Car lift hire

Started by wotugonado, May 11, 2019, 20:10

wotugonado

Looking for opinions please on the following

What's the consensus on a lift ramp hire facility with tools included?

What would people be willing to pay for
Half day rate and full day rate? Please state your general area as I know there's a North South divide on cost.

I've had about enough of rolling around under the car and I reckon there must be a few of us out there in the same boat. Just gauging interest. Any opinions apreciated.
---------------Tte turbo----------------
      Graced the tarmac from 2014-2019

The Other Stu

I know there's someone on the FB group that does this. I know you don't do FB, but might be worth setting up a sock puppet account as there is helpful stuff on this.

I considered it. Problem for me is if someone gets badly hurt or worse, the family is going to want to come after someone. You'd need some kind of insurance. You'd need some heavyweight liability for a start.

Even if you think you'd be ok with getting people to sign a waiver, ultimately if there's blame, there's a claim!
No Longer Here

wotugonado

Yeah cheers, it would be a properly run business with all insurances in place, also there would be a some sort of safety briefing and disclaimer In place, with cctv coverage and either a driving licence or credit card being required before you can hire a bay.
Any idea on what you'd pay?

Bossworld

There's a firm south of me who does this service. Been tempted to do it to try and sort my clutch fork squeak but not sure it's worth risking it for an hour. Any more and I'd be better of trying a garage

https://www.u-service.co.uk/about-services/

wotugonado

Quote from: Bossworld on May 11, 2019, 22:49
There's a firm south of me who does this service. Been tempted to do it to try and sort my clutch fork squeak but not sure it's worth risking it for an hour. Any more and I'd be better of trying a garage

https://www.u-service.co.uk/about-services/

Thanks for that

Johnny5

I'd be really interested in being able to hire a ramp for changing my oil.  I've looked on the internet, and there are various places that do it.  But I don't think any of them are very close to me. 

I might just bite the bullet and go to a mechanic, hand them my oil, filter and a bag of cable ties for the nappy, and get them to do the whole job.  Would only cost a little more than the, honestly quite expensive, rates for hiring a ramp and doing it myself.  Last time I reversed the car up on to 4" ramps, and that was a pretty claustrophobic experience.  Trouble is, lift the back up any higher, like on 8" metal ramps, and the engine's tilted over at such an extreme angle that you don't get all the oil out.  Lifting the back of the car up just 4", I found I only got about 3 litres of oil in, and the dipstick was on the max.  Keeping the car level is a good thing. 

Carolyn

Quote from: Johnny5 on May 12, 2019, 12:13
I'd be really interested in being able to hire a ramp for changing my oil.  I've looked on the internet, and there are various places that do it.  But I don't think any of them are very close to me. 

I might just bite the bullet and go to a mechanic, hand them my oil, filter and a bag of cable ties for the nappy, and get them to do the whole job.  Would only cost a little more than the, honestly quite expensive, rates for hiring a ramp and doing it myself.  Last time I reversed the car up on to 4" ramps, and that was a pretty claustrophobic experience.  Trouble is, lift the back up any higher, like on 8" metal ramps, and the engine's tilted over at such an extreme angle that you don't get all the oil out.  Lifting the back of the car up just 4", I found I only got about 3 litres of oil in, and the dipstick was on the max.  Keeping the car level is a good thing.

When you drain the engine oil, once you've opened the drain and caught what will come out, (making sure you have a flatish tray for the job) let it back down and carry on dribbling for a good 30 minutes.

Then jack it back up, do the filter and put the plug back in.

Now you can fill her properly.
Perry Byrnes Memorial Award 2016, 2018.  Love this club. 
https://www.mr2roc.org/forum/index.php?topic=63866.0

Tags: