Looking at purchasing..

Started by B_Tank88, May 9, 2019, 09:51

B_Tank88

So I went to see it, first one I've seen.

Good points

Paintwork good
Interior excellent
Drove well
Engine sounded good smooth throughout rev range
Oil quality good
All fluid levels good, coolant nice and clean
Brakes straight and true
Exhaust new
Radiator new
New tyres 155 15 on front bridgestone
New tyres 215 16 on rear dunlop (I think!)
Handles bumps well no noises

Bad points
Slight constant brake disc rubbing grinding noise during drive. Did not go away after heavy braking.
Corrosion on one front spring
Corrosion on virtually all suspension components
Surface corrosion on rear sub frame, but solid certainly no holes even after knocking knuckles all over it.
Corrosion on brake calipers.
Nappy broken and removed
A few creaks when doing lock to lock steering stationary

He wants 2k if he gets it through the MOT.

Seems like a decent car I'm sure all cars this age will have rust but I would like to see another one anyway
2004 MR2 Roadster Sable/Red<br />2005 Corsa 1.2<br />2003 E46 M3 Coupe SMG

B_Tank88

jonbill

Quote from: B_Tank88 on May 24, 2019, 11:52
Going to try see this one at the weekend

https://www.gumtree.com/p/toyota/toyota-mr2-roadster-2004/1341020616
Looks nice and a good price.
That's Tesco car park!
Usual caveats apply- subframe, handbrake and oil level and condition and engine noise.

Gaz mr-s

Has he supplied you with the Reg' number to look up the MOT history?

The ad' wording makes him sound like a Trader.   No useful information that someone who knows these cars would state.  No pic' of driver's seat bolster.....  Hmm.....

Joesson

The radio aerial is in the up position. With ignition off this should retract. Either the car is stationary with ignition on or the aerial retracting mechanism is out of order. Not a game changer but perhaps a small discount .

B_Tank88

Yes I asked for the reg number. The last MOT fail was bad according to the MOT there was a lot corrosion picked up. He said that MOT tester was very overzealous and he took it to another one who said it's all surface corrosion and passed it.

Seller said this to me before I checked the history, he also said he has jacks and ramps so I can look underneath which I will definitely do.

The one that is of most concern to me is the area around suspension mountings so I'll have to check these thoroughly.

jvanzyl

Quote from: B_Tank88 on May 24, 2019, 13:28
Yes I asked for the reg number. The last MOT fail was bad according to the MOT there was a lot corrosion picked up. He said that MOT tester was very overzealous and he took it to another one who said it's all surface corrosion and passed it.

Seller said this to me before I checked the history, he also said he has jacks and ramps so I can look underneath which I will definitely do.

The one that is of most concern to me is the area around suspension mountings so I'll have to check these thoroughly.

new crossmember - £350 odd
suspension struts refresh £700 odd
new bushings (poly) all round £360 odd...

Labour to fit all that if you were to be paying someone is roughly £600 or less

so call it 2k and you have brand new suspension all round and no worries about the cross member. If you like the car then cool..

B_Tank88

How much would getting a replacement roof cost? Where can you get this done?

Ardent

Jack smith in swansea.

Do a searchhere. Very good value.

Ardent

@B_Tank88

Just spotted LE9 in your location.
Desford?

B_Tank88

Earl Shilton, very close to Desford.

I like this car but it needs some repairs on the roof. A lot cleaner underneath than the last one I seen for a better price.

Also both dipped beams aren't working, I'm hoping they're bulbs only or could it be something else?

Ardent

Likely bulbs as iffy headlight wiring is not a reported issue.
Cloudy lenses yes.

As the suspicious lot we are. If something as simple as bulbs has been overlooked/ignored what else.........

B_Tank88

Well, he replaced the bulbs and now I've bought it! £

1400 because the roof has some holes, but hes included 2 stormsure kits which will do a temporary repair to the roof and this will be my new daily.

It's not perfect of course but for the price it's really not bad at all.

Topdownman

Congratulations!

Now you've got one, will you be coming to Ding day on saturday?

(Get some pictures up....).
"Racing" tax disc holder (binned), Poundland air freshener, (ran out), Annoying cylinder deficiency,  (sorted),
Winner of the Numb bum award 2017
Readers Ride

06 not V6 readers ride

Ardent

Can feel a mini meet coming on.

There are a good few leicestershire and Notts owners on here now, must be able to arrange a little meet up.

Note to self; start new thread.

B_Tank88

I also need a front fog light housing, it's all powdery and smashed. Hope it's not a big job to replace.

I'll get pics up soon when I've done the little bit of TLC it needs.

Carolyn

Quote from: Ardent on May 26, 2019, 17:09
Can feel a mini meet coming on.

There are a good few leicestershire and Notts owners on here now, must be able to arrange a little meet up.

Note to self; start new thread.

Sunday 14th July, Sywell!
Perry Byrnes Memorial Award 2016, 2018.  Love this club. 
https://www.mr2roc.org/forum/index.php?topic=63866.0

B_Tank88

So the car is currently at father in law's place in Manchester where I bought it, I'll be collecting it in a couple of weeks and then put my Corsa on for sale.

I used the stormsure kits to attempt a repair on the roof but it was very fiddly and the tears were right next to the roof bars/mechanisms where access is tricky so I couldn't to the tidyest of jobs. I'll have to see how it looks when it dries. If I'm not happy with it then I'm going to have to consider a replacement roof.

List of items to do currently:
Potential roof replacement
Front foglight replacement (cracked)
Handbrake adjustment (hold is very weak)
Glovebox latch is very sticky and sometimes doesn't close

Looking forward to picking it up in a couple of weeks I've already ordered the foglight and bulb, hopefully the handbrake adjustment is pretty straight forward providing the calipers aren't seized.

B_Tank88

Roof replacement booked with Jack Smith first week of August.  8)

It's a bonus he works on Saturday's as it means I don't have to take a day off work, more than happy to wait 2 months for that.

Quoted price 330 inc vat, black with glass screen. The glass screen is on exchange basis so will take mine and he will use another he has in stock.

Rang a few places closer to me they charge near enough a grand.

jvanzyl

Quote from: B_Tank88 on May 28, 2019, 14:41

It's a bonus he works on Saturday's as it means I don't have to take a day off work, more than happy to wait 2 months for that.

Quoted price 330 inc vat, black with glass screen. The glass screen is on exchange basis so will take mine and he will use another he has in stock.

You sure you want to have a black one? You've got the red seats, so if you went for a red/maroon roof it'd look quite nice.. have a look at some of the other sables on the forum/google and you'll see what I mean.

Joesson

Ears* have not been mentioned on here in sometime!
My understanding is that Jack will provide the necessary tunnel like pocket to accommodate the anti- ear strap if requested prior to the event.

*Ears, protrusions of the hood when in a folded position.

B_Tank88

Quote from: jvanzyl on May 28, 2019, 14:48
Quote from: B_Tank88 on May 28, 2019, 14:41

You sure you want to have a black one? You've got the red seats, so if you went for a red/maroon roof it'd look quite nice.. have a look at some of the other sables on the forum/google and you'll see what I mean.

Yeah I thought about the red, Jack mentioned that the red does tend to fade after some time and recommended the black so I just said black is fine. I can always change my mind until a few weeks before. I might just ask him to do my broken foglight too if I give him the part.

Carolyn

He does roofs.  Period!!  Oh, and politics.... :D
Perry Byrnes Memorial Award 2016, 2018.  Love this club. 
https://www.mr2roc.org/forum/index.php?topic=63866.0

jvanzyl

Quote from: Carolyn on May 29, 2019, 10:36
He does roofs.  Period!!  Oh, and politics.... :D
Lol....  Even IF the red fades over time- and I've not seen one yet. It's not that much to put a new one on or use some kind of product to restore the colour?

Go for red!

And yeah- if don't want to be there talking politics your need to excuse yourself immediately..

househead

Red roof on Sable mr2 looks awesome. Not sure if my mohair (apparently) is from Swansea or not as it was replaced (in 2016) before I bought it and it was the ex-ex-owner that didn't keep receipts etc. What I do know though, is it's a very good roof and as I say, looks amazing on the dark grey body. Cleaned it with Renovo yesterday and was going to waterproof-treat it today, until it started smashing it down outside :(
2004 Sable Red Edition, TTE Twin Exhaust, Toyosports Manifold

Tags: