaust is installed. It sounds good, not loud at all but much throatier than before.
Oil was a little dark so that is the next job.

Carolyn

Nice clean engine inside.  It's has regular oil changes, it seems.

Glad all was ok.  (I though it would be).  But now you know what the inside of your engine looks like, so no loss there eh?

Chriss

Exactly, It is a journey and as long as something is learned it is never a waste of time.

Chriss

So a few cosmetics,

I have swapped out the orange repeaters for clear ones.

I also found a front lip I like, I dont see many with this lip and wanted something to improve the front. I ditched the hardware that came with it as they were very poor and got some self tapping screws which did the job nicely.

I saw a 1zz to 2zz engine mount bracket and decided to pick it up because who knows what I might end up doing with the car in the future.

Since I have a TRD front brace for the wrong hand drive it wont fit due to the master brake cylinder lid being too tall, so I bought one of the American lids as they seem lower profile, it is a better fit but still pushes the brace too high on one side, I decided to cut the knobby part off the top just to test fit and it worked, the brace fitted however I had compromised the master-brake cylinder as air could now get to it so back on with the old lid. I hope I can find a low profile solution as I dont want to just let my brace gather dust.

Carolyn

You might take the brace to a fabricator and have him (her?) do a little cutting and welding to make the loop that goes round the reservoir?  Not a missive job for a fabricator.

Chriss

Quote from: Carolyn on January 18, 2020, 17:53You might take the brace to a fabricator and have him (her?) do a little cutting and welding to make the loop that goes round the reservoir?  Not a missive job for a fabricator.

Yeah, that is a good idea.

Chriss

A better shot of the splitter, it is not going anywhere but as it is made of plastic I feel it will just shatter if I hit anything, I wish it was polyurethane because I know when I eventually lower the car it will be troublesome.

Chriss

I got a replacement for the cloth seats from a member on here, Face-lift black Leather, I got the passenger side in before it got dark, the driverside will go in this Saturday..

I also picked up a spare set of Tail lights as I want to try my hand at turning them into LED tail lights, I would also like to find a place that will wrap my roof in gloss black.

Still need to get the manifold off and take care of the pre-cats but last I checked they looked good but it is a risk to keep them there. I might pick up a malian manifold from the bay.

Chriss

I done a quick photoshop of a direction I might head in looks wise.

J88TEO

Looks fantastic!
I had mine wrapped in carbon fibre look.

Chriss

An interior refresh, not much else I could do during the stormy weather but the leather seats are in and Havoc knobs add a touch of class missing from my interior before.

Chriss

So looking at things I have and need to install/do:

Remove Pre-cats
fix the rear bumper gap.
paint, wire and install Rear Spoiler
paint and install TRD style side skirts
Make some LED tail lights
Install Eibach lowering springs
clean up engine bay
Paint rocker cover.
Look at getting new wheels.
Wrap the hard top in gloss black.

And that will be my fun for the summer.

Chriss

I got my springs from Eibach, I am a little disappointed as they look more liner than progressive which will equal a really harsh/crashy ride. Sure we will see when they are installed.

Chriss

Weather has been awful every weekend so had no chance of doing anything, I managed to swap my TRD brace with a guy in Purto Rico so at least that is sorted now. So much to do and so little time.

Smithy

Cars looking good Criss. What make of front splitter is that?
03 Astral black MR2 OEM+

Chriss

Smithy

Thanks mate,looks nice
03 Astral black MR2 OEM+

Chriss

Had some sun for the first time in months so jumped on the chance to paint up my side skirts, they are fiberglass from HZ dynamics. I have to come up with a way to install them, I am thinking double sided 3m molding tape, I noticed a few people add screws to the area that meets the wheel wells, anyone gone through this already and what steps did they take?

Chriss

With all the time not being able to leave my house I got some will power to install some of the bodykit I had waiting to fit. I think it looks very well and the look I was after, I have a spoiler to go on but there is a big crack in the leg so will have to sort that first.

I also have a Toyosports manifold but the holes where it meets the block seem far too big for the studs. Anyone come across this?

Last thing to do is fit the Eibach pro springs but I am weary of doing this as I do not want to get an alignment done so may wait until Covid-19 passes.

Chriss

I finally got the manifold off, Heated ever bolt before removing and carefully got them all off, one of the 3 amigo studs snapped at the very end but no big deal. My precats were in perfect condition and now oil spots at all which I was happy with considering my car is a 2001.

It took longer than I wanted, maybe 3 days on and off to take off old manifold and put on new one.

I will need to check for leaks in the coming days, when I first turned the car on I thought it had a big hole in the top as there was that much smoke but it turns out it was just the Toyosports logo getting toasted as it is a different metal.

Chilli Girl

Car looks great Chriss, I do love a Chilli red. ;D
Ex owners of Chilli red facelift 52 reg called Chilli, silver 55 reg called Foxy and blue pfl W reg MR-S called Sapphire. Now 2 less!

BahnStormer

Quote from: Chriss on May 14, 2020, 14:59I thought it had a big hole in the top as there was that much smoke but it turns out it was just the Toyosports logo getting toasted as it is a different metal.

It'll stink even more when you wrap it... mine went on y'day and I had to an "essential" B-road blast to cleanse mine before I could take it into a supermarket carpark...
Black 2006: AC & heated leather: 4x Megillian braces, Koni/Tein custom suspension, MTEC+YS+braided brakes, Toyosports manifold, TTE exhaust, Conti PremiumContact2(summer)/ Conti TS860S(winter) / YokoAD08RS (track/summer), Pioneer MVH-390BT + TS-E171ci, FBSW, Robbins mohair hood.

Chriss

Nice, I like the look of your rear brace also, I was doing the car in-between jobs so had no time to drive it, I will give it a blast on Saturday.

Tags: