1ZZ Donor Engine

Started by kwnelson, May 3, 2019, 22:48

kwnelson

Putting the feelers out for a fresh engine for Eric!     I find loads on offer, surely these can not All be from 2's?    It seems that the 1ZZ is fitted to other Toyota vehicles and produce much less than the 140 bhp as per fitted to our 2's.   If this so, do I have to see the actual engine in situ in a 2 before I dare purchase, and witness, see, hear, running etc?

Silver FL 2004 bog standard with TTE,.   H/T On    S/T Perfect

Carolyn

Yep, the 1ZZ is a 'universa'l engine, fitted to many models.  (Rav 4, Avensis....) it comes as standard 1ZZ (lower power) or 1ZZ VVTI (that's the one you want).

Actually any 1ZZ VVTI will do the job. Any different bits bolt on to the basic engine and can be swapped over from the engine you've got. (Inlet manifold is special to the MR2).

Sadly even witnessing and engine running only tells you so much.  You'd have to drive it for a while to know if it's an oil-burner, for instance.

The best bet is to remove the cam cover and see how clean it is inside.  Loads of brown varnish is not a good sign.

You could buy one from one of our affiliate breakers.  It will have been run up and there's a good chance you'll get some history on it.  It still won''t (and can't) be absolutely guaranteed.

Whatever you do, always take the cam cover off, and the pan, and inspect it before you put it in.  If it needs a bit of work, better to do it before it's in the car.

Personally I always go through an engine before putting it in.  Most of the time, that works out well.
Perry Byrnes Memorial Award 2016, 2018.  Love this club. 
https://www.mr2roc.org/forum/index.php?topic=63866.0

kwnelson

I should have a direct line to you Carolyn, such knowledge and wisdom, thank you.    However I will stick to the club forum for the wider spread of advise .    Back to Q and A, how do you identify a VVTI, and, who are our "affiliate breakers/suppliers"?  One of the reasons I am on the hunt for a fresh engine is that mine has started leaking engine oil, mess on the drive and all that.  I need to get down under to see if there are any obvious points of leakage,  any pointers?

Carolyn

Perry Byrnes Memorial Award 2016, 2018.  Love this club. 
https://www.mr2roc.org/forum/index.php?topic=63866.0

Call the midlife!

That's usually a good start, the affiliates are in the forums section under "affiliates" or there's Richard Sloan up in Carlisle as previously mentioned.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
60% of the time it works everytime...

Call the midlife!

As for the leak, if it's not readily apparent then give everything a good clean and wait until you can see the source.
Especially if you have nappies fitted, the oil pans go porous after time due to rust.

Joesson

Not to mention the timing chain tensioner, ( oil seal. ) ,although that is apparent from above.

kwnelson

Carolyn,   Don't you dare shut up, I never meant that!   Only meant I wanted a wider response, from the lower list!

Call the midlife!

Lower list? Keep digging Keith, keep digging..[emoji23]

kwnelson

Man, it's hot down here!  How can I get out?

8thumpers

I still have my 1zz from out of the pfl v8 if you are interested.
It ran fine before I yanked it out - has sat on  the garage floor since then.

kwnelson

1.  Got to be dirt cheap.    2.  None oiler/knocker.   3.   Near to Richmond  North York's.   Not a lot to ask!

8thumpers

Quote from: kwnelson on May  5, 2019, 19:36
1.  Got to be dirt cheap.    2.  None oiler/knocker.   3.   Near to Richmond  North York's.   Not a lot to ask!

1. Name your price
2. Non oiler - ran fine
3. Use anyvan.com - cheap courier service

kwnelson

OP was "putting out feelers"    Hence not in a position to make offers.    Other than FOC!   For instance I would help clear out space in your garage.    I am also looking for a soft top as well as an engine and I am currently looking at making an offer for a FL which has both!  And could update my PFL.   Wish me luck in my searches.  No Kidding.

shnazzle

Certainly not impossible.
I've picked up a spare engine on here from a member. I have no reason to believe he isn't telling the truth that it's not a problem engine and cost me the equivalent of a very light night out.

So, seek/wait and thou shalt/might find
...neutiquam erro.

kwnelson

Quote from: shnazzle on May  5, 2019, 23:17
Certainly not impossible.
I've picked up a spare engine on here from a member. I have no reason to believe he isn't telling the truth that it's not a problem engine and cost me the equivalent of a very light night out.

So, seek/wait and thou shalt/might find

Bodgeroo

As a member in North York's who will very shortly be removing for sale a very good 70k non oil burning well maintained 1zz motor (with videos of it running). Can I comment?  >:D

kwnelson

Please comment Bodgeroo, like where are you and how much or if it is FOC please say and how soon will it be available.    ( I may even offer my services regarding the yank out)

Bodgeroo

I will drop you a PM any sale will have to be via the forum rules though. ;)

kwnelson

Snazzle, saw your not too long since post/offer/snatch of £50.   Was it new or very little used?   Seemed a bit expensive, but I suppose a night out further up North is now quite expensive!

Call the midlife!

I think you'd better prepare yourself for a wallet opening, average price for a 1zz on fleabay is £300.

kwnelson

Bodgeroo,   Chris no daydreaming allowed on this forum, everybody knows if you want to unload some rubbish you put it up on f.......y.   Snazzle has set the tone for a decent engine @ £50 and that is my budget and offer!   Cheers

shnazzle

Quote from: kwnelson on May  7, 2019, 17:40
Snazzle, saw your not too long since post/offer/snatch of £50.   Was it new or very little used?   Seemed a bit expensive, but I suppose a night out further up North is now quite expensive!
Expensive??
It's a 1zz in good condition, rebuilt a few thousand miles ago, with paperwork to prove it. I'd say that's a canny bargain indeed.
FOC is definitely possible, but expect to get a burner.
...neutiquam erro.

Badboy

I also need a 1zz facelift engine if anyone can help

Bodgeroo

Quote from: Badboy on June  3, 2019, 23:33
I also need a 1zz facelift engine if anyone can help
PM'd

Tags: